• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 2017 ComicLink show 'em if you got 'em thread
11 11

789 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:
8 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

That Ms. Marvel 3 CGC 9.8.  Wow, but not shocking considering the census on that book.

image1.png

Alright - A one dollar book in a $1210 slab, plus premium, plus postage.  :golfclap: Man, some folks have a lot of extra bucks to waste. :banana:

7 hours ago, Lego said:

Cheese and crackers... That's a hefty price for a total non-key.

Not sure what you guys are talking about as that price for the Ms. Marvel 3 is peanuts compared to what this other Marvel non-key book sold for:   :screwy:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689571&title=IRONMAN

Now, that's what I would call as an outrageous price for a non-key, but then it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure what you guys are talking about as that price for the Ms. Marvel 3 is peanuts compared to what this other Marvel non-key book sold for:   :screwy:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689571&title=IRONMAN

Now, that's what I would call as an outrageous price for a non-key, but then it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

Wow... That's eye-popping!  What's really weird about that is there were 53 bids.  Were there really two (or more) people willing to spend that kind of coin on that particular book, or was this a shilly affair?

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:
10 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

That Ms. Marvel 3 CGC 9.8.  Wow, but not shocking considering the census on that book.

image1.png

Alright - A one dollar book in a $1210 slab, plus premium, plus postage.  :golfclap: Man, some folks have a lot of extra bucks to waste. :banana:

9 hours ago, Lego said:

can you verify that sale?  9_9

Pretty sure I overpaid for this but I think it is still cheaper than going through the facilitators, the individual charges for Stan and Romita, as well as the price for the grading and the book itself...

IMG_5897.JPG

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Pretty sure I overpaid for this but I think it is still cheaper than going through the facilitators, the individual charges for Stan and Romita, as well as the price for the grading and the book itself...

IMG_5897.JPG

I would gladly deface your books for free...,  :D

Do you think Stan intentionally was roping Peter's feet together with his signature? (shrug)

I like to think so...., :D

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

IMG_5897.JPG

Nice book!

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Do you think Stan intentionally was roping Peter's feet together with his signature? (shrug)

I'm always torn when it comes to whether or not artists signing books they worked on is defacing the book.  I would never have a 9.8 copy of this book signed... midgrade copies are fair game to me though.  

As far as Stan's sig placement I said the same thing but we both know we have seen worse.  I would not have bid if his signature was over the characters' faces.  I know you crack many books out but do you ever get SS books at all and crack those out?  

I view my few SS books like autographed baseballs so I am mostly am chasing the signature or sketch and not the book.  To me the CGC case is like the Steiner certification with baseballs.

Just now, Buzzetta said:

I'm always torn when it comes to whether or not artists signing books they worked on is defacing the book.  I would never have a 9.8 copy of this book signed... midgrade copies are fair game to me though.  

As far as Stan's sig placement I said the same thing but we both know we have seen worse.  I would not have bid if his signature was over the characters' faces.  I know you crack many books out but do you ever get SS books at all and crack those out?  

I view my few SS books like autographed baseballs so I am mostly am chasing the signature or sketch and not the book.  To me the CGC case is like the Steiner certification with baseballs.

The only way I would buy a sig series book is if it was significantly discounted from it's undefaced counterpart.  That doesn't seem to happen, with most thinking an autograph adds a premium.

I don't really collect autographs.  That being said, I have a few autographed raw books, but who is to say whether the sigs are real?  I didn't buy them because of the sigs, I bought them because they were NMish copies.  And they're signed on the first interior page, not the cover.

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:
22 hours ago, lizards2 said:

21 hours ago, Lego said:

can you verify that sale?  9_9

Well, if it is still on their site, I am quite sure that the sale must have gone through.

If the sale had not gone through, the auction listing and details would have been removed. 

I am quite sure this is just another case of somebody buying the label since it is the single highest graded copy of Iron Man 30.  We have seen so many of these highest graded copies resulting in some silly dollars being paid, and of course we all know what happens at the end in the long run.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

33 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The only way I would buy a sig series book is if it was significantly discounted from it's undefaced counterpart.  That doesn't seem to happen, with most thinking an autograph adds a premium.

I don't really collect autographs.  That being said, I have a few autographed raw books, but who is to say whether the sigs are real?  I didn't buy them because of the sigs, I bought them because they were NMish copies.  And they're signed on the first interior page, not the cover.

Yeah I think my viewpoint is an extension of baseball autographs.  

35 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I'm probably in the minority of opinion, and like Marvel says, people just don't want that. :foryou:

I hadn't ever really considered buying a sig series book until this past week when a LOSH #300* came up with signatures from Neal Adams and Keith Giffen.  It sold for dirt cheap (under $30) and I probably should have pulled the trigger, but I didn't.  I just don't get that excited about sigs.  Maybe if it was a Giffen/Maguire signed JLI #1...

*(This was the second comic I ever owned/read so it has some sentimental value for me.)

Speaking of Signature Series... bought my first one ever.  Forgot to post these from earlier in the week.  I rarely buy modern books but these both seemed like a really good deal.  Only paid $59 and $41,..  Did pretty decent?  Everyone hates modern 9.6 but I've always said its better than a raw.

RADD865B2017227_11148.jpgRAD58EF3201733_135344.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

On 2017-03-30 at 8:15 AM, Drummy said:

Some of the books I was looking at finished at CRAZY prices -- $5300 for a Journey Into Mystery #103 in 9.0 wp?

Did it look good for the grade?

Is it possible the book was upgradeable?

That's generally what I find when a book goes for stupid money. Not every time but often.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:27 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don't often, but when I do... It's uh...for a reason.

I did just buy a slabbed Adventure Time 1 A SS by several cast members, writers and artists, and the series creator. It was worth it to me because I love the series and I'll never have a chance to collect all those autographs. 

12 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Did it look good for the grade?

Is it possible the book was upgradeable?

That's generally what I find when a book goes for stupid money. Not every time but often.

Yes, the eye appeal was superior, the pages were white -- did not look upgradeable from the scan, but maybe so.  And there's the new movie coming out with Enchantress and Executioner as well.  

Still felt a little weird, though, given that the GPA high from December for a 9.0 was $1826 and the 9.6 price was about $4200 from a few years back. Obviously it's a great book, but $5300 still felt a bit wild to me.  To each his own!

Dan