• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I enjoy having physical copies. What if my internet goes out (it's happened - for a 3-day stretch before)? What if I wanna watch a movie elsewhere and don't wanna give them access to my account(s)?

The movies that I own digital-only: Captain America: Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, Shazam, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters. When the MCU Phase 3 Collection is released that list will shrink to 2, though.

Same here. Also -- what if licensing agreements change or the service that you bought your digital copy from goes away. SOL

I rip all my discs to my NAS anyway, so I can stream it if I want and have that physical backup in case something goes wrong.

I was going to watch this to compare it to the Last Stand but after watching that Honest Trailer take I cant even do it.  This looks so bad that I wouldn't be able to make it through the whole thing.  Other then Fassbender as Magneto, I really dislike the casting for all the characters.  

Waiting for the Marvel relaunch...

On 9/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, Antpark said:

Same here. Also -- what if licensing agreements change or the service that you bought your digital copy from goes away. SOL

I rip all my discs to my NAS anyway, so I can stream it if I want and have that physical backup in case something goes wrong.

I still buy a lot of physical media, for the reasons given. No one knows when the content owners are going to pull the rug out from under you, or edit the content, etc. I still collect laserdisc and DVD as well, so I can hold onto the original color timing, edits etc of certain movies I love. So many fond memories of going into Suncoast, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc and browsing the aisles of media. Going to Best Buy is so sad now. Only a couple of the local BB's even have physical media anymore (aside from a single kiosk in the front) and the others are pretty dire. Streaming may be convenient, but most services don't offer the sort of stuff I'm looking for. So, for the most part, if I want to see a particular movie, I can walk over to my shelf and pull it down, and I don't have to worry about streaming speed, buffering, or content disappearing.

The REAL concern is that eventually the players are going to stop working. There are a lot of folks in the FB groups who do home repair on their laser players, vcr's, etc. But it's going to get to a point where we can't find parts for these things, or mechanics are going to fail that simply can't be replaced/repaired, and then we're stuck with a pile of media we can't play at all.

But I'll be long dead by then, so who cares? 

To keep things on topic, I've debated buying the Dark Phoenix steelbook a few times now. I have every other X-Men related movie (including X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I can't imagine watching again) in the collection, and the steelbook is VERY pretty. But man, that movie blew. Even with some rewards points in my account, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on buying a movie I'm pretty sure I'll never watch again in my life, just to keep the collection complete.

But then again...it's pretty!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

To keep things on topic, I've debated buying the Dark Phoenix steelbook a few times now. I have every other X-Men related movie (including X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I can't imagine watching again) in the collection, and the steelbook is VERY pretty. But man, that movie blew. Even with some rewards points in my account, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on buying a movie I'm pretty sure I'll never watch again in my life, just to keep the collection complete.

Completionism can be overrated...

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

...The REAL concern is that eventually the players are going to stop working. There are a lot of folks in the FB groups who do home repair on their laser players, vcr's, etc. But it's going to get to a point where we can't find parts for these things, or mechanics are going to fail that simply can't be replaced/repaired, and then we're stuck with a pile of media we can't play at all.

But I'll be long dead by then, so who cares? 

I was gonna say that I don't think they're gonna stop putting media players in PlayStations and XBoxes, but you may have covered that here.

I too enjoy having physical media. A few CDs. I prefer buying physical video games. Lots of shows and movies on disc. Etc.

20 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

@Bosco685 - you gotta admit that Honest Trailer mash up was pretty funny.  :bigsmile:

It was even slightly educational, until now I didn't know Ato Essandoh was in The Last Stand 2.  I very much enjoy his work as Dr. Latham on Chicago Med, too bad they've underutilized him lately.

I didn't say some of these videos aren't funny. That fellow that does the pitch meets is dang funny!

But to use those to gauge should you watch a movie or TV show? Come on now. They even did one for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Anyone going to call that a dog?

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Just do it man!If you're talking about it,you know you wanna!I'm here to say get it,or in ten years you'll be bellyaching you didn't :sumo:

You know I'm right friend.Unless it was Elektra bad.Whoo,if it's that awful-I've not seen DP- I'll shut up lol 

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I didn't say some of these videos aren't funny. That fellow that does the pitch meets is dang funny!

But to use those to gauge should you watch a movie or TV show? Come on now. They even did one for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Anyone going to call that a dog?

IIRC they admitted that they would be nitpicking that movie. Like admitting it isn't perfect but really awesome.

17 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Completionism can be overrated...

You're definitely right. I used to drive myself crazy putting together the Criterion Collection, Fox Classics, etc. Glad I jumped off that ship. I may give this one a pass AND throw away Wolverine Origins, and live life just as happily as before!