• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Did I miss something? Why is today "X-Men Day"?

That's because you were pooping on Jennifer Lawrence's non-blue features. #Blueist

Fox Announces X-Men Day With Gorgeous Dark Phoenix Poster

Prepare to celebrate all things X-Men on May 13, which 20th Century Fox has dubbed X-Men Day. The studio announced X-Men Day with a poster for the upcoming film Dark Phoenix.

According to a statement from Fox, X-Men Day will be "a celebration of the culmination of the X-Men saga, its global fanbase, all the beloved characters, its groundbreaking impact on popular culture and enduring audience appeal for nearly 20 years."

X-Men Day will feature the debut of exclusive X-Men content, special events, advance ticket sales for Dark Phoenix and other surprises. More information will be provided at @XMenMovies.

:baiting:

32 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Anyone seen when the review embargo lifts?  I just looked but couldn't find it.

I can't find anything concerning a movie ban or embargo. Not yet, anyway.

darkphoenix01.thumb.PNG.97353d6de161780e0de9c6cb3a7904d3.PNG

Jean’s internal struggle meant the most challenging role so far for the 23-year-old Game of Thrones star. Turner studied schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder to try to ground her performance. “I found this amazing video on YouTube, and it was what it feels like to have auditory hallucinations,” says the actress. “I put it in my ears and I walked around [New York City], and I tried to function doing mundane tasks like shopping and talking to people on the street, and it was f—ing difficult!”

Adds Parker: “The movie is about Jean evolving from this character into something else, and that’s what Sophie did. She went from being honestly a kid on [2016’s] X-Men: Apocalypse to being unbelievably committed to the work and showing up with a level of preparation that definitely said, ‘Oh sh—!’” Turner’s costars were equally impressed. “If Sophie had to do 10 hours of work, she’d do 20 hours of prep,” says McAvoy. “She definitely put herself in the hands of Simon and relied on him, as well as helped him to create this dynamic.”

Much like Jean, Dark Phoenix has gone through its own dramatic evolution. While the film originally wrapped production in October 2017, the filmmakers decided to revamp the look of Phoenix in post (more “cosmic” and less “flamy,” according to the director) and shoot a new third act (instead of taking place in space, the climax finds all the X-Men kidnapped and on board a military train). Kinberg admits that his ambitious vision for Phoenix — a mix of poignant family drama and superhero spectacular — made for a complicated first stab at directing. “I think the biggest challenge is modulating the film so that we have the big scale and visual-effects action that these movies require, but balancing that in a way that feels calibrated with the drama,” he says. “You have these big space sequences and trains flying through the air and people firing lightning bolts, but you also have a lot of emotional, four-page dramatic dialogue scenes.”

With Disney and Marvel taking the reins of X-Men, it’s unclear what it means for the future of the franchise. But the series’ destination isn’t Kinberg’s current priority (Dark Phoenix doesn’t have a tag at the end, the typical spot to tease a new installment). “I’m thinking about delivering and finishing this movie the best we possibly can,” the director says before heading out to another meeting, “and then taking a vacation.”