• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, drotto said:

Seen many critics and media types predict we will never see this movie.

This whole thing about the movies not getting the Dark Pheonix saga right always makes me think about the Forward that Stan Lee wrote for the trade for the original story.  A story I hold very close to my heart because it was the first comic story I ever read. I do not have it in front of me, but he basically says that the story is a masterpiece not just in comics, but for story telling in general,  and he would ( at the time it was written) put it up against anything currently coming out of Hollywood.  When I saw that forward, I thought is was overblown hyperbole.  Once I read it, I was a comic lover for life.

So how could such a relatively simple, but extremely well conceived and written story be that hard to translate to the screen. It does not need to be greatly altered or messed with, just adapted.  Yet nobody seems to want to do that. 

Once Marvel gets it they will do it right. It might be awhile though because this would be about the third time the story would be adapted.

I Like to see a Marvel X-Men movie deal with a young Wolverine,Guardian(Weapon Alpha) and Alpha Flight adventure.

x-men%2B%23109%2Brevisited%2Bby%2BByrneB.jpg

14 hours ago, drotto said:

So how could such a relatively simple, but extremely well conceived and written story be that hard to translate to the screen.

Because it's not at all simple in that most of its power came from the long span of time it developed over.  She became established as a character, transformed into Phoenix, warped into Dark Phoenix, and ultimately died over the course of almost twenty years in the comic with four full years of that being just the Phoenix saga.  Claremont developed just the Phoenix elements slowly over the course of years, but overall that's an extremely lengthy amount of building up of the relationship between Scott and Jean and between Jean and the fans, something you just didn't get even after two full Bryan Singer films.  The most vivid impression you got in those films was Logan's attachment to her, and that was a total side note in the comics.  But it's understandable that they were able to establish that so well since it was so much of a comparatively minor plot element in the comic.

Edited by fantastic_four

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Because it's not at all simple in that most of its power came from the long span of time it developed over.  She became established as a character, transformed into Phoenix, warped into Dark Phoenix, and ultimately died over the course of almost twenty years in the comic with four full years of that being just the Phoenix saga.  Claremont developed just the Phoenix elements slowly over the course of years, but overall that's an extremely lengthy amount of building up of the relationship between Scott and Jean and between Jean and the fans, something you just didn't get even after two full Bryan Singer films.  The most vivid impression you got in those films was Logan's attachment to her, and that was a total side note in the comics.  But it's understandable that they were able to establish that so well since it was so much of a comparatively minor plot element in the comic.

This. The Dark Phoenix story might work better in a tv show than in a movie. In Supernatural Sam character had kinda same type of arc(4 first seasons. Should I start watch it again maybe I stopped after 7 seasons or 6? :/). With these new X-men films Jean Grey debuted in X-men Apocalypse and now we should care about that character? and actor as good as Sophie Turner and FOX making the film? Yeah Right :D

Also when they pushed this movie to June from February saying that the special effects need more work and there was a opening slot  I have even less faith for this one.

1 hour ago, godzilla43 said:

This. The Dark Phoenix story might work better in a tv show than in a movie. In Supernatural Sam character had kinda same type of arc(4 first seasons. Should I start watch it again maybe I stopped after 7 seasons or 6? :/). With these new X-men films Jean Grey debuted in X-men Apocalypse and now we should care about that character? and actor as good as Sophie Turner and FOX making the film? Yeah Right :D

Also when they pushed this movie to June from February saying that the special effects need more work and there was a opening slot  I have even less faith for this one.

Do. Not. Watch. Supernatural. After. Season. 7. Ever.

1 hour ago, godzilla43 said:

With these new X-men films Jean Grey debuted in X-men Apocalypse and now we should care about that character? and actor as good as Sophie Turner and FOX making the film? Yeah Right :D

Famke Janssen is a super-cool athletic Dutch chick, tall and dark and that's EXACTLY my type, the kind of woman I'd have loved to see two decades ago burying her sword into the skull of a Brit on the plains of Lindisfarne while wearing a Viking shieldmaiden outfit.  :luhv:  I love her to death and was thrilled that she was playing Jean after falling in love with her during her sexy-nasty performance as Xenia Onatopp in the Bond film "Goldeneye," but she's a "cool" actress who displays very subtle emotions through her acting style.  The only way to develop a strong attachment to Jean quickly in a film or two is to put a "hot" actress in as Jean.  Jennifer Lawrence is one example of an actress with a broader emotional range that might work, but even developing an attachment to Lawrence that quickly is too rushed.  Dark Phoenix should ideally emerge after 5+ films.

Sophie Turner is even colder than Famke.  I don't really get why people like her other than beauty; she displays by far the least emotional range of ANYONE on Game of Thrones and the same was true in Apocalypse.  Rushing her into Dark Phoenix after one film is just not a good idea.  :eek:  But hey, I already know this story and care about it, so I'm already invested in it enough to be interested in this film.  But it's about as far from ideal as I can imagine.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Sophie Turner is even colder than Famke.  I don't really get why people like her other than beauty; she displays by far the least emotional range of ANYONE on Game of Thrones and the same was true in Apocalypse.  Rushing her into Dark Phoenix after one film is just not a good idea.  :eek:  But hey, I already know this story and care about it, so I'm already invested in it enough to be interested in this film.  But it's about as far from ideal as I can imagine.

Her acting in GOT Season 1 is so awful. You're right in that she's a garbage actress for emotions.

She always has like, a blank look, on her face. Never happy, sad, angry, content, etc. She must be the most difficult girlfriend in the world to read lmfao.

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Her acting in GOT Season 1 is so awful. You're right in that she's a garbage actress for emotions.

She always has like, a blank look, on her face. Never happy, sad, angry, content, etc. She must be the most difficult girlfriend in the world to read lmfao.

I've always cut her slack for the early seasons because she was 14 when season 1 was filmed, but her progression has been minimal at best.  She'd be great for Masterpiece Theater productions of Jane Austen novels, but an action heroine?  :eek:

Dark Phoenix is my favorite female character.  Obviously this movie will be a disgrace.  I wish Marvel could put a stop to another Fox's embarrassing attempt to making a good X-Men movie.  Sony and Fox are B cover boys when it comes to comic book movies.  I am usually not a big fan of monopolies, but when it comes to Marvel movies I am glad going forward the evil empire has all of them back excpet for Spider-man (hopefully that will change soon as well, Venom uhhh another Sony POS).

12 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Dark Phoenix is my favorite female character.  Obviously this movie will be a disgrace.  I wish Marvel could put a stop to another Fox's embarrassing attempt to making a good X-Men movie.  Sony and Fox are B cover boys when it comes to comic book movies.  I am usually not a big fan of monopolies, but when it comes to Marvel movies I am glad going forward the evil empire has all of them back excpet for Spider-man (hopefully that will change soon as well, Venom uhhh another Sony POS).

It's possible that this movie may never see the light of day. We can only hope...

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's possible that this movie may never see the light of day. We can only hope...

Sophie Turner is too young to play Jean Grey as it pertains to her becoming Dark Phoenix.  Cant buy some under 30 girl as that character.

As a die-hard X-Men fan (when I was younger) I would completely agree with all the comments above. To add, I also felt Storm was terribly miscast.  Berry is a great actress (Monsters Ball) but she lacked the height, nobility and fierceness that the comic book character often displayed. Now that Storms back under the Marvel umbrella perhaps they'll get it right. 

1 hour ago, Comic-Fan said:

As a die-hard X-Men fan (when I was younger) I would completely agree with all the comments above. To add, I also felt Storm was terribly miscast.  Berry is a great actress (Monsters Ball) but she lacked the height, nobility and fierceness that the comic book character often displayed. Now that Storms back under the Marvel umbrella perhaps they'll get it right. 

Yes.

Except - I don't think she's a good actress, even in Monster's Ball. My favorite Halle Berry flim? The Last Boy Scout. Why? Bruce Willis, Damon Wayans and written by Shane Black. You know - the one where

Spoiler

Berry's character is the female lead and she's suddenly killed mid-way through.

You know who would have been a _great_ Storm?

Angela M--- F---'n Bassett.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

Except - I don't think she's a good actress, even in Monster's Ball. My favorite Halle Berry flim? The Last Boy Scout. Why? Bruce Willis, Damon Wayans and written by Shane Black. You know - the one where

Reveal hidden contents

Berry's character is the female lead and she's suddenly killed mid-way through.

You know who would have been a _great_ Storm?

Angela M--- F---'n Bassett.

she's actually a foppish British actress?

i might be mistaken but i think i saw the DVD for Dark Phoenix in the 99 ct remainder bin at Best Buy on Black Friday :wishluck:

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' Director Teases Something New "Real Soon"

darkphoenix01.thumb.JPG.bd142ba4b105035449521f00d9656cdf.JPG

Kinberg was responding to fans addressing the new trailer for The Twilight Zone reboot on CBS All Access, which he's producing. When asked if anything new for X-Men: Dark Phoenix was coming, the director only responded that "you will see something real soon."

It's unclear if the current plan for Fox is to release the trailer on the 28th of February, as was possibly teased in a deleted social media post.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

If the previous trailer is any indication, Kinberg can save the "surprise".  I've already seen The Last Stand.

Do you rinse and repeat the negative posts, or just assume they are fresh and exciting?

(: