• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: WASTELAND (TBD)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

George Miller was originally talking about this sequel during the release of Fury Road.

George Miller Dishes On His Plans For Two Potential MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Sequels

Shortly after Fury Road's theatrical release, Miller revealed that he'd already started work on a follow-up with the working title Mad Max: The Wasteland, and here explains that the seeds for the sequel were sewn within the 2015 film.

As Fury Road's production stopped and started, Miller "dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artefacts and things like that." The exploration into his world of Mad Max resulted in the creation of two scripts, though of which will become The Wasteland, Miller is uncertain. "So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying," he says. "We're talking to the studio about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I'm not so sure."

However, as he's previously stated, we shouldn't expect Miller to crank out a new Mad Max installment instantly, as the 70-year-old filmmaker is looking to do something much smaller. "I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly," he dishes. "We shot Fury Road for eight months… that's a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it's very wearing. We've got two more planned, but at some point in the future."

And now, so is Tom Hardy.

Tom Hardy Confirms ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland’ Is Still Happening

mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-slice1-600x200.jpg

While appearing at the ongoing TCA 2017 event to talk up his new FX series Taboo, Hardy also fielded a few questions regarding the future of the Mad Max franchise. During the panel, he confirmed that there’s much more to explore in the mythology and he’s anxiously waiting for Miller to get things rolling again. And as a bonus, in a 1-on-1 interview with our own Christina Radish, Hardy commented on his franchise film deal and the status of the two previously announced Mad Max films.

"I’m anxiously waiting to find out. There’s mythology to do with Mad Max that spans copious amounts of tales. What’s wonderful about George [Miller] is that he’s created sagas for Max and sagas for Furiosa, so it’s what he chooses to focus in on. I’m really just waiting for the call like, “All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.” It’s there. I’m just waiting for it and looking forward to it."

Hardy confirmed that he’s signed on for a total of three films and that the working title of Mad Max: The Wasteland might not be the final title, but the movie’s still a go:

"Yeah, as far as I’ve signed to do three of them. It’s a question of when. I’m not sure it’s called The Wasteland or not ‘cause you never know. These titles change all the time. But, there’s definitely another Mad Max project pending."

"I love working with George [Miller] and the fact that his mythology is so deep. It’s a joy to work with an artist and somebody who has the ability to be a movie maker, as well. It’s the full package, isn’t it?"

Edited by Bosco685

George Miller was originally talking about this sequel during the release of Fury Road.

George Miller Dishes On His Plans For Two Potential MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Sequels

Shortly after Fury Road's theatrical release, Miller revealed that he'd already started work on a follow-up with the working title Mad Max: The Wasteland, and here explains that the seeds for the sequel were sewn within the 2015 film.

As Fury Road's production stopped and started, Miller "dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artefacts and things like that." The exploration into his world of Mad Max resulted in the creation of two scripts, though of which will become The Wasteland, Miller is uncertain. "So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying," he says. "We're talking to the studio about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I'm not so sure."

However, as he's previously stated, we shouldn't expect Miller to crank out a new Mad Max instalment instantly, as the 70-year-old filmmaker is looking to do something much smaller. "I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly," he dishes. "We shot Fury Road for eight months… that's a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it's very wearing. We've got two more planned, but at some point in the future."

And now, so is Tom Hardy.

Tom Hardy Confirms ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland’ Is Still Happening

mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-slice1-600x200.jpg

While appearing at the ongoing TCA 2017 event to talk up his new FX series Taboo, Hardy also fielded a few questions regarding the future of the Mad Max franchise. During the panel, he confirmed that there’s much more to explore in the mythology and he’s anxiously waiting for Miller to get things rolling again. And as a bonus, in a 1-on-1 interview with our own Christina Radish, Hardy commented on his franchise film deal and the status of the two previously announced Mad Max films.

"I’m anxiously waiting to find out. There’s mythology to do with Mad Max that spans copious amounts of tales. What’s wonderful about George [Miller] is that he’s created sagas for Max and sagas for Furiosa, so it’s what he chooses to focus in on. I’m really just waiting for the call like, “All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.” It’s there. I’m just waiting for it and looking forward to it."

Hardy confirmed that he’s signed on for a total of three films and that the working title of Mad Max: The Wasteland might not be the final title, but the movie’s still a go:

"Yeah, as far as I’ve signed to do three of them. It’s a question of when. I’m not sure it’s called The Wasteland or not ‘cause you never know. These titles change all the time. But, there’s definitely another Mad Max project pending."

"I love working with George [Miller] and the fact that his mythology is so deep. It’s a joy to work with an artist and somebody who has the ability to be a movie maker, as well. It’s the full package, isn’t it?"

Hopefully we only get a Black and Chrome version this time

One of my favorite big-budget movies that has came out recently. They have miles of road to take the mythology in, so I think this is one of those can't fail things, if they take their time to do everything right.

Only mistake they made last time was to release the film in color against George Miller's wishes. Black and Chrome is the only way someone should watch Fury Road and it's sequels when made

One of my favorite big-budget movies that has came out recently. They have miles of road to take the mythology in, so I think this is one of those can't fail things, if they take their time to do everything right.

Only mistake they made last time was to release the film in color against George Miller's wishes. Black and Chrome is the only way someone should watch Fury Road and it's sequels when made

Is that version out on Blu Ray or even DVD?

I grew up watching b/w and somewhat prefer it. I just watched The Force Awakens with the color off and it looked amazing, like one of those old serials.

Hmmm... I might try that with Raiders tomorrow.

I grew up watching b/w and somewhat prefer it. I just watched The Force Awakens with the color off and it looked amazing, like one of those old serials.

Yes it is and may still be in a theater near you to be honest. The film just left the local art house theater after a 3 week stay. Raiders is a film that a lot of film experts picked as a film better to watch in black and white

Hopefully we only get a Black and Chrome version this time

Yes it is and may still be in a theater near you to be honest. The film just left the local art house theater after a 3 week stay. Raiders is a film that a lot of film experts picked as a film better to watch in black and white

Dang! I was going to hold off from getting this because Warner went with a color version first compared to what George Miller wanted. Now you have me looking up Fury Road: Black & Chrome.

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Sounds great!

I'll look into it for maybe Monday.

I imagine the opening jungle shots of Raiders in b/w is stunning with mood, as well as the truck chase with old fashioned stuntwork. :ohnoez:

Maybe actually make a Mad Max film next time.

We got a Mad Max film last time. The story is never about Max, but whose path he crosses that needs help. Miller just got straight to the point fast this time because he understood Max is just a side character in that person's story. Best Mad Max film ever made

Although there were stories about their dislike of each other on-set, I didn't realize how bad it was. And how it ended. Makes you look at scenes like this differently.

:ohnoez:

Tom Hardy Addresses Mad Max: Fury Road On-Set Rift With Charlize Theron

In a April 2015 interview with Esquire, Theron said she and Hardy repaired their relationship by the end of the shoot. She even produced a hand written note that Hardy sent her. "You are an absolute nightmare, BUT you are also f--king awesome," he wrote to her. "I'll kind of miss you. Love, Tommy."

While promoting his new eight-part television series Taboo, Hardy was asked about the on-set feud and if he and Theron have buried the hatchet. "Yeah, I mean, there are these myths that are usually asininely circulated about things that go on on set that aren’t nearly as dramatic as they’re made out to be," the 39-year-old English actor told The Daily Beast. "There was no hatchet to bury, for me. I’ve always thought—and I still do think—that Charlize is one of the best actresses in the world and a mega-talent. I think she’s brilliant and I would love to work with her again. So there’s really no hatchet for me to bury at all in any way, shape or form."

At least he is over it.

George Miller Offers Details On Potential Mad Max: Fury Road Sequel

While speaking with Independent, Miller talked a bit about his potential sequel. While he didn't confirm if - or even when - it would get made,the director did reveal that he has a ton of story fleshed out for the Mad Max universe. He definitely has those two scripts ready to go, and he offered some details regarding the future projects.

"We dug down deep into the subtext, the backstory of all the characters, and indeed the world…and without really thinking about it, we wrote two other screenplays just as part of the bible of the stories,” Miller said. “Somewhere, if the planets align, there will be two other films.”

Miller went on to reveal that everyone's favorite blind guitarist, Doof Warrior, will definitely return if another film is made. 

“I know who his mother was. I know how it was that a man who is mute and blind survived the apocalypse. I know his story very well!” says Miller. “If we get to make another movie, the Doof Warrior will be there!”

The original trilogy holds a special nostalgic spot in my heart and I didn’t really want the same type of movies again. Fury Road delivered a nonstop brutal action flick that just makes my jaw drop Every. Single. Time. I see it. And what’s crazy is that the critics and I see eye to eye on an action flick with no plot. Or at least the simplest line of plot devices. Miller created a masterpiece with no story at all. Bravo. Can’t wait to see the next installment.

83D96A59-9F33-4E49-9062-4CFD18085B82.jpeg

Warner Bros. Chief Executive Wants to Work With George Miller on Furthering 'Mad Max' Franchise

Here's what Warner Bros. Chief Executive Kevin Tsujihara told the LA Times regarding the future of Mad Max:

" We have incredible franchises on the features side such as “The Matrix.” We’d love to work with George Miller on furthering the “Mad Max” franchise."

This news may be fuel to gas up Mad Max fans who have been waiting on this sequel - it could also get a collective eye-roll from a fanbase that has been hearing promises of more Mad Max for years now. This statement from Tsujihara isn't the only indication we've had of Mad Max's continuation: industry pundit Erik Davis recently revealed this rumor, alongside a not-so-subtle picture of Tom Hardy's Mad Max:

"So WORLD WAR Z 2 is officially dead and not happening... BUT... I'm hearing whispers of another sequel that's beginning to rev its engines... Just a note that I do not have any further details apart from what is above, and, like anything - including WWZ2 - there's always a chance it doesn't happen. But I am hopeful..."

With the decade beginning to draw to a close, I think most film lovers can agree that Australian filmmaker George Miller’s 2015 post-apocalyptic action magnum opus Mad Max: Fury Road remains one of the absolute best films of the 2010’s. Its acting, production values and gorgeous cinematography have seared into the minds of many and somehow managed to top Miller’s previous Mad Max films from the 1980’s. So when issues began to arise a couple of years ago between Miller and Warner Bros., it seemed unlikely that fans of the series would get to see Miller continue the property as he’d planned after Fury Road hit theaters. Thankfully that seems to no longer be the case!

When asked about the possibility of more Mad Max films in a new interview with IndieWire, Miller said:

“There are two stories, both involving Mad Max, and also a Furiosa story. We’re still solving, we’ve got to play out the Warners thing, it seems to be pretty clear that it’s going to happen.“

The director then elaborated on the mess that happened several years ago after Mad Max: Fury Road was released and why relations between him and the studio have cleared up.

“It all started because of the chaos at Warner Bros. and not Kevin Tsujihara, it was pre all that. He wasn’t the antagonist, because a lot of people didn’t know what was going on and were not prepared to make a definitive stand; everybody was running around fearful, it seems, through three regimes. It was hard to get anyone’s attention, so we went to litigation. The chaos has stabilized and it’s become extremely positive as the dust seems to have settled after [the AT&T merger].“

What BS more of the studio drama caused this long delay.