• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

How many people do you think will go see this movie just for a hate watching (and ham handedly contribute to its box office rake)? 

And no, I won't be participating in such an exercise.  Dark Phoenix will get the Dark Tower treatment as well (e.g. when its free on On Demand, it shall be viewed...and mocked).

fool me once (Last Stand), shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

Sounds like a waste of a good Hans Zimmer score.  Here is a blurb from an article about Zimmer losing faith in superhero movies after the bad taste from doing BvS.

Of course, any character discrepancy is as much if not more a symptom of the -script Affleck was working from as it was of the actor’s portrayal. Zimmer is aware of that, and thanks to some advice from a directing pal, that’s why he’s perhaps not entirely shutting the door on comic book movies. “Ron Howard actually said something very smart to me. He said, ‘Don’t say you will never do a superhero movie again, wait for somebody to turn up with an amazing -script for a superhero movie,'” Zimmer recalled. “And I suppose that’s what I’m saying: Can I please have the amazing -script?”

I guess he made an exception for Dark Phoenix...

3 hours ago, drotto said:

The bad press for this film is likely hurting the reviews.  It has so many strikes against it even without seeing the film, that arevdifdicult to overcome.

2. Reported bad screenings.

7. Bland trailers 

Even if the film is actually amazing that is a lot of bad press to overcome.

Sure you can disregard the other points made, but 2 and 7 ARE the movie.  I can't comment on 2.  But fully agree with 7.  If this wasn't an X-Men movie, I wouldn't have given it a second thought based on trailers.  Now this will probably be the first X-Men movie I don't see in the theaters.

well it might be bad but it's a comicbook movie and the guys and I are going tomorrow night and seeing it like we do every comic movie. When I was growing up and reading comics I never thought I would actually get to go see these at the movies so I'll be seeing it tomorrow night :preach:

44 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe when they're over at Disney they can be called Stan Lee's original name for the team, The Mutants, because X-People doesn't have a great ring to it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.12.16 PM.png

They do have X-Force but they're part of the Deadpool universe which is going to continue for the time being. Changing the name wouldn't be the the same but The Mutants is probably the best choice. I hope this isn't going to turn into a gender war over Men being in the title.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe when they're over at Disney they can be called Stan Lee's original name for the team, The Mutants, because X-People doesn't have a great ring to it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.12.16 PM.png

Poor Stan Lee being used to dismiss the 1963 name he created? It's only recognized by millions for representing an entire female and male team since its inception. But let's change it.

I hope 'sexist' isn't used to classify anyone pulling for leaving the classic title alone. Though X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, Exiles, Generation X and X-Calibre have been used at various points.

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Poor Stan Lee being used to dismiss the 1963 name he created? It's only recognized by millions for representing an entire female and male team since its inception. But let's change it.

I hope 'sexist' isn't used to classify anyone pulling for leaving the classic title alone. Though X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, Exiles, Generation X and X-Calibre have been used at various points.

I honestly think the "X-Men" name will be an issue over at Disney as they're sensitive to such things over there. I also don't think it'll be an issue for a while as Feige will probably let the Marvel mutants lay low for a long time and intro Logan and Deadpool first. The current X-men reboot that's happening in the comics is titled House of X and Powers of X. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I honestly think the "X-Men" name will be an issue over at Disney as they're sensitive to such things over there. I also don't think it'll be an issue for a while as Feige will probably let the Marvel mutants lay low for a long time and intro Logan and Deadpool first. The current X-men reboot that's happening in the comics is titled House of X and Powers of X. 

Not sure those would be as worldwide recognized outside of the comic book community. But I trust in Feige he will always work to do right by the characters and stories.

DEADLINE: ‘Dark Phoenix’ To Rise Above ‘Secret Life Of Pets 2’ In $170M+ Global Debut

Illumination/Universal’s The Secret Life of Pets 2 might win over U.S./Canada this weekend with a projected $60M, but Disney/Fox’s Dark Phoenix is expected to take over the world with at least a $170M global day-and-date launch.

In what is the last Fox/Marvel X-Men movie before Disney’s MCU likely reboots the mutant hero franchise, Dark Phoenix will touch down in all major territories, save Japan and Indonesia, with China as the swing country. In the Middle Kingdom, Dark Phoenix will have the added plus of the Dragon Boat holiday, but there’s local competition from Chasing the Dragon II and My Best Summer. Current tracking for Dark Phoenix in China is $50M-$60M, repping around 50% of the pic’s $120M overseas start.

There’s a chance Dark Phoenix could rise to $135M abroad. The overseas opening range is down from the previous 2016 movie X-Men: Apocalypse‘s $148M start (in like-for-like markets at today’s rates). Chinese ticket sales were a big deal for both Apocalypse and X-Men: Days of Future Past, repping 22% and 31% of their respective final foreign hauls of $388.4M and $513.9M. In fact, one of the reasons Dark Phoenix flew to June from its previous February 14 date was to snatch a better spot in China. The trailer, after dropping back in the fall, clocked 44M views in its first 24 hours of release in the People’s Republic.

Here in U.S./Canada, Dark Phoenix eyeing $50M-$55M at 3,700 theaters and pacing far behind 2016’s X-Men: Apocalypse ($65.7M 3-day, $79.8M Memorial Day 4-day opening). 

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Powers of X?  Yeah, let’s read a comic series about calculus.  Should be a huge hit with the AP high school crowd.

I've only just watched X-Men Apocalypse, and I can't help keep noticing the strong facial resemblance between Sophie Turner and Boy George.  It's distracting.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've only just watched X-Men Apocalypse, and I can't help keep noticing the strong facial resemblance between Sophie Turner and Boy George.  It's distracting.

'Thanks CGC message board for that contribution.' :insane:

Saddest part for me in this thread is seeing Famke Janssen's face messed up by plastic surgery/botox, etc.  She was and is a beautiful woman, but it's a bummer for me to see men or women changed that way.  Unnatural.

Anyone remember her on ST:TNG as an emotional metamorph?  She was awesome.

latest?cb=20060703165346&path-prefix=nl