• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

For the X-Men franchise I loved the first two along with Days of Future Past.

Loved all three Wolverine movies.

I am starting to wonder now that maybe I have always just been a Wolverine fan all this time and really wasn't a X-men fan?

Maybe that`s why the latest X-Men movie bombed at the box office? No Wolverine?

hm

Your first mistake was liking Origins: Wolverine.  That movie is atrocious.

11 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Your first mistake was liking Origins: Wolverine.  That movie is atrocious.

i thought it was good. I love the Sabretooth and Wolverine scenes. What did suck about it was the Deadpool scenes,but if we take away the Deadpool scenes it was a good movie. I have watched this movie 15 times and counting.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

i thought it was good. I love the Sabretooth and Wolverine scenes. What did suck about it was the Deadpool scenes,but if we take away the Deadpool scenes it was a good movie. I have watched this movie 15 times and counting.

MCP 72-84 vs. “Thanks for the adamantium guys, toodles!  Oh hey, do you validate parking?”

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

MCP 72-84 vs. “Thanks for the adamantium guys, toodles!  Oh hey, do you validate parking?”

Actually, X-Men Origins: Wolverine references back to Origin #1-6, Wolverine Vol. 2 #10 (1st battle with Sabretooth) and yes - some of Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. Act 1 and Act 2 are definitely worth watching. It's that nutty Act 3 that destroys the film, like @ComicConnoisseur noted.

:foryou:

I love ya @ComicConnoisseur but I can't get behind Origins:Wolverine. I thought it was pretty terrible. I did love The Wolverine (up to the point where they felt the need to upend an exciting action adventure flick by tacking on a giant silver CGI robot) and Logan, though.

For me, a master ranking of the X-Universe flicks would be

Top of the Heap:

X2

Days of Future Past

Logan

The Wolverine

First Class

Deadpool

Then the middle:

X3 Last Stand - yeah, I'm the guy that actually liked this movie. I thought it was dumb fun, and at that point, the first of the flicks where they let the characters really cut loose with their powers

Apocalypse - yeah, me again. This movie is stupid, but it's colorful and fun. These movies don't all have to be a morose slog.

Deadpool 2 - nothing wrong with this, but I'm already getting tired of DP/Reynold's shtick.

And then bringing up the rear:

X-Men - this movie gets most of its cred simply because it didn't totally suck at a time when superhero movies could only suck. It has not aged well at all.

Origins: Wolverine

Dark Phoenix

Edited by F For Fake

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Actually, X-Men Origins: Wolverine references back to  roughly bastardizes small parts of Origin #1-6 issues #2 & #3, mixes Wolverine Vol. 2 #10 (1st battle with Sabretooth) with parts of #79 (random battle with Cyber) and yes - some of Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. Act 1 and Act 2 are definitely barely worth watching. But it's that nutty Act 3 that really destroys the film, like @ComicConnoisseur noted.

:foryou:

Fixed it for you (thumbsu

Edited by mattn792

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You're fired.

I don't recall being hired in the first place. You owe me severance!

Then again, if I recall, you actually enjoyed Man of Steel and BvS, so "morose slog" must be your thing. ;)

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You will receive a damaged Blu-ray of X-Men: Apocalypse in the mail shortly.

Way ahead of you there, pal!

23 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

He doesn't like Punisher: War Zone either...  :tonofbricks:

Did he see the part where he PUNCHES THROUGH THE GUY'S FACE?

I mean, what more could you want?

It's the Citizen Kane of face-punching movies.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, at least BvS was better than Jonah Hex.

I still can't believe that they made a Jonah Hex movie, and that it was apparently so bad that I could never even make myself watch it. Same with Green Lantern. I would have KILLED for those when I was a kid. As an adult, can't even bother to spend the 90 minutes.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

I still can't believe that they made a Jonah Hex movie, and that it was apparently so bad that I could never even make myself watch it. Same with Green Lantern. I would have KILLED for those when I was a kid. As an adult, can't even bother to spend the 90 minutes.

Jonah Hex was an abomination. Far worse than Ghost Rider, and a bigger disappointment than even Suicide Squad -- given the amazing source material and talent involved.

By far career-worst work by both Michael Fassbender and John Malkovich.

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Jonah Hex was an abomination. Far worse than Ghost Rider, and a bigger disappointment than even Suicide Squad -- given the amazing source material and talent involved.

By far career-worst work by both Michael Fassbender and John Malkovich.

Yeah. I'm still sticking with my decision to give it a pass.

Saw this on the weekend - it was MUCH better than expected given the negative reviews and box office beating it is taking.  It was better than Last Stand and MUCH better than Apocalypse - it was by no means great, but the action was good and the FX were great.

I just want Marvel Studios to do a stand-alone Magneto movie with Fassbender :)