• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now THIS I have to agree with. She is not what you would consider a leading actress, but more a supporting cast member.

But with solid leading actors like Michael Fassbender and Jame McAvoy, along with Jessica Chastain as a new character, the focus can be on Jean Grey as a plot point than her having to carry the film on her own. Big difference.

I agree - try as she may I believe the rest of the cast will overshadow her lack of acting ability - 

For those convincing yourself this is just Last Stand again:

- Jessica Chastain is her alien controller

- Magneto seems to be convinced she must be terminated (he was her controller and wanting to grow her powers in Last Stand)

- Charles is afraid of Dark Phoenix versus charging forward to save her

- Quicksilver could be the dead character from this trailer - not Mystique

It is seeming at this point the two movies reference the same source material, with a different take on the story.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

For those convincing yourself this is just Last Stand again:

- Jessica Chastain is her alien controller

- Magneto seems to be convinced she must be terminated (he was her controller and wanting to grow her powers in Last Stand)

- Charles is afraid of Dark Phoenix versus charging forward to save her

- Quicksilver could be the dead character from this trailer - not Mystique

It is seeming at this point the two movies reference the same source material, with a different take on the story.

Re-arranging the deck chairs doesn’t make it any less Titanic.

Little girl discovers power, little girl goes to mentor who might be able to help, little girl grows up, adult lady flips out.  Xavier vs Magneto, mutant power suppression, someone dies, stuff explodes...blah blah blah.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Re-arranging the deck chairs doesn’t make it any less Titanic.

Little girl discovers power, little girl goes to mentor who might be able to help, little girl grows up, adult lady flips out.  Xavier vs Magneto, mutant power suppression, someone dies, stuff explodes...blah blah blah.

We shall see. :popcorn:

Generally enjoyed the trailer but wasn't blown away by it.  I'm optimistic but skeptical.  Sophie looks as wooden as ever in all the shown scenes, so no matter how good it is a remake will eventually be in order just to get a better actress in the role.

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Generally enjoyed the trailer but wasn't blown away by it.  I'm optimistic but skeptical.  Sophie looks as wooden as ever in all the shown scenes, so no matter how good it is a remake will eventually be in order just to get a better actress in the role.

Someone came out recently and shared Sophie Turner was selected over other actresses because she has such a huge social media following from Game of Thrones. Someone must have assumed that would translate to X-Men followers.

If true, that's ignoring acting impact to the stories.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Someone came out recently and shared Sophie Turner was selected over other actresses because she has such a huge social media following from Game of Thrones. Someone must have assumed that would translate to X-Men followers.

She’s the X-Men franchise’s Topher Grace.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

She’s the X-Men franchise’s Topher Grace.

Your 'I hate this film' is showing. :nyah:

I wouldn't go that far. She has her moments in Game of Thrones that makes Sansa stand out at times. Though it is more rare than other characters.

I haven’t been disappointed with any of the last few new X-Men movies but I also didn’t read X-Men growing up. The trailer was fine, didn’t blow me away. I liked the first trailer (especially the awesome music) better.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That would explain a lot and kind of what I figured when she got the role to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Antpark said:

That would explain a lot and kind of what I figured when she got the role to begin with.

To watch this trailer and blame it all on the lead actress (which I’m not saying you’re doing necessarily, but I think some might be) is, I think, missing the point.   I mean... they literally gave us a TRAIN WRECK right in the trailer. You can’t make this up.  

Edited by fmaz

1 hour ago, fmaz said:

To watch this trailer and blame it all on the lead actress (which I’m not saying you’re doing necessarily, but I think some might be) is, I think, missing the point.   I mean... they literally gave us a TRAIN WRECK right in the trailer. You can’t make this up.  

I definitely will confirm I am going to see this movie.

- Trailer #2 demonstrated enough of the characters I want will be heavily involved

- Jessica Chastain's character has my attention

- Team scrambling to figure out how to address their friend seems like the intensity and action this film needs

Comments about this being about teenage angst misses the point they've moved on from that part of the story.

Now THIS is very telling.

Collider, which lately has been fairly negative towards non-MCU films, gives this trailer a viewing. They start off very negative, and then at the end are surprised they liked it.

49 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I definitely will confirm I am going to see this movie.

- Trailer #2 demonstrated enough of the characters I want will be heavily involved

- Jessica Chastain's character has my attention

- Team scrambling to figure out how to address their friend seems like the intensity and action this film needs

Comments about this being about teenage angst misses the point they've moved on from that part of the story.

I'm certainly rooting for it.  I thought the first two movies of this universe were excellent.  But now I'm really ready for them to get a clean slate in the MCU.  And my biggest fear with this movie is if they don't do it justice, the Dark Phoenix saga will have the stink of "unfilmable" on it, so even when they join the MCU we'll never revisit this properly. 

My biggest fear with the X-franchise going to Disney is that we will be stuck with the same formulaic approach they have with all of their other films. :sick:

The last few Fox X-Men/DP/Logan films have been darker/more adult oriented and worked. I prefer having more choice in tone/theme when it comes to comic films. Diversity is not a bad thing........