• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I have to say it, and I'm sorry, but it has been bothering me that no one else will say it.

She looks like Boy George.

There. It's done. :sorry:

P.S. It really doesn't help that her colors are red and gold when we all know his are red, gold, and green. :shy:

Now that you've said it...I can't unsee it...

I did say I was sorry. :boo:

darkphoenix_boygeorge.png.904a92bc4a47499165ef067f78557894.png

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:
2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I met a Thor once. He wasn't very good.

thor.jpg.73fb18cd91caa5536175c4bf3663b12f.jpg

Are you saying you met a poor Thor?

Zut alors that Thor I met was a poor Thor

Dark Phoenix
Opening Weekend Range: $40 – 55 million

PROS:

• The returning cast of James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Sophie Turner, and others from the First Class/Days of Future Past/Apocalypse trilogy will offer continuity and likely bring back fans of those chapters.
  • To date, every film in the X-Men film franchise (11, including the Deadpool films) has opened north of $50 million domestically, demonstrating its reliability over the past two decades.
  • Director Simon Kinberg and early trailers offer promise that the film will appeal to fans disappointed by the last on-screen portrayal of the Dark Phoenix story — considered one of the most popular in X-Men and Marvel comic lore — in 2006’s The Last Stand.

CONS:

• Early social media traction has fallen shy of Apocalypse‘s at the same point before release, generating significantly less Twitter discussion thus far.
  • The revelation of a major character’s apparent demise in the most recent trailer has muddied buzz recently.
  • In addition to likely paying for the lukewarm reception of Apocalypse two years ago (which managed just a 2.36x multiple from opening weekend), this entry now faces the challenge of overcoming franchise fatigue as fans are already looking ahead to how Disney will reboot the characters and property in the wake of the Fox acquisition. This could significantly diminish Dark Phoenix‘s attempts to course correct the franchise, regardless of the quality of the movie itself.

darkphoenix01.thumb.PNG.a4a06d3802211c8d580a4faa838b7e23.PNG

Take an exclusive look at its movie debut here, as seen in the new issue of Empire.

In Dark Phoenix, the island is Magneto’s mutant paradise – a lush, green haven that he’s built upon using metal junk he’s summoned from the sea. In Jean Grey's hour of need, this is where she finds Erik Lehnsherr looking for some much-needed advice.

Speaking to Empire in the upcoming June issue, on sale April 18, director Simon Kinberg revealed that he’s long wanted to introduce Genosha to the X-Men movies. “Genosha is something that I’ve always been fascinated by,” he said. “It’s sort of Oz for mutants. As a Jew, its parallels to Israel and the notion of the promised land intrigued me even as a kid. I was looking in previous X-Men movies for a way to incorporate it. It was something I thought about for Apocalypse, but then went in a very different direction.”

Read plenty more about Genosha and X-Men: Dark Phoenix in the new issue of Empire arriving on newsstands from Thursday 18 April. X-Men: Dark Phoenix comes to UK cinemas on 5 June 2019.

Say what you will about this movie and the franchise (I loved First Class and DOFP and thought Apocalypse was terrible) - but I love the choice of Fassbender as Magneto, and hope he stays on under the Marvel umbrella.  I would love a solo Magneto film and more scenes like the Argentina scene in First Class.

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

New trailer looks good - but if she gets the Phoenix force in this movie - how did she use it to destroy Apocalypse in the prior film (or am I now to believe that was something different)?

You take your continuity beefs elsewhere, everyone knows the only way to make a proper franchise is with 19 distinct timelines.