• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Hardcore Henry"

21 posts in this topic

Anybody see this movie yet? I saw it last night and it soooooooo lives up to its title.

The movie is like a First Person Shooter game come to life. It's entirely shot from a first-person viewpoint, as if filmed using a GoPro camera or whatever.

The title character, Henry, wakes up and discovers that some of his body parts are being replaced by a beautiful woman in a lab environment. He looks down and sees his lower leg spinning around, and she pulls it off, reaches over, grabs a replacement leg and it spins on (even though his leg likes like a normal human leg). He has no memory of who he is or what he's doing there, but slowly pieces together key bits of information as the movie unfolds. There are various twists and turns...

It reminds me of that scene in "Robocop" where he first wakes up as a cyborg, with people leaning over him and testing his hand strength and such. ("Hardcore Henry" even has a similar hand-crushing-an-object moment.) Except this point-of-view style is the entire movie.

There are a lot of action scenes. They have special effects that are blended in to real-world environments in a way where much of the time, you can't tell which is which because you have no point of reference for this style of P.O.V. filmmaking. There's parkour-type scenes of jumping around, climbing the sides of buildings, etc. that appear to be mostly real-life stunts, but who knows?

There is a LOT of violence... If you liked "John Wick" then this is up your alley. If you like role-playing games and first-person shooter games like Max Payne, Call of Duty, Counterstrike, Doom/Quake, etc. then this is totally in your zone.

There's also a pretty decent science-fiction storyline with some elements I've never seen done before, and not in as entertaining of a way.

Highly recommended! Beware of motion sickness though.

This is a great movie! I was really surprised how well the "gimmick" worked.

If you haven't seen the director's work before, here is his original video called "Bad Motherf---er". All shot from the same first person POV.

When this first came out I just passed it up as an experiment that was bound to fail. I don't get motion sick from movies but I thought even this looked like too much. I went ahead and gave it a shot a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. The camera motion really wasn't that bad; it's probably even less annoying than your typical found footage horror movie. It really does feel like a FPS and even has a cool "final boss".

Hardcore Akan #1 was the prequel comic.

What a lot of people don't know is that Hardcore Akan #1 PREVIEW EDITION was given out at the Hardcore Henry SXSW premier and if the movie stands the test of time should be sought after.

Personally I don't think people are going to care if they don't make a sequel film.

What a lot of people don't know is that Hardcore Akan #1 PREVIEW EDITION was given out at the Hardcore Henry SXSW premier and if the movie stands the test of time should be sought after.

Personally I don't think people are going to care if they don't make a sequel film.

I think I remember hearing something about that... but then again you could be making this up and I'd still believe you since I don't care enough to google it.

I'd watch the sequel, but yeah... no one is busting down doors for it.

I think I remember hearing something about that... but then again you could be making this up and I'd still believe you since I don't care enough to google it.

look at the top left corner. SXSW edition.

Hardcore-Akan-1-1-600x917.jpg

Any difference between that and the "summer 2016" edition? other than the cover?

Any difference between that and the "summer 2016" edition? other than the cover?

Only difference i that it came out first. I'm pretty sure theres a website selling them for cover plus shipping. I got four copies. I don't think anyone cares but its interesting.