• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 2017 ComicLink show 'em if you got 'em thread
11 11

789 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

In terms of prices compared to 90 day GPA would people say it was a strong first day or weak one?  I glanced at some of the ASM 9.8s but lost interest fairly quickly.

Prices were very strong on the ASMs.  I tracked most of them and had interests in about 9 of them nearly all went above 12 month GPA with several setting new GPA highs and blowing past all previous sale prices.  I saw 2 ASM 9.8s double the 12 month GPA. Many of those were those with low census counts and great eye appeal. I saw only 2 or 3 that went for what I would consider a value compared to GPA and cover and page quality.  I missed out on 1 of those by signing on late but was ok since it allowed me to save up for the ones I put in stronger bids for.

I put strong bids in for 4 and only won 2 and lost the other 5 I had moderate bids in at.  

In all I'm happy with my wins but at this rate I'm going to have to settle for just 1 or 2 books per auction compared to past years when I'd nab 5 or 6 for the same amount.

Got nothing this round (again).  I'm astounded at some of the final hammer bids.  Put a really aggressive bid on that 'Tec 359 cgc 9.2 that I thought was a sure thing, but lost out fairly early.  Went for a mind boggling $7,909.  Way more than the 9.6 that sold two years ago and near the price of the 9.8 that sold back in '13.

5 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Got nothing this round (again).  I'm astounded at some of the final hammer bids.  Put a really aggressive bid on that 'Tec 359 cgc 9.2 that I thought was a sure thing, but lost out fairly early.  Went for a mind boggling $7,909.  Way more than the 9.6 that sold two years ago and near the price of the 9.8 that sold back in '13.

The 9.4 Pacific Coast sale($13,380) got the ball rollin'

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D2&id=1152737

Edited by Junkdrawer

31 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

:pullhair:

There was only one book that did interest me in that auction and I thought I had saved it from the pressers tonight with a bid of 70% above GPA (despite the rust on staples) but have been outbid at the last second.

:cry:

I much prefer comicconnect s extended bidding for that very reason

11 hours ago, justafan said:

Prices were very strong on the ASMs.  I tracked most of them and had interests in about 9 of them nearly all went above 12 month GPA with several setting new GPA highs and blowing past all previous sale prices.  I saw 2 ASM 9.8s double the 12 month GPA. Many of those were those with low census counts and great eye appeal. I saw only 2 or 3 that went for what I would consider a value compared to GPA and cover and page quality.  I missed out on 1 of those by signing on late but was ok since it allowed me to save up for the ones I put in stronger bids for.

I put strong bids in for 4 and only won 2 and lost the other 5 I had moderate bids in at.  

In all I'm happy with my wins but at this rate I'm going to have to settle for just 1 or 2 books per auction compared to past years when I'd nab 5 or 6 for the same amount.

GPA is a lagging indicator. If you use it price hot books you'll forever be losing out.

20 hours ago, Brian48 said:

The 'Tec 359 ended about where I thought it would, maybe a little higher. That was a gorgeous copy and the pedigree probably gave bidders an excuse to throw a little bonus cash at it. With what people are asking on 8.5's ('cause 9.0's and up have been pretty scarce in the marketplace even with this book's rising prices), I think this was right about in line with the surge Babs has had over the last year. I didn't get anything this round either, just put in a few half-hearted bids, but I'm more focused on the Bats in the CLink at the end of the month.

21 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Of the three books I was paying attention to, two seemed awful strong, a 'Tec #85 and a 'Tec #91.  I'm wondering how the CC auctions might have effected sales as well.  For example.  At 8:00 a Bats #181 9.0 W goes off and ends at $4,000, last sale being $1800 and the GPA high is $1875 (both sales in 2016) but at 10:10 on CL a Bats #181 9.4 W ends at $6700, with the last sale and GPA high being $6450.  So one is an abberation, just not sure which one hm

Jim

There's a gap in the GPA info on 181 9.0 because CLink had a sale around $2400 a few auctions back (CLink isn't recorded in GPA, right?), so it was already on the way up. I bought mine (gleefully, I might add) for the same price off the boards a few months ago using that sale as the basis. Still, $4k seems like the outlier in this scenario -- could be that the 9.0 seemed to be in a more affordable price range so attracted more bidders whereas the 9.4 might've been written off by most expecting nosebleed prices. Just a guess.

Fell asleep last night and forgot about a few books that were not closed yet.  Was really hoping to win the MP #4, which I bought off the stands back in the day.  Ended up with this MP #7 instead.  

RADC82E52017815_17920.jpg

Not sure why I bid so high on it to be honest.  It's sharp copy and I'm happy, but I already had  a 9.4.  

Edited by Brian48
typing mistake.

17 hours ago, The-Collector said:

GPA is a lagging indicator. If you use it price hot books you'll forever be losing out.

As opposed to what?  Overstreet? What pricing "indicator" should I be using then?  I didn't consider many of the ones I was after as "hot" SA/BA books but if they are I guess I'll have to wait until they cool off.  Just curious...what do you use to price these so-called "hot books"?  Seriously, I really want to know.(shrug)???

54 minutes ago, justafan said:

As opposed to what?  Overstreet? What pricing "indicator" should I be using then?  I didn't consider many of the ones I was after as "hot" SA/BA books but if they are I guess I'll have to wait until they cool off.  Just curious...what do you use to price these so-called "hot books"?  Seriously, I really want to know.(shrug)???

Everyone can see GPA...so if you think you are the only one who will bid GPA then you will likely lose out. How much you bid depends on how much you want it and can afford it. 

Just say if I bid X and it goes for X+50 would I be mad...if yes then bid X+50

keep going until it would not make you sad to lose out ...that's your max bid 

4 minutes ago, Doc Joe said:

Everyone can see GPA...so if you think you are the only one who will bid GPA then you will likely lose out.

I win lots of stuff using 3/4 to 1/2 of GPA.  Some people apparently use less.

2 hours ago, Doc Joe said:

Everyone can see GPA...so if you think you are the only one who will bid GPA then you will likely lose out. How much you bid depends on how much you want it and can afford it. 

Just say if I bid X and it goes for X+50 would I be mad...if yes then bid X+50

keep going until it would not make you sad to lose out ...that's your max bid 

I never said I bid GPA prices, I only used it as a reference for how strong prices were going compared to past observations. What I also didn't say, but was implying, is that these prices this year are stronger than past auction prices I've also tracked relative to their 12 month gpa at the time. The 2 books I won I actually bid the highest I was willing to (well over gpa) in order to win them and it seems that's everyone's strategy these days.

Not everyone uses gpanalysis but it seems that many that do use it as the floor as opposed to the ceiling Ive tracked clink auctions for the last 5 years and clink auctions up until a year and a half to 2 years ago, many prices on closing bids were at or below the 12 month gpa for books in my focus.  

Guess we r in a "hot cycle" for those books and I will have to settle for what I'm willing to pay or just lose out.

Btw, I'm still curious if there's other price indices you guys use outside of gpa, go collect, ebay, or heritage auction archives?

4 hours ago, justafan said:
21 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Most people don't use GPA properly in my opinion. GPA is not a price guide. This is why it fails when you use it as one.

It's a record of previous sales (as in the past).

People use GPA in an effort to try to get a book at less than the last GPA.

If that continues, eventually everyone's collections are worth less, not more.