• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Collider, which lately has been fairly negative towards non-MCU films, gives this trailer a viewing. They start off very negative, and then at the end are surprised they liked it.

That's definitely the arc of the trailer...the first half to three-quarters is average, but that last scene where all of the X-Men are in shackles and Jean lifts the train into the air is just freaking awesome.  (worship)

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

That's definitely the arc of the trailer...the first half to three-quarters is average, but that last scene where all of the X-Men are in shackles and Jean lifts the train into the air is just freaking awesome.  (worship)

Kinberg hinted the real threat is hinted at in that scene with the guards sporting large MCU badges on their shoulders. lol

I wonder if he meant it that way?

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

All this did was remind me of the train in the Solo movie. Except with no mountain.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to be excited about this movie.

Unfortunately, Sophie Turner has the emotional range of a cardboard cutout and, as the main focus of the story, doesn't make me care about her journey, regardless of how much CGI they throw at it.

After Apocalypse, I find my self . . . . indifferent . . . to this movie, and that is a little frustrating. :frown:

So it looks like Fox took down the Dark Phoenix International Trailer #2 because it revealed a little more about the story. Yet it was a much better edited trailer where the events were in order.

I think this is going to be a much stronger film than Apocalypse (last team movie). We'll see if the market responds to that.

21 hours ago, kagenish said:

I think one of the problems is that they never have done a great or good job of earning the dark phoenix story they haven't build up to it. 

What's funny is when you watch some of the trailer reaction videos and people reference the 'original source material'. So they then note how this film will fail because there is no Wolverine/Logan to kill Jean Grey in the end to protect the galaxy.

I guess their 'original source material' is Last Stand instead of Uncanny X-Men #137. And in this case based on their opinions, yes I hope Dark Phoenix does not honor the original source material in a film. :insane:

The review site Emergency Awesome grabbed the Dark Phoenix International Trailer #2 without realizing this is the one Fox pulled down for revealing more story details. But this seems much better edited.

I just don't think this one will pull it off any better then others.

Dark Phoenix to be made correctly I think needs to 2 movies or even 3. 
Tell the whole lead up story. The lead up to it is what makes Dark Phoenix
the masterpiece it is.

Get people to love the characters then watch Jean turn on them.

Give them idea what it was like to be a reader when it happened. Watch her blow up a 
planet and give them the moral dilemma what to do with her. Quit having Charles mess
with her head anymore and just let her be Dark Phoenix. 

Its the essential part many movies glance over. Let the characters develop on the screen
then drop the bomb on them. 

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I just don't think this one will pull it off any better then others.

Dark Phoenix to be made correctly I think needs to 2 movies or even 3. 
Tell the whole lead up story. The lead up to it is what makes Dark Phoenix
the masterpiece it is.

Get people to love the characters then watch Jean turn on them.

Give them idea what it was like to be a reader when it happened. Watch her blow up a 
planet and give them the moral dilemma what to do with her. Quit having Charles mess
with her head anymore and just let her be Dark Phoenix. 

Its the essential part many movies glance over. Let the characters develop on the screen
then drop the bomb on them. 

I actually have to agree. The entire buildup to Dark Phoenix needs to be a twist in character direction. And the massive space influence. Including her self-sacrifice during the Shi'ar Imperial Guard fight.

But I still think from what I have seen of this new trailer this could be entertaining, and possibly better than Apocalypse.

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What's funny is when you watch some of the trailer reaction videos and people reference the 'original source material'. So they then note how this film will fail because there is no Wolverine/Logan to kill Jean Grey in the end to protect the galaxy.

I guess their 'original source material' is Last Stand instead of Uncanny X-Men #137. And in this case based on their opinions, yes I hope Dark Phoenix does not honor the original source material in a film. :insane:

This is interesting.

For good or ill, they've got a point.

The reality is millions more people saw X-Men: The Last Stand than have read the Dark Phoenix saga comic books. So arguably the film is the better-known source material.

Similar sobering thought - for millions of non-comics readers, thanks to Samuel L. Jackson's portrayal, Nick Fury is definitely black.

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This is interesting.

For good or ill, they've got a point.

The reality is millions more people saw X-Men: The Last Stand than have read the Dark Phoenix saga comic books. So arguably the film is the better-known source material.

Similar sobering thought - for millions of non-comics readers, thanks to Samuel L. Jackson's portrayal, Nick Fury is definitely black.

Hugh Jackman has probably been set in their minds as the X-Men central figure after years of movies.

But it is wild to hear them talking about Dark Phoenix not honoring the source material, hidden behind that meaning Last Stand the movie.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Hugh Jackman has probably been set in their minds as the X-Men central figure after years of movies.

But it is wild to hear them talking about Dark Phoenix not honoring the source material, hidden behind that meaning Last Stand the movie.

It's tragic in a way, considering how great the actual source material is.  Heck, failing that, people should at least be referencing the animated series instead of The Last Stand!