• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

My personal list:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  2. X-Men: First Class
  3. X2
  4. X-Men
  5. Logan
  6. Deadpool
  7. The Wolverine
  8. Deadpool 2
  9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
  10. X-Men: Apocalypse
  11. X-Men: The Last Stand
  12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

To say Dark Phoenix was the worst when even with Disney tampering it still delivered a decent story dismisses the film too soon.

I haven’t seen Dark Phoenix yet but I definitely agree with your top pick. Not only the best X-Men movie but I enjoyed it more than any Avengers movie. I think Logan would be my number two pick on this list.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

My personal list:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  2. X-Men: First Class
  3. X2
  4. X-Men
  5. Logan
  6. Deadpool
  7. The Wolverine
  8. Deadpool 2
  9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
  10. X-Men: Apocalypse
  11. X-Men: The Last Stand
  12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

To say Dark Phoenix was the worst when even with Disney tampering it still delivered a decent story dismisses the film too soon.

That's a solid list, although I'd rate Logan and X-2 higher, respectively, and The Last Stand even ahead of Deadpool 2. Agree that the first Wolverine film was the worst.

But it was almost offensive how bad Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix were after how surprisingly good First Class and DOFP were. Similar to how bad Batman Forever was after Batman Returns. 

I still haven't seen Logan or the one before that yet when he's in Japan. I still think X2 is the best one. It's not perfect. And I expect when the X-Men are part of the official Marvel Film Universe then we will get something far better. I imagine it will be as cool as that scene when the Avengers assembled in New York.

I do want to see the New Mutants movie. And I see Dark Phoenix is on HBO. I'm not really looking forward to seeing it. Which tells you something about these movies when a guy who has many X-Men comics, posters, and statues isn't excited about the movies.

Edited by GeneticNinja

On 3/26/2020 at 1:38 AM, GeneticNinja said:

I still haven't seen Logan or the one before that yet when he's in Japan. I still think X2 is the best one. It's not perfect. And I expect when the X-Men are part of the official Marvel Film Universe then we will get something far better. I imagine it will be as cool as that scene when the Avengers assembled in New York.

I do want to see the New Mutants movie. And I see Dark Phoenix is on HBO. I'm not really looking forward to seeing it. Which tells you something about these movies when a guy who has many X-Men comics, posters, and statues isn't excited about the movies.

As a fellow X-Men fan, that's what I was waiting for too. I ended up watching it a few days ago. It was . . . .  ok, I guess.

I've always enjoyed Fassbender as Magneto, so it was worth the watch just for that. 

I am glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater though.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:38 AM, GeneticNinja said:

11 hours ago, Antpark said:

As a fellow X-Men fan, that's what I was waiting for too. I ended up watching it a few days ago. It was . . . .  ok, I guess.

I've always enjoyed Fassbender as Magneto, so it was worth the watch just for that. 

I am glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater though.

'So once the MCU does X-Men then it will be better' unfortunately misses out on the Fox X-Franchise films that have stood out.

As a fellow X-Men fan that has loved these characters since the 70's I'm disappointed in my fellow X-Men fans. But when the MCU introduces the X-Mutants I'm sure I'll be more satisfied with them.

:baiting:

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'So once the MCU does X-Men then it will be better' unfortunately misses out on the Fox X-Franchise films that have stood out.

As a fellow X-Men fan that has loved these characters since the 70's I'm disappointed in my fellow X-Men fans. But when the MCU introduces the X-Mutants I'm sure I'll be more satisfied with them.

Let me clarify - I was waiting for Dark Phoenix to come out on HBO, not for the X-Men to hit the MCU.

I've thoroughly enjoyed many of the Fox X-Men movies (X2 is my favorite, followed closely by First Class), but unfortunately was so disappointed by the last one (Apocalypse) and was so underwhelmed by what I was seeing for this one, that I had no desire whatsoever to see this in the theaters. 

:foryou:

40 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Let me clarify - I was waiting for Dark Phoenix to come out on HBO, not for the X-Men to hit the MCU.

I've thoroughly enjoyed many of the Fox X-Men movies (X2 is my favorite, followed closely by First Class), but unfortunately was so disappointed by the last one (Apocalypse) and was so underwhelmed by what I was seeing for this one, that I had no desire whatsoever to see this in the theaters. 

I was just having fun with the ever-present 'the MCU will make it better' chant.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

I did like that Gifted TV show but that was cancelled and ended on a cliffhanger. Perhaps they could make a comic to finish that off.

1 hour ago, GeneticNinja said:

I did like that Gifted TV show but that was cancelled and ended on a cliffhanger. Perhaps they could make a comic to finish that off.

I own both seasons of The Gifted, and agree that cliffhanger hinted to a Days of Future Past lead-in would make for an interesting comic book follow-up.

Such a shame, as it was an interesting way of introducing new audiences to the X-Men world.

watched this with the family last night, my almost adult daughters and wifey were really pumped by it. There was some cheering in the tv room, especially when the X-Men let loose towards the end.

I was surprised at one characters name being Selene, I guess she was the Hellfire Club character in some form. I had no idea who the guy was who appeared to be using his dreadlocks as weapons, any help on that one?

I was surprised at Prof X drinking so much, that was weird and an odd choice for them I thought. Not wrong, just odd.

Overall I enjpyed it as well. My one daughter siad something like "that was a good way to end the X-Men films" but I told her we still have New Mutants coming!!!

On 3/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, Antpark said:

when Hank gives him the news and they go to close-up I said to the family "okay, they have a real actor here so they want to show us him acting". He is the standout in the movie. I thought McAvoy was weak myself. 

this never gets old

The Biggest Box Office Bombs Of 2019:  #1

Deadline’s annual film revenue tournaments have celebrated the triumphs of each year’s most profitable films. For a third year in a row, we decided to look at the ones that amounted to a big swing and a miss. Here are the movies our experts said posted the worst losses of 2019.

THE FILM

X-Men: Dark Phoenix
20th Century Studios/Disney
Total Loss: $133M

5cb6594425be3.jpg?crop=0px%2C0px%2C1728p20th Century Fox

As the writer and producer and creative spine of recent X-Men movies, Simon Kinberg was finally entrusted to direct his own movie after backstopping others, including Josh Trank in Fantastic Four. X-Men star Jennifer Lawrence lobbied for Kinberg. What went wrong? Some believe the eye of the studio wasn’t on a first-time director as much as would have been the case if Fox wasn’t being inhaled by Disney. Dark Phoenix was originally conceived as two films, but the studio had second thoughts. Ultimately, test audiences thumbed down endings where Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) died. And they wanted a bigger climatic ending where the heroes battle (versus the intimate finale that was released). Dark Phoenix was never intended to a be summer film, but an offseason release before Captain Marvel became Marvel’s first female superhero in a stand-alone film. There were multiple release date changes — early November became February 14 and finally June 7. The last-minute release date change occurred two days after Fox dropped the second trailer, which listed Dark Phoenix’s release date as Feb. 14, which not only confused fans, but sent a message that the movie was damaged goods. It also didn’t help that staff promoting the movie was being laid off. Kinberg fell on the sword for a film that got a CinemaScore of B- but a dreadful Rotten Tomatoes score of 23%; both were the lowest scores ever for the franchise. The future of X-Men is now in the hands of MCU boss Kevin Feige. Production cost here ballooned to $200 million, with the lowest worldwide gross ever for an X-Men film at $252.M. The end result here is a $133M loss.

Edited by paperheart

16 hours ago, paperheart said:

this never gets old

Deadline’s annual film revenue tournaments have celebrated the triumphs of each year’s most profitable films. For a third year in a row, we decided to look at the ones that amounted to a big swing and a miss. Here are the movies our experts said posted the worst losses of 2019.

THE FILM

As the writer and producer and creative spine of recent X-Men movies, Simon Kinberg was finally entrusted to direct his own movie after backstopping others, including Josh Trank in Fantastic Four. X-Men star Jennifer Lawrence lobbied for Kinberg. What went wrong? Some believe the eye of the studio wasn’t on a first-time director as much as would have been the case if Fox wasn’t being inhaled by Disney. Dark Phoenix was originally conceived as two films, but the studio had second thoughts. Ultimately, test audiences thumbed down endings where Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) died. And they wanted a bigger climatic ending where the heroes battle (versus the intimate finale that was released). Dark Phoenix was never intended to a be summer film, but an offseason release before Captain Marvel became Marvel’s first female superhero in a stand-alone film. There were multiple release date changes — early November became February 14 and finally June 7. The last-minute release date change occurred two days after Fox dropped the second trailer, which listed Dark Phoenix’s release date as Feb. 14, which not only confused fans, but sent a message that the movie was damaged goods. It also didn’t help that staff promoting the movie was being laid off. Kinberg fell on the sword for a film that got a CinemaScore of B- but a dreadful Rotten Tomatoes score of 23%; both were the lowest scores ever for the franchise. The future of X-Men is now in the hands of MCU boss Kevin Feige. Production cost here ballooned to $200 million, with the lowest worldwide gross ever for an X-Men film at $252.M. The end result here is a $133M loss.

'This never gets old'? :baiting:

I wonder what influenced all those changes made to Dark Phoenix - to include the "Women pull the weight on the 'X-Men' team"? hm

Edited by Bosco685

I finally got around to watching Dark Phoenix and while my expectations were low, I thought it was actually ok.  I actually enjoyed it for the most part.  I thought Sophie Turner did a pretty good job in it. 
It certainly wasn't the worst super hero movie I've ever seen.  There are far worse ones to me anyway.   Not a great movie but this Dark Phoenix was at least decent to me....maybe even more than decent if I think about it some more. 

I finally decided to watch Dark Phoenix. And it's not that bad. I think there is a good movie somewhere in there. The actors are fine. The villain is kind of generic, perhaps because of the story cuts. But she's better than the last one. The music is good. I might get the soundtrack. The space opening is cool. Seeing the X-Jet is always awesome though. We finally have a good actress playing Storm. She didn't really get the chance in the last movie, which I thought was fairly forgettable. I wish Storm had more to do in Dark Phoenix. But she's pretty cool in all her scenes even the funny ice cube making sequence. I liked Dazzler's light show in that scene too but not the song from what I heard. These X-Men movies seem to be good with the cameos and quick scenes. Quicksilver always has some of the best scenes in these movies. Cyclops needs more time too but you can see him becoming the leader.

I think overall the problem with the movie is that it feels kind of average. Jean is still doing the confetti stuff at the end which made me remember the terrible Last Stand movie. That fight scene in the street at Jean's house also reminded me of Last Stand. Maybe I don't remember the comic story but I wasn't buying her character. It feels like this sort of story should be built up over multiple movies as her actions seemed out of character and for the sake of the story. I did like the train fight. That's when we get to see the best scenes with Storm in the entire X-Men series I think. Which is pretty sad that it took this long.

I believe I posted it before with these movies or another comic property, but after seeing these movies you should want to get Blu-ray and the Hot Toys figures. And these X-Men movies don't make me feel that way. Although I would take a casual costume Cyclops and Storm Hot Toys figures. But that's not happening.

It's a odd way to end the X-Men series too on an ending that might as well be the same as the X2 ending. X2 is still my favorite. But maybe if X2 didn't exist Dark Phoenix would be my favorite. Perhaps that says something about how average I feel the whole series is. I did read above and on the wiki that Dark Phoenix was supposed to be a two part movie. But still, they need to get this stuff right with the amount of money they are spending. Although the profits from the previous movies certainly covered the loss on this one. Perhaps they will get it right on the next introduction of the X-Men.

PS - Another thing, I thought at the end of the last movie that they would get the 90s costumes for Dark Phoenix? I guess they forgot about that.

Edited by GeneticNinja

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I finally decided to watch Dark Phoenix. And it's not that bad. I think there is a good movie somewhere in there. The actors are fine. The villain is kind of generic, perhaps because of the story cuts. But she's better than the last one. The music is good. I might get the soundtrack. The space opening is cool. Seeing the X-Jet is always awesome though. We finally have a good actress playing Storm. She didn't really get the chance in the last movie, which I thought was fairly forgettable. I wish Storm had more to do in Dark Phoenix. But she's pretty cool in all her scenes even the funny ice cube making sequence. I liked Dazzler's light show in that scene too but not the song from what I heard. These X-Men movies seem to be good with the cameos and quick scenes. Quicksilver always has some of the best scenes in these movies. Cyclops needs more time too but you can see him becoming the leader.

I think overall the problem with the movie is that it feels kind of average. Jean is still doing the confetti stuff at the end which made me remember the terrible Last Stand movie. That fight scene in the street at Jean's house also reminded me of Last Stand. Maybe I don't remember the comic story but I wasn't buying her character. It feels like this sort of story should be built up over multiple movies as her actions seemed out of character and for the sake of the story. I did like the train fight. That's when we get to see the best scenes with Storm in the entire X-Men series I think. Which is pretty sad that it took this long.

I believe I posted it before with these movies or another comic property, but after seeing these movies you should want to get Blu-ray and the Hot Toys figures. And these X-Men movies don't make me feel that way. Although I would take a casual costume Cyclops and Storm Hot Toys figures. But that's not happening.

It's a odd way to end the X-Men series too on an ending that might as well be the same as the X2 ending. X2 is still my favorite. But maybe if X2 didn't exist Dark Phoenix would be my favorite. Perhaps that says something about how average I feel the whole series is. I did read above and on the wiki that Dark Phoenix was supposed to be a two part movie. But still, they need to get this stuff right with the amount of money they are spending. Although the profits from the previous movies certainly covered the loss on this one. Perhaps they will get it right on the next introduction of the X-Men.

PS - Another thing, I thought at the end of the last movie that they would get the 90s costumes for Dark Phoenix? I guess they forgot about that.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I think this movie may have been the last shot at a version of the "tragic" Dark Phoenix story that we're all familiar with. Jean Grey is alive in the comics now so it's a dated story. I think if Disney does any kind of version of Dark Phoenix in the distant future (I also think it'll be a while before we see the MCU X-Men), it will focus more on Jean Grey as Phoenix. If she goes "dark", it should be more spread out. The two Fox versions, being traditional movies, focused on the entire saga in one movie, which I don't think works. It's almost better suited for a TV show.

For Phoenix to really work, there needs to be a heavy cosmic element, which the Fox versions didn't have. They were too grounded on Earth. The MCU with its emphasis on the cosmic now, should be better suited for any kind of future Phoenix saga, if they even go there.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, paperheart said:

this never gets old

THE FILM

Are box office bombs any indicator of whether a movie is good or not? Are box office successes any indicator? I loved Shawshank Redemption, a great film that bombed. The list goes on. But come up with an idea with fast cars - billion dollar franchise!