• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

What? That for all the negative, there are surprising positives mixed in all these reviews?

Grace Randolph swore July-2018 Disney would never let this mess come out. Now she notes it is worth watching, though troubled.

Collider - hardcore MCU supporters - notes this is worth seeing, though troubled.

Yup! You told us. (:

I told you it would suck.

There are people out there that like War Zone, Fant4stic, and The Incredible Hulk...

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I told you it would suck.

There are people out there that like War Zone, Fant4stic, and The Incredible Hulk...

See notes above. :smile::banana:

It is sad though how they drastically changed the ending. Test screening members noted how it was a big space event in the end. Hence, the rush to change it from a Captain Marvel match.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

See notes above. :smile::banana:

It is sad though how they drastically changed the ending. Test screening members noted how it was a big space event in the end. Hence, the rush to change it from a Captain Marvel match.

I guess I'll see it on TV in a few years (since it won't be on Netflix, right?).

X-Men was my 1st love. Screw Fox for messing up Phoenix (twice) and Apocalypse. Never got to see X-Man or Sinister (hopefully the MCU will do them correctly). Magneto was my favorite comic character for a long time as a kid/teen, so at least he was performed well by both actors (though I was never a fan of Magneto being so old in the original trilogy).

I think that Marvel Studios needs to give us a big break from X-Men for awhile. We've been seeing their movies for 19 years now. Wait until 2024-2025 to reboot them plz.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I guess I'll see it on TV in a few years (since it won't be on Netflix, right?).

X-Men was my 1st love. Screw Fox for messing up Phoenix (twice) and Apocalypse. Never got to see X-Man or Sinister (hopefully the MCU will do them correctly). Magneto was my favorite comic character for a long time as a kid/teen, so at least he was performed well by both actors (though I was never a fan of Magneto being so old in the original trilogy).

I think that Marvel Studios needs to give us a big break from X-Men for awhile. We've been seeing their movies for 19 years now. Wait until 2024-2025 to reboot them plz.

It will be interesting to see how Kevin Feige handles these properties going forward. Since they were his introduction to film producing, and he had a grand universe-building plan that Fox execs dismissed, I wonder if he dusts that off. Though now he has a much larger playing field to work with than ever before. Like pretty much the entire Marvel portfolio since Sony wants the MCU involvement so badly.

Found it!

Kevin Feige Once Had A Plan For The X-Men Franchise That Fox Didn't Follow

Before Kevin Feige became president of Marvel Studios and overseer of the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe, X-Men movie franchise producer Lauren Shuler Donner promoted her then-assistant to associate producer on the mutant super team's 2000 big screen debut.

Feige then served as co-producer on X2 and executive producer on X-Men: The Last Standbefore landing his Marvel Studios role in 2007 and blazing a new path with 2008's Iron Man, launching an interconnected universe of films — what is now the highest-grossing franchise of all time.

"I’m not surprised—I’m just so proud," Shuler Donner tells Vanity Fair in a piece celebrating Feige's success with the groundbreaking Marvel Studios, who decided to self-finance and produce their own films after selling the screen rights to their biggest characters to studios like Sony and Fox.

"When we were developing the X-Men movies, he and I had laid out a plan where the X-Men franchise should go," said Shuler Donner, who has produced every X-film, including spin-offs Deadpool, Logan and the upcoming The New Mutants. "Fox picked another route. I’m not surprised he kept that [comic book] aesthetic, and decided he would take the Marvel world and join them together and make five-year plan after five-year plan."

I always assumed it was Lauren Shuler-Donner that ignored his plan. It was higher up, and probably the same person that held Deadpool back as not worth producing.

DEADPOOL Creator Rob Liefeld Calls Out Former Fox Executive Tom Rothman For Keeping The Movie Grounded For So Long

During a recent interview with Variety, Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld revealed the name of the executive at Fox who kept the film grounded all those years. His name is Tom Rotham, and he's currently the Chairman of Sony Pictures. He was previously the chairman and chief executive officer of Fox Filmed Entertainment. This is what Liefeld said when asked who was preventing Deadpool from getting made:

"I’ll jump on the sword. I don’t really work in the movie business, so I’ve always been able to navigate and speak freely. The answer is two words: Tom Rothman. He is now the [chairman] of Sony. I wish him well. He’s a canny operator in the business. But when he gets it in his mind to dismiss something — nothing seemed to push him over the edge. I thought for sure [he would be on board] when he saw how good Deadpool looked and moved [in the test footage], but for whatever reason, we was an opponent to the film.”

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh oh. On top of all the grief that she gets from haters, including a special feature deleted scene that trolls are pointing to as proof that Carol Danvers is the harbinger of the End of Days, are we saying we can also lay the blame for any of Dark Phoenix's failures on Captain Marvel?

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Uh oh. On top of all the grief that she gets from haters, including a special feature deleted scene that trolls are pointing to as proof that Carol Danvers is the harbinger of the End of Days, are we saying we can also lay the blame for any of Dark Phoenix's failures on Captain Marvel?

Sure, why not.  Brie sucks but so does Sophie Turner... should have kept with Famke Janssen

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Sure, why not.  Brie sucks but so does Sophie Turner... should have kept with Famke Janssen

A potato.

Her crying, "Why did you make me do that? She was my friend..." in the one trailer was one of the most-cringe things I have ever witnessed in my life. Quite possibly the literal opposite of the spectrum to McAvoy and Fassbender.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

A potato.

Her crying, "Why did you make me do that? She was my friend..." in the one trailer was one of the most-cringe things I have ever witnessed in my life. Quite possibly the literal opposite of the spectrum to McAvoy and Fassbender.

What, you don’t enjoy her full range of expression that spans from monotone to monotone?

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

What, you don’t enjoy her full range of expression that spans from monotone to monotone?

Someone should've slapped her or something. Like, find it in you to :censored: cry.

It's no wonder the reviews are basically saying the performances were 'phoned in'.

How do people with such :censored: "acting" skills keep getting jobs..? She's portraying the title character, too!

Directing has to be blamed, too. Record as many takes as it takes until she does it right dammit!

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Brie is the Queen, but I digress. Sophie Turner was just fine as a young Jean Grey in Apocalypse, as mediocre as that movie was.

I don't listen to critics mostly, but 17% on RT is not good. If Dark Phoenix is squarely rejected by audiences this weekend, I think we can all lay the blame on Simon Kinberg, they guy who wrote, directed, and produced the movie. 

And has anyone seen Famke Janssen lately? Unfortunately she's the latest actor to fall victim to overzealous plastic surgery. Why do they do it?

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Are you truly that blind you don't take the time to read completely when someone notes 'CAPTAIN MARVEL' in any sentence?

DARK PHOENIX Ending Was Changed Due to Similarities With Another Superhero Movie

Dark Phoenix, the final film of 20th Century Fox's core X-Men film series, underwent significant reshoots that changed its entire ending, including moving the final act from outer space to a train on Earth - and now, the film's stars say the changes were due to similarities with another superhero movie that beat Dark Phoenix to theaters.

“The end [of Dark Phoenix] changed a hell of a lot," Charles Xavier actor James McAvoy told Yahoo! Movies UK. "The finale HAD to change. There was a lot of overlap and parallels with another superhero movie that came out... a while ago. And we had no idea that we were ... basically trawling through the source material it seems."

“They had spies on set,” added Magneto actor Michael Fassbender jokingly. “And [they] basically stole our ideas.”

Fassbender and McAvoy wouldn't specify which film it was that bore similarities to Dark Phoenix. Yahoo! points out two likely options: Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel and Avengers: Infinity War.

Yahoo! suggests Captain Marvel, which took place largely in space, may have conflicted with Dark Phoenix's spacebound finale, drawing on previous comments from director Simon Kinberg that Phoenix's character design was changed to make it "less cosmic" - potentially because of similarities to Carol Danvers' powered-up "Binary" form.

Nobody BLAMED Captain Marvel for anything. It went to market sooner with an ending concept Fox supposedly had filmed, but then realized how much of a duplicate it would appear. So take your Captain Marvel-Captain Defender story and stuff it in your bottom longbox.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Are you serious? You actually though what I posted was attacking Brie Larson or Captain Marvel, and went along with this statement??!!

It was at 16% on RT when I woke up around 2 AM, but now it's up to 21%.  ON THE RISE!  (:

At least it's beating Fantastic Four which finished at 9%.  :boo:

Edited by fantastic_four

Saw X-Men. I was expecting a disaster but I liked it. I can happily say it is not what the critics are making it out to be. It's not a faithful adaptation of the comics by any means but the story was engaging, the acting was good, the action was great and the score was incredible. Also it was very dark. I would put it somewhere in the middle for the series as a whole. Leaps and bounds better than "Apocalypse".