• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Is it just me, or are they trying extra really hard to push this movie?  It's coming off as desperate.

You mean a 'marketing campaign' to promote the movie?

I know. Crazy.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

You mean a 'marketing campaign' to promote the movie?

I know. Crazy.

No, this seems above and beyond the norm (i.e. desperate).  It's like every few hours they need a "Hey look!  No, over here, over here!! It's Dark Phoenix! See!  LOOK DAMN YOU!!" moment.  

18 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

No, this seems above and beyond the norm (i.e. desperate).  It's like every few hours they need a "Hey look!  No, over here, over here!! It's Dark Phoenix! See!  LOOK DAMN YOU!!" moment.  

Although it does appear they ramped it up recently, I took that as the film getting released soon.

Plus, you may not have noticed this. But there are certain people that purposely hate on this film even before a trailer came out.

emotion01.gif.01f06a01e8f167eb7d824ebebb0288b4.gif

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although it does appear they ramped it up recently, I took that as the film getting released soon.

Plus, you may not have noticed this. But there are certain people that purposely hate on this film even before a trailer came out.

:takeit:

55 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Is it just me, or are they trying extra really hard to push this movie?  It's coming off as desperate.

no need to fear, all smells right

20 Predictions For 2019's Rotten Tomatoes Scores
12. Dark Phoenix (17%)
Dark Phoenix Jean Grey
Fox

Predicted Critical Consensus: "A deeply disappointing finale to Fox's X-Men franchise, Dark Phoenix is a shockingly inept superhero sequel sure to be quickly forgotten."

If test screening reports are to be believed, Dark Phoenix isn't merely an underwhelming movie, but a genuinely awful one that marks a dud of a directorial debut for franchise writer Simon Kinberg.

The first trailer didn't make much of a dent, suggesting this movie to somehow be even blander and more generic than the forgettable X-Men: Apocalypse.

Sophie Turner isn't a calibre actress capable of carrying a tentpole movie, most of the actors look like they're phoning it in and the direction looks totally flat.

Apparently test audiences ended up laughing at a pivotal death scene, so unless Fox manages to salvage this mess in post-production, it's pretty much screwed.

13 minutes ago, paperheart said:

no need to fear, all smells right

20 Predictions For 2019's Rotten Tomatoes Scores
12. Dark Phoenix (17%)
Dark Phoenix Jean Grey
Fox

Predicted Critical Consensus: "A deeply disappointing finale to Fox's X-Men franchise, Dark Phoenix is a shockingly inept superhero sequel sure to be quickly forgotten."

If test screening reports are to be believed, Dark Phoenix isn't merely an underwhelming movie, but a genuinely awful one that marks a dud of a directorial debut for franchise writer Simon Kinberg.

The first trailer didn't make much of a dent, suggesting this movie to somehow be even blander and more generic than the forgettable X-Men: Apocalypse.

Sophie Turner isn't a calibre actress capable of carrying a tentpole movie, most of the actors look like they're phoning it in and the direction looks totally flat.

Apparently test audiences ended up laughing at a pivotal death scene, so unless Fox manages to salvage this mess in post-production, it's pretty much screwed.

I read that post too when it came out in January.

Then it came out from a film blogger who has been far from a fan of Dark Phoenix before any filming occurred. The lead editor of the Disney Insider (DisInsider). I know - no way his opinions on this are biased.

This film will probably crash if for nothing else the excessive hate it received before even being released. But when referencing details, it says a lot about 'truth in details' when references such sources.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Dark Phoenix is tracking to be the lowest (or one of the lowest) X-Men movie franchise opening weekend (North America) - so yes they are desperate.  It might just barely beat out the first X-Men from 2 decades ago without inflation.  As much as I'd hope this movie to be enjoyable, the trailers do look terrible.  Can't wait for Marvel Studios FF and X-Men.

13 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

Dark Phoenix is tracking to be the lowest (or one of the lowest) X-Men movie franchise opening weekend (North America) - so yes they are desperate.  It might just barely beat out the first X-Men from 2 decades ago without inflation.  As much as I'd hope this movie to be enjoyable, the trailers do look terrible.  Can't wait for Marvel Studios FF and X-Men.

How does Trailer #3 look terrible?

:popcorn:

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

It's basically The Last Stand, with a little space thrown in, for starters.

Really? Where's Logan? Where's Juggernaut with his now famous line? :insane:

Hate on it all you like. Meanwhile, there will be those wanting to see it succeed if the film deserves it in the end.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Really? Where's Logan? Where's Juggernaut with his now famous line? :insane:

Hate on it all you like. Meanwhile, there will be those wanting to see it succeed if the film deserves it in the end.

-in no particular order-

Upset little girl.  

Face off in suburbia.

Funeral.

Mutants in restraints.

Jean gets analyzed.

Team member dies.

Jean pushes Magneto’s buttons.

Heavy gunfire scene.

Been there, done that.

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

-in no particular order-

Upset little girl.  

Face off in suburbia.

Funeral.

Mutants in restraints.

Jean gets analyzed.

Team member dies.

Jean pushes Magneto’s buttons.

Heavy gunfire scene.

Been there, done that.

I get it you were in the middle of your 'Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor' again...

:baiting::foryou:

But when did you last watch Last Stand? Jean didn't push Magneto's buttons in that movie. The latter manipulated the former, leading to her distrusting everyone.

A really poorly handled interpretation. But keep the hate-details straight.

:foryou:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I get it you were in the middle of your 'Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor' again...

:baiting::foryou:

But when did you last watch Last Stand? Jean didn't push Magneto's buttons in that movie. The latter manipulated the former, leading to her distrusting everyone.

A really poorly handled interpretation. But keep the hate-details straight.

:foryou:

Yes she did, there was a scene where Famke was pulling some nonsense on him and earned some kind of “JEAN!!” rebuke.

17 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Yes she did, there was a scene where Famke was pulling some nonsense on him and earned some kind of “JEAN!!” rebuke.

You are thinking of this scene.

Listen to what Eric says right before Jean points the needles at him.

'You remember when we first met. You know what I saw when I looked at you? I saw the next stage in evolution...Why would Charles want to turn this goddess into a mortal?'

He was making it clear he wanted to use her to promote his Mutants First campaign. And with that, Jean saw through his plans.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You are thinking of this scene.

Listen to what Eric says right before Jean points the needles at him.

'You remember when we first met. You know what I saw when I looked at you? I saw the next stage in evolution...Why would Charles want to turn this goddess into a mortal?'

He was making it clear he wanted to use her to promote his Mutants First campaign. And with that, Jean saw through his plans.

Still pushed his buttons :bigsmile: