• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Bill C said:

wow. lol. this was beyond bad.

the first two x-men movies in this series were some of my favorite superhero films. 

this one had to have been a joke on some level, to put this movie out.

I wasn’t even an x men fan when I saw x men in 2000 and I walked out saying this was the best superhero movie I’ve ever seen ( and that goes for Superman II which was golden to me as a wee lad ).  The franchise had me then and then my love doubled once I saw First Class.  

Looks like I'm in the minority, but.... Very enjoyable to me, A-. Now that was Phoenix. Miles better than Godzilla, IMO, which put me to sleep with every human appearance.

Very entertaining for an X-MEN/Phoenix fan, IMO.

Full theater and I clapped along with others at the ending.

Mystique finally gone. Excellent early move.

Dazzler!

Power of Phoenix showcased.

Lots of great action and human moments, IMO.

Just really liked seeing this version of Dark Phoenix.

They sort of mixed Hellfilre Club with Shiar, IMO. The final scene where she told Jessica C., you want to see

Power? I"ll show it to you, brought back memories of Mastermind and Hellfire Club ending.

Can't wait to see them bring her into MCU. Had doubts about Sophie, but I think she did pretty well as Dark Phoenix here.

As far fetched as the space scene might have been, at least they made an effort to somewhat mirror the original material.

Edited by bronze_rules

3 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Looks like I'm in the minority, but.... Very enjoyable to me, A-. Now that was Phoenix. Miles better than Godzilla, IMO, which put me to sleep with every human appearance.

Hide contents

Dazzler!

They sort of mixed Hellfilre Club with Shiar, IMO. The final scene where she told Jessica C., you want to see

Power? I"ll show it to you, brought back memories of Mastermind and Hellfire Club ending.

Can't wait to see them bring her into MCU. Had doubts about Sophie, but I think she did pretty well as Dark Phoenix here.

As far fetched as the space scene might have been, at least they made an effort to somewhat mirror the original material.

Now such positive posts are just not acceptable. Get with the program.

:baiting:

I'll be seeing it for myself. This gives me even more hope it will at least be entertaining.

:foryou:

4 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Hide contents

Dazzler!

Agree with all that. I really don't get the hate. I'll miss Fox's darker movies for the family friendly MCU.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, paperheart said:

better than The Wolverine!

Gavin Feng @gavinfeng97 2h2 hours ago

Dark Phoenix just got 6.7/10 on Chinese Douban film site. Comparison: Deadpool 2 - 7.3 Logan - 8.3 Apocalypse - 7.7 Deadpool - 7.7 Days of Future Past - 8.2 The Wolverine - 6.5 First Class - 8.2 Wolverine - 7.4 The Last Stand - 7.6 X2 - 7.7 X-Men - 7.7

One is the critics score. One is the audience score. The audience score ended up higher. :idea:

All these people being paid by Fox/Disney. :insane:

It's sounding like Sophie Turner, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy are the acting strong points, and the soundtrack is very strong.

:D

But this picture also made me realize something. Jennifer Lawrence is actually in full makeup WITH scales. Yet pre-release folks were stating she wouldn't even allow any makeup on her face.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

:D

But this picture also made me realize something. Jennifer Lawrence is actually in full makeup WITH scales. Yet pre-release folks were stating she wouldn't even allow any makeup on her face.

I thought what she objected too was not the face makeup but the full body makeup.  Where Rebecca  Romijn was in full body paint and latex appliances (basically nude). Lawrence insisted they come up with a bodysuit that mimicked that look because she did not like the application time and did not feel comfortable in the original makeup.

I never heard that she complained about the face makeup.  Regardless, it still looks washed out to me in the trailers.

Edited by drotto

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

I thought what she objected too was not the face makeup but the full body makeup.  Where Rebecca  Ramone was in full body paint and latex appliances (basically nude). Lawrence insisted they come up with a bodysuit that mimicked that look because she did not like the application time and did not feel comfortable in the original makeup.

I never heard that she complained about the face makeup.  Regardless, it still looks washed out to me in the trailers.

It is the body she complained about because supposedly it caused rashes. But when the trailers first started coming out, people threw shade at her appearance as being CGI only with no makeup because she was 'phoning it in'.

Glad to see you agree with me finally. :insane:

Edited by Bosco685

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is the body she complained about because supposedly it caused rashes. But when the trailers first started coming out, people threw shade at her appearance as being CGI only with no makeup because she was 'phoning it in'.

Glad to see you agree with me finally. :insane:

I also thought the body suit made its 1st appearance in Days of Future Past, so that is kinda old news.

Have not seen the movie so the "phone it in" is yet to be determined. Although, I did find the trailers kinda flat, and I am not seeing it this weekend (granted I am busy with too much other stuff).  Personally, I am afraid of being twice burned on the Dark Pheonix storyline.  The comic version was the first thing I ever read in comics and it what made me fall in love with the X-Men. So it really bothers me when the story is not done justice.

Love this thing we have going.(:

14 minutes ago, drotto said:

I also thought the body suit made its 1st appearance in Days of Future Past, so that is kinda old news.

Have not seen the movie so the "phone it in" is yet to be determined. Although, I did find the trailers kinda flat, and I am not seeing it this weekend (granted I am busy with too much other stuff).  Personally, I am afraid of being twice burned on the Dark Pheonix storyline.  The comic version was the first thing I ever read in comics and it what made me fall in love with the X-Men. So it really bothers me when the story is not done justice.

Love this thing we have going.(:

Going tonight with friends. By the way, for those that use Fandango to buy tickets.

Fandango01.PNG.eeb2149f53987d7e4eab77c13a9a0d43.PNG

It works!

Look forward to reading your reaction. :popcorn:

47 minutes ago, drotto said:

Personally, I am afraid of being twice burned on the Dark Pheonix storyline.  The comic version was the first thing I ever read in comics and it what made me fall in love with the X-Men. So it really bothers me when the story is not done justice.

Oh, to be sure, Dark Phoenix the Motion Picture does not do justice to the original comic book story. But is it better than Last Stand? In some ways yes, in some ways no. It's a different take that equally strays from the comic. But at least this time, there's an actual Phoenix Force. 

Personally, I think Marvel is done with the Dark Phoenix story. As big as it was back in the day, it's kind of dated now, as is Days of Future Past, now that we know you can't change the present by changing the past. It'll actually be kind of refreshing if Feige and Co. can find new X-Men stories to tell other than those two storylines which have been kind of done to death and were a plot basis for most of the Fox X-Men movies.

12 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

SOPHIE TURNER WAS HORRIBLE !!!! Along with the writing , directing , and FX.  Not even great actors could save this drek !!!  Nothing was good   This movie made Last Stand look like The Empire Strikes Back  

I haven't seen the movie yet.  Maybe this weekend..I just liked her in GoT.   

But I did hear the box office states X-Men: Dark Phoenix will out sell all of the Star Wars movies combined in one weekend...Lines formed three days ago....riots and fights breaking out, buildings set on fire for those who didn't get a ticket... military called out to keep the peace. 
I might be "slightly" off on this based on what I'm hearing.

13 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

But I did hear the box office states X-Men: Dark Phoenix will out sell all of the Star Wars movies combined in one weekend...Lines formed three days ago....riots and fights breaking out, buildings set on fire for those who didn't get a ticket... military called out to keep the peace. 
I might be "slightly" off on this based on what I'm hearing.

:nyah:

That was actually a scene from The Last Stand.

emotion01.gif.d430b8bb569dd50957b1cf3673e91a23.gif