• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

There's a slightly longer interview with Kinberg where he discusses how he worked with Chris Claremont to come up with the -script, which is cool to hear.

For now, Kinberg, who has been a producer on most of Fox's Marvel films, admits the future is uncertain for these characters.

"The easy answer is, no, I don't know the answer," Kinberg told ComicBook.com. 

"And I don't know that Marvel or Disney knows the answer yet either. I think everybody is still figuring it out."

Despite Disney coming in and possibly changing things entirely, Kinberg was approaching Dark Phoenix as the finale for the X-Men characters. "Even long before the Disney of it all, three years ago, I started writing the -script [for Dark Phoenix]," Kinberg said. "I approached this movie as the culmination of 20 years of storytelling, of living with the X-Men for all this time, and watching this family come together. And this movie is the movie that challenges that family, and tears them apart in a new way, and so I imagined it as the culmination. And I even pitched it to the studio as this is the culmination of this cycle of X-Men stories, which there will be more X-Men movies in the future, no doubt, but this particular cycle with this cast, it felt like it was time to do kind of what Game of Thrones has done, what Endgame has done, really see them challenged in a new way, and survive and go off into the sunset."

Still, in crafting a film which is aiming to culminate almost 20 years of storytelling on the big screen, Kinberg wanted to make sure he injected some new elements to the film. Some of those elements involved gritty action or some intense language. The change of pace was an intentional move.

"I've worked on these movies for a long time, and we've been successful with the X-Men movies, and really the X-Men movies have become my family in the last 10, 15 years," Kinberg explained. "I've spent more time on X-Men sets than I have at home. The studio has come to trust me in making these films, and when it came time and I said, "Listen, I really want to direct this movie," and I had the real support of the cast to direct the movie, my vision for the film was a more intense, a more raw X-Men film than we'd done before. And so I was very clear with the studio from the beginning. I said, 'Listen, this is going to push the envelope of the PG-13 X-Men movies that we've seen before. It's going to be much more like the Dark Knight movies, or like Logan than it is going to be like the previous X-Men films.' And I felt like it was time for a change after 20 years of making these movies. This particular story, I think, requires an intensity to tell properly."

A music video for one of the film's tie-in songs, "Extraordinary Being" by Emeli Sande, seems to provide the first look at the live-action debut of Alison Blaire/Dazzler. Exactly two minutes into the video, a blonde woman in an all-white jumpsuit is shown, as light energy of some kind dances around her.

x-men-dark-phoenix-dazzler-1172366.jpeg

For those who have been keeping an eagle-eyed look at the film, Dazzler's cameo might not be a massive surprise, as her role in Dark Phoenix has been a bit of an open secret since 2017. At the time, 20th Century Fox confirmed that Dazzler would have a small role in the film, while also debunking fan theories that Taylor Swift would be playing the role. Leaked photos from 2017 seemed to hint that The Orville alum Halston Sage would be playing the role, but that theory was never officially confirmed. Given the fact that Dark Phoenix has undergone reshoots and several release date changes since then, fans were unsure what role Dazzler would ultimately have in the project.

Outside of this apparent Dark Phoenix cameo, Dazzler is set to appear in one of Hulu's upcoming animated Marvel series, the Chelsea-Handler produced Marvel's Tigra and Dazzler.

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

At first, I read this as "everything he could" content-wise, which would just be an awful idea.

At second read, he probably meant "everything he could", effort-wise.

It reads more that he went for everything that made sense for the story, and the franchise.

Dark Phoenix Director Discusses X-Men

"Even long before the Disney of it all, three years ago, I started writing the -script [for Dark Phoenix]," Kinberg said. "I approached this movie as the culmination of 20 years of storytelling, of living with the X-Men for all this time, and watching this family come together. And this movie is the movie that challenges that family, and tears them apart in a new way, and so I imagined it as the culmination. And I even pitched it to the studio as this is the culmination of this cycle of X-Men stories, which there will be more X-Men movies in the future, no doubt, but this particular cycle with this cast, it felt like it was time to do kind of what Game of Thrones has done, what Endgame has done, really see them challenged in a new way, and survive and go off into the sunset."

"I've worked on these movies for a long time, and we've been successful with the X-Men movies, and really the X-Men movies have become my family in the last 10, 15 years," Kinberg explained. "I've spent more time on X-Men sets than I have at home. The studio has come to trust me in making these films, and when it came time and I said, "Listen, I really want to direct this movie," and I had the real support of the cast to direct the movie, my vision for the film was a more intense, a more raw X-Men film than we'd done before. And so I was very clear with the studio from the beginning. I said, 'Listen, this is going to push the envelope of the PG-13 X-Men movies that we've seen before. It's going to be much more like the Dark Knight movies, or like Logan than it is going to be like the previous X-Men films.' And I felt like it was time for a change after 20 years of making these movies. This particular story, I think, requires an intensity to tell properly."

They did not, however, consider going for an R-rating -- at least, not on any intentional level, according to producer Hutch Parker.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

x-men-dark-phoenix-dazzler-1172366.jpeg

For those who have been keeping an eagle-eyed look at the film, Dazzler's cameo might not be a massive surprise, as her role in Dark Phoenix has been a bit of an open secret since 2017. At the time, 20th Century Fox confirmed that Dazzler would have a small role in the film, while also debunking fan theories that Taylor Swift would be playing the role. Leaked photos from 2017 seemed to hint that The Orville alum Halston Sage would be playing the role, but that theory was never officially confirmed. Given the fact that Dark Phoenix has undergone reshoots and several release date changes since then, fans were unsure what role Dazzler would ultimately have in the project.

So is that Halston Sage?

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So is that Halston Sage?

Nobody is sure yet outside of the film creative team. But I didn't realize her name has been brought up for some time now, and there are even photos of her mixed in with the cast.

Halston Sage Will Reportedly Portray DAZZLER In ‘DARK PHOENIX’

Halston Sage Is Dazzler in X-Men: Dark Phoenix

‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’ May Have Cast a ‘Paper Towns’ Actress as Dazzler

To include a photo that got posted and then taken down by a Dark Phoenix stuntman in front of a cast board.

Leaked Photo Shows The Orville’s Halston Sage Likely To Play Dazzler In X-Men: Dark Phoenix

halstonsage.PNG.eae6fa21ba99ba7b5739595d4f2ffcac.PNG

After playing the role of Professor X in several other X-Men movies, James McAvoy was excited to explore a more corrupt version of the iconic Marvel character.

"It's great," McAvoy told ComicBook.com. "I've always thought that Charles' Achilles heel or potentially massive Achilles heel, huge Achilles heal, is his vanity and his ego. And that definitely is what is getting in front of him in this film. And that's expressed in a kind of geopolitical scale, what he's become, instead of this teacher, leader, healer type figure that he's always been in the past. He's a politician."

In fact, the idea of becoming a world leader has so enticed Charles, that he has his eyes on bigger roles "I was about to say, he was running for President," Magneto actor Michael Fassbender added to McAvoy's comments.

"Head of the UN, something like that," McAvoy explained. "He's a politician, and he's more concerned with the message than the application of that message. And it was fun. It was really good to see that actually get investigated."