• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

"For a long time it’s been rumored that Fox will beat Marvel to the screen with the shape-shifting aliens the Skrulls, and today I received confirmation from a long-time source that they are indeed in X-Men: Dark Phoenix. This may remind comic fans of how Fox quickly replaced Juggernaut in Days of Future Past with Quicksilver to beat Marvel to the screen with that character as well."

So Fox is making fairly significant storyline decisions based upon "let's beat Marvel to it!"?  There's a recipe for success...

This is the first time I'd heard about the Quicksilver in lieu of Juggernaut switch, and while I enjoyed Evan Peters' Quicksilver in DoFP, seems to me the Juggernaut could've been a whole lot of interesting in that movie.  But I guess the lousy version that quotes Youtube clips in The Last Stand will have to suffice as our lasting memory of Cain Marko. :facepalm:

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' Set Photo Reveals New Costumes

dark-phoenix-x-men-costumes-1089800-640x

It looks like the X-Men of Dark Phoenix will be rocking some costumes from a fan favorite era.

The newest entry in the 20th Century Fox X-Men saga is Dark Phoenix, and a new photo from the set reveals that the team will sport some new costumes. These costumes will not be the ones seen at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse though. Instead, they will be based on the 2000's New X-Men run, and they look pretty spiffy so far.

bkP1vmT.jpg

The new photo shows Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Quicksilver, and Nightcrawler all in matching suits, which are based on Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's New X-Men run. Mystique is also in the photo, but she isn't wearing a costume like the rest of them.

Spoiler

UpjtUBc.jpg

On 12/8/2017 at 2:01 PM, Antpark said:

I thought I'd be excited by those early Phoenix photos, but there's just something about Sophie Turner . . . . I can't quite put my finger on it, but  I'm just not feeling it.

She not only does not look like Jean Grey but she doesn't look like an all powerful Phoenix.

I'm in the same boat for now.  The previous films have done nothing to make me really care about Turner's Jean Grey, so I'm not very interested in her turn as Dark Phoenix.  I DID care when Famke Janssen played the role thanks to the previous movies (X-Men and X-Men 2), but that arc was handled in such a rushed, weird fashion that I hesitate to watch another bad attempt at what was a poignant and important storyline to me growing up.  Call it self protection.

We'll see.

Dark Phoenix has been pushed back from its November 2 release date to February 14, 2019. The New Mutants — which already shifted from its planned April 13, 2018 bow to February 22, 2019 — will now open August 2, 2019.

Freddy Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, starring Rami Malek as the iconic singer, takes Phoenix’s November 2 release date. Fox tapped Dexter Fletcher to take over the project after the studio fired longtime X-Men franchise director and producer Bryan Singer in December.

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't mind at all if this dies, but the horror angle of New Mutants looks like it could be good.

Agreed. So far Fox has been able to make R-Rated superhero movies work with two consistent winners.

Makes me very nervous for The New Mutants.

The trailer had me really excited - I was more jazzed to see it than Dark Phoenix, Deadpool or Ant-Man & the Wasp.

But now to push it back a full year??

Not a good sign.

The longer delay appears to be Sophie Turner not being available for reshoots due to Game of Thrones filming.

A new report from Collider provided an explanation for these delays, and while they are somewhat expected and reasonable for the X-Men movie, The New Mutants is in a much different and more interesting situation.

The report also goes on to state Boone has had significant creative differences with Fox over their requests to change the film, though there has been no word on the possibility if he could be replaced as the production roles on. In the wake of the turmoil that has rocked movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story and Justice League, this might not be the best move.

This is much more intriguing than the reasons for the X-Men: Dark Phoenix delay, as Sophie Turner's schedule is going to be dominated by filming the final season of Game of Thrones for most of the year. Given that she's playing the pivotal character of Jean Grey, Fox needs to work around her availability.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, mattn792 said:

"For a long time it’s been rumored that Fox will beat Marvel to the screen with the shape-shifting aliens the Skrulls, and today I received confirmation from a long-time source that they are indeed in X-Men: Dark Phoenix. This may remind comic fans of how Fox quickly replaced Juggernaut in Days of Future Past with Quicksilver to beat Marvel to the screen with that character as well."

So Fox is making fairly significant storyline decisions based upon "let's beat Marvel to it!"?  There's a recipe for success...

This is the first time I'd heard about the Quicksilver in lieu of Juggernaut switch, and while I enjoyed Evan Peters' Quicksilver in DoFP, seems to me the Juggernaut could've been a whole lot of interesting in that movie.  But I guess the lousy version that quotes Youtube clips in The Last Stand will have to suffice as our lasting memory of Cain Marko. :facepalm:

I so want a solid Juggernaut. This could be the fanboy in me coming out, but a movie that includes his origin, good CGI, and significant screen time...would make me happy. Are the rumors of him being in Deadpool 2 dead? I hope so...

$10M in reshoots does not sound that extensive.

Borys Kit over at The Hollywood Reporter had a... uh, report yesterday morning offering the details concerning the decision to delay X-Men: Dark Pheonix. The 20th Century Fox biggie was intended to open on Nov. 2, 2018 before being shifted to Feb. 14, 2019. Yes, the Simon Kinberg-directed X-Men movie is going to open over Valentine's Day/Presidents Day weekend, which makes sense if you look at the long list of comic book adaptations (Fox's Daredevil, Sony's Ghost Rider, Fox's Kingsman: The Secret Service, Fox's Deadpool and Walt Disney's Black Panther) that have launched with relative success on that holiday weekend.

The film is getting around $10 million-worth of reshoots and the date change is about getting the film's ensemble cast (including Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender and Jessica Chastain) together at a mutually-convenient time as well as having time to do whatever post-production work is required for the new footage. The film allegedly came in under budget and was testing relatively well. But rather than leave the film as it is or do the reshoots and then rush like hell to make the November release date, Fox and friends picked up their stakes and found a later, but arguably no-less lucrative release date.

This development, at the risk of being overly optimistic, may be one of the benefits of year-round tentpole scheduling. If a blockbuster can open anywhere be it in mid-February, early October or mid-September, then hitting a preordained release date is no longer of paramount importance.  As long as Fox doesn't plan on spending so much on the new material that the movie gets maybe 20% better but ends up gazillions of dollars more (think Justice League or King Arthur), this is a pretty positive development.

RUMOR: Jessica Chastain's Villainous Role In X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX May Have Been Revealed

X-Men-Dark-Phoenix-Jessica-Chastain-Alie

Jeff Sneider, of The Tracking Board, dropped two pretty major bombshells on today's episode of Meet the Movie Press, the first of which regards Jessica Chastain's mysterious role in the upcoming X-Men: Dark Phoenix. (You'll hear a lot more about the second rumor later today)

According to his sources, which have a pretty solid track record, the 2x Academy Award-nominated actress isn't playing either Veranke the Skrull Queen or Shi'ar Empress Lilandra, but may, in fact, be playing classic X-Men villain Mister Sinister - or, well, more likely, Miss Sinister if you're familiar with the comics. 

While Sneider was unable to provide further details, Chastain has previously described her character to Entertainment Weekly as "an otherworldly shapeshifter who influences Jean Grey/Phoenix for her own agenda," which is something that falls very much in line with Claudine Renko, a.k.a. Miss Sinister, a perfect genetic clone of Nathaniel Essex, whose powerset includes cellular shapeshifting, amongst other things. This would also help explain Chastain's radically different look and motivations against Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. 

You can watch the latest episode of MTMP below, with the comments about Chastain coming in around the 8:15 mark.