• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Regardless of how this movie turns out it won't be their fault. They are amazing actors and ha e really carried this franchise. Throw hoult (beast) in there as well. Days of future past remains amazing imo and the best xmen movie so far. I hope Phoenix is close to it if not better but after apocalypse it's hard to believe it will.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

No. I know enough not to fall into the trap of rallying around a hate theme 'Oh not, Last Stand again'. Plus, there has been more good films and TV shows (X-Men TAS, X-Men, X2, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan, Deadpool 2, Legion, The Gifted) than mediocre or bad (The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: Apocalypse) from this overall franchise.

Or do you need to gravitate more to the negative because it isn't the MCU? (shrug)

Been a very long time since I last saw LS - but the first half of the latest DF trailer reminded me of exactly what happened in that film.  I mean it's based on the same story line so how can it not be similar?  The trailer only starts to differ from LS when they enter space.

Loved X1, X2, FC, DoFP, DP1, even the first F4. But overall, MCU is much better than the Fox products.  

Loved Nolan Batman - stuff that came before it was okay, but can't even watch the trash that came after it.

For years Hollywood is just trying to sell the same stuff over and over again based on name; not quality.  That won't stop until people stop paying just for the name.

14 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

@Bosco685 just can’t admit publicly that this is a Last Stand do-over, in secret he knows we’re right :devil:

Same source material for sure. Just silly to hate on something so excessively.

50 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

Been a very long time since I last saw LS - but the first half of the latest DF trailer reminded me of exactly what happened in that film.  I mean it's based on the same story line so how can it not be similar?  The trailer only starts to differ from LS when they enter space.

Loved X1, X2, FC, DoFP, DP1, even the first F4. But overall, MCU is much better than the Fox products.  

Loved Nolan Batman - stuff that came before it was okay, but can't even watch the trash that came after it.

For years Hollywood is just trying to sell the same stuff over and over again based on name; not quality.  That won't stop until people stop paying just for the name.

Actually not an accurate statement if you stepped back for a moment.

1) Jean killing her parents in a car wreck by losing control

2) Jean killing a teammate leading to X-Men tackling her

3) Jessica Chastain serving as the Dark Phoenix personified

None of that in LS. But you may have missed that.

Just saw that the review embargo lifts Wednesday June 5th at 1 AM EST.  That is the weirdest review embargo lift date I've ever seen...apparently, they want the reviews to come quietly in the night when you're sleeping and not paying attention.

Oh lord.  :fear:

16 hours ago, jason4 said:

Regardless of how this movie turns out it won't be their fault. They are amazing actors and ha e really carried this franchise. Throw hoult (beast) in there as well. Days of future past remains amazing imo and the best xmen movie so far. I hope Phoenix is close to it if not better but after apocalypse it's hard to believe it will.

100%.

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Just saw that the review embargo lifts Wednesday June 5th at 1 AM EST.  That is the weirdest review embargo lift date I've ever seen...apparently, they want the reviews to come quietly in the night when you're sleeping and not paying attention.

Not good. If they were confident they would likely (but not always) release these early. 

Does anyone think xmen 101 value will drop significantly if this is a bad movie? It's a big key regardless imo...but movie specers might not think so. Hopefully Disney acquisition minimizes this.

56 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Does anyone think xmen 101 value will drop significantly if this is a bad movie?

Absolutely, positively not.  If that happened, virtually every DC comic ever made would all be back to cover price by now.  :baiting:  :D

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

With 11.4K followers, he may know a little bit more about this.

Now, back to "Oh my God, this is going to bomb hard" at a station near you. :insane:

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

With 11.4K followers, he may know a little bit more about this.

I'm unclear on what you're implying since the embargo lift date and time in that tweet is the same one I referenced.  I got mine FROM that tweet--then triple-checked it from two other sources--I just translated it to Eastern Standard Time.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm unclear on what you're implying since the embargo lift date and time in that tweet is the same one I referenced.  I got mine FROM that tweet--then triple-checked it from two other sources--I just translated it to Eastern Standard Time.

And that is what I posted as a trusted source. What are you assuming is being applied?

My other comment are for the folks just begging for this film to fail, and looking for anything to achieve Dark Phoenix manifest destiny. Which is nuts to want something to fail like that.

It sounds like this was a Skrull that then with the MCU using them Fox then did reshoots to change the character.

Now, Chastain has opened up about the role in the upcoming film.

Chastain avoided dropping any spoilers or specifically naming what race of Marvel Comics species from which she hails, though in the movie she is making an effort to help the D'Bari Empire. "Well, I was sent the -script immediately, so it was pretty clear, she was otherworldly," Chastain explained. "Basically I'm there to encourage Jean to be her full self and that includes the darkness. I was like, I was saying something, I was like the little devil whispering in her ear, on her shoulder."

Chastain's villain and those alien creatures surround her show off abilities similar to that of Skrulls, though the term is never used in the film. It is possible the description of the villain's race was removed when the ending of Dark Phoenix was radically changed to avoid having similarities to another super hero film which came before it, with Captain Marvel being the prime suspect in beating the X-Men movie to the Skrull villain punch.

Still, Chastain's character manages to be a mentor to Sophie Turner's Jean Grey along the way.

"Yeah, yeah, but also the angel at times," Turner interjected to Chastain's perspective."

"Yes, and also the angel on the other side going, you're powerful and strong," Chastain adds.

Following the efforts on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Chastain has no opposition to coming back for another super hero movie in the future. She just doesn't want to be locked into an entire decade-long franchise. "I wouldn't mind doing it again," the actress said. "I definitely wouldn't do it for 10 years, so it's an interesting thing, because I think a lot of the contracts now last for a long time. But yeah, it's fun to come in and play and hang out and have a good time and, and then skedaddle, then maybe come back in a few years, do it again."

14 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The fact that a Skrull was going to be the voice that encourages Jean to embrace her Dark Phoenix persona shows me that Fox and Kinberg have no clue what they are doing.  

Yeah, it makes no sense.

Good thing the franchise is coming home.