• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

My main disappointment is that while they're following Claremont's original excellent story more closely than Last Stand did, I see no Lilandra or Imperial Guard member names in the credits so I assume they're leaving out the galactic scale from the comic where she consumed a star, killed all of the inhabitants of planets in that star's system, and Lilandra came to hunt her down, prompting a face-off between the X-Men and the Shi'ar's Imperial Guard.  That battle in X-Men 137 culminating with Jean killing herself was really great.  I'm hopeful yet skeptical that rewriting that story will be an improvement, but I'm assuming they did it to simplify the cast and special effects budget.  Hopefully that's a wrong assumption and the new story will be good.

Edited by fantastic_four

23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

My main disappointment is that while they're following Claremont's original excellent story more closely than Last Stand did, I see no Lilandra or Imperial Guard member names in the credits so I assume they're leaving out the galactic scale from the comic where she consumed a star, killed all of the inhabitants of planets in that star's system, and Lilandra came to hunt her down, prompting a face-off between the X-Men and the Shi'ar's Imperial Guard.  That battle in X-Men 137 culminating with Jean killing herself was really great.  I'm hopeful yet skeptical that rewriting that story will be an improvement, but I'm assuming they did it to simplify the cast and special effects budget.  Hopefully that's a wrong assumption and the new story will be good.

I really would have loved that massive battle, and in the end the emotional experience when Jean self-sacrifices to protect the galaxy. But I wonder if behind-the-scenes Fox and Disney were already talking, and they cut the budget way back.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I really would have loved that massive battle, and in the end the emotional experience when Jean self-sacrifices to protect the galaxy. But I wonder if behind-the-scenes Fox and Disney were already talking, and they cut the budget way back.

It's probably too hard to do in a single film anyway.  Introducing the entire Imperial Guard in one film would be quite a lot of characters in one film with no buildup, so there would be no great way to do them justice.  That's why ideally you do Dark Phoenix over the course of MANY movies, more akin to the way Marvel just did it with Thanos.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I get it. Fox has dropped the ball a few times with this franchise. So to trust them to wrap it up strong before Disney kicks in is a shoot.

But I am crossing my fingers they finally committed to going out at least good, if not great. It would be a cool win if it surprised us it was much stronger than assumed.

As a life-long X-Men fan and someone with reservations about this movie, I too, would be pleasantly surprised if this turns out to be a good movie and would then go see it.

At this point, I don't have enough faith that it will be and so will rely on feedback from others before deciding on whether or not to pony up the cash to see it in the theater.

53 minutes ago, Antpark said:

As a life-long X-Men fan and someone with reservations about this movie, I too, would be pleasantly surprised if this turns out to be a good movie and would then go see it.

At this point, I don't have enough faith that it will be and so will rely on feedback from others before deciding on whether or not to pony up the cash to see it in the theater.

emotion01.gif.970f97af68bd10e9bc7090005f010898.gif

:insane:

I get it.

I really enjoyed First Class and Days of Future Past.  Apocalypse was a BIG letdown.  Seems like it was a repeat of the original trilogy.  I enjoyed the first 2 while the 3rd went off the rails.

They can't seem to get the Phoenix right so far.  Bryan Singer teased it well enough in X2, but Brett Ratner took the ball and ran the story in the wrong direction in X-Men 3.  I don't like the idea of the Phoenix being just a secondary mutation for Jean Grey. 

Then it seemed like they were doing the same thing in Apocalypse...part of Jean's mutation instead of a cosmic entity.  It fell as flat in 2016 as it did in 2006 for me. 

I'll go see it, but expectations are low. 

1 hour ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

So who is the blonde woman?

Nobody's sure because she has no character name in the credits released thus far, but the guess I've seen that makes the most sense based upon what's in the trailer is that she's the personification of the Phoenix force that gives Jean her incredible powers and drives her over the edge.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Nobody's sure because she has no character name in the credits released thus far, but the guess I've seen that makes the most sense based upon what's in the trailer is that she's the personification of the Phoenix force that gives Jean her incredible powers and drives her over the edge.

Yup. Been stated a few times now that this seems to be the most likely purpose of this character.