• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought comic book collecting was cutthroat and competitive...

79 posts in this topic

I think the market is just getting started for this branch of collecting. Comics nearly missed out on a generation with the boom and bust of the 90's. There are millions of kids who grew up with video games as their primary hobby, and those are the characters and "stories" that they're interested in. Nostalgia kicks in, and suddenly paying big $$$ for a sealed copy of something that you sank so much of your time into as a kid seems appealing.

I don't collect games myself, but I cohost a vintage gaming show and one of my best friends is a collector, so I've been to shows and stuff. We've already seen huge leaps in values, I think it's just the beginning.

I think the market is just getting started for this branch of collecting. Comics nearly missed out on a generation with the boom and bust of the 90's. There are millions of kids who grew up with video games as their primary hobby, and those are the characters and "stories" that they're interested in. Nostalgia kicks in, and suddenly paying big $$$ for a sealed copy of something that you sank so much of your time into as a kid seems appealing.

I don't collect games myself, but I cohost a vintage gaming show and one of my best friends is a collector, so I've been to shows and stuff. We've already seen huge leaps in values, I think it's just the beginning.

collecting the sealed stuff is too easy... ya gotta go original art work for a challenge ;)

bK97XFq.jpg

I have a shoe box of 5 1/4 inch floppy disks full of Commodore 64 games. I hate to toss them because so many hours were spent with my 300 baud, and then 1200 baud, modem downloading them or getting them mailed from "crackers" in Europe...(is it still a copyright violation if i was 12 and it was 32 years ago?)..I'm not sure where my C64 is (probably in my mother's storage locker) or if it still works, but I hate the idea of throwing them away!

Let's see if I can remember..

Load "$", 8 for the directory

Load "___", 8, 1 if the game is in machine language..

Ahh, good times, but no wonder the software companies stopped making games for those computers, I don't think anyone paid for them except for the copy they bought to crack and distribute

This brings back memories...I don't even remember how I got games for my C64 but I remember Fast Hack'em was an awesome program to have.

collecting the sealed stuff is too easy... ya gotta go original art work for a challenge ;)

bK97XFq.jpg

Panic Restaurant!

bK97XFq.jg

Panic Restaurant!

at least one person recognizes it :insane: thanks dude

"I don't even remember how I got games for my C64"

You don't remember hacking MCI codes and calling all over the country to download games from various BBSes?

That I do. Good times. :insane:

Don't pick up the phone! I'm getting a game!

Ahh, juvenile criminality.

Millenials who grew up with the actual internet have no idea what we're talking about.

Watch War Games.

"I don't even remember how I got games for my C64"

You don't remember hacking MCI codes and calling all over the country to download games from various BBSes?

That I do. Good times. :insane:

Don't pick up the phone! I'm getting a game!

Ahh, juvenile criminality.

Millenials who grew up with the actual internet have no idea what we're talking about.

Watch War Games.

They sure don't. I remember how painful it was to load a text game from off a cassette tape on the C64. Type, "Load", press "Play" on the datasette and then waiting forever for the thing to load.

I've been buying and selling comics for years now, and I've seen how cutthroat and competitive it can be at times. However, in my experience, comic collecting has got nothing on the world of retro video games. I've been buying and selling games a lot recently and I can't believe how awful people are in the hobby. Sellers don't honor deals, other buyers try to screw with your transactions, and you get stabbed in the back left and right. It's like some of these people have no ethics whatsoever. At the end of the day, comic collecting isn't so bad after all. Can you guys think of any other hobbies that are more cutthroat and competitive than comics?

Pinball machines are even worse. You throw in the logistics of transporting and moving machines, and delays occur, which gives sellers the opportunity to turn every sale into an auction. Buyers constantly try to torpedo done deals made with other customers, lie about the price sellers get (in the hope of destroying a deal, then lowballing the seller when they suddenly "realize" an previously undiscovered issue), etc. It's vicious and nasty, and the only thing that keeps me going are the infrequent honorable people in the hobby.

bK97XFq.jpg

Every time I see goofy video game covers from that era I like to think that the artist or a collector has that piece hanging over their mantle in a 6-inch gold frame with soft lighting spotlighting it. Especially Shufflepuck Cafe :cloud9: Panic Restaurant is a great one, though. Very nicely realized.

bK97XFq.jpg

You should have taken this picture topless.

i.imgur.commK97XFq.jpg

Every time I see goofy video game covers from that era I like to think that the artist or a collector has that piece hanging over their mantle in a 6-inch gold frame with soft lighting spotlighting it. Especially Shufflepuck Cafe :cloud9: Panic Restaurant is a great one, though. Very nicely realized.

Funny you mention shufflepuck cafe; Id never heard of it but it sold on heritage a while back.

As for others I have ones that are goofy and I'm proud to own them though not in the way you describe.... more in the way that countless goofy comic oa is prized despite what it looks like too.