• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

the New Mutants movie is intended to be the X-Men movies franchise's entry into the Young Adult film genre

Ugh.

Every time I hear that the first thing that comes to mind are those awful Twilight movies and the last Fantastic Four. . . "Now with Mutants!"

They have already taken down the video of the girl. hm

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Audition Videos Hint At Recasting Rogue?

Audition videos for X-Men: Dark Phoenix have been discovered online.

The audition videos, submitted under the film's working title "Teen Spirit," come from three young actors. Rarmian Newton is an Australian actor who has appeared on The Family and Dance Academy. Alexa Swinton is a Canadian-American actress who appears on Billions. Paul Mescal is an Irish newcomer.

Newton is auditioning for a character referred to as Shane. Mescal is going for one referred to as Sam. Swinton’s is more interesting, as she is going for a character named Marie.

While any or all of these may be code names and not actual character names, it is hard not to look at “Marie” and wonder if this is a young Rogue, since Marie is Rogue's real name. Swinton certainly looks the part, and with X-Men: Dark Phoenix being set in the 1990s she is young enough to play Rogue at an age appropriate age relative to the age Anna Paquin played her as in the original X-Men, although appropriately aging characters has not been a major concern for the X-Men movies franchise in the past.

Michael Fassbender Confirmed For X-Men: Dark Phoenix?

While rumors have been swirling around who would be directing that movie, some fans have wondered who is going to feature in it. Sophie Turner is pretty much a lock, as is James McAvoy, but what about his First Class counterparts in Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender. Now Josh Horowitz of MTV News is saying that Fassbender is very likely to appear in X-Men: Dark Phoenix as Magneto.

hHNLsU1.png

I'm really burned out with X-Men films. Quicksilver was the most refreshing thing about these last movies, and I'm not sure If they will bring him back. Logan was the obvious exception to the rule, and with Jackman gone, I'm not that hopeful.  He was pretty much the foundation and anchor for the X-Men films. I just have zero interest at this point. I would love to see everything redone. New actors, new directors, new writers, etc. Good luck on replacing Jackman though.

I just find myself wondering about what must go on in the storyboard room when writing an X-Men movie these days...

"How about we introduce The Brood?!"
'Dude!  Or failing that, we could at least start with the Shi'ar.'
'''Sure sure, but why not just stay Earth-centric with the X-Tinction Agenda?'''
""Have we given enough time to Bishop and his time travelling hi jinks?  I mean he only got a little DOFP screen time.""

--Cross talk continues, until being abruptly cut off by ominous sounding guy sitting in the shadows--

'''''You're all fools!  Fools I say!  We will give the world yet another Phoenix movie, and they will like it!  Fetch my X-Men: The Animated Series DVDs!'''''
"But sir, at least go to the source material.  The Phoenix story arc originated in Uncanny X-Men one hundred..."
'''''You there!  You're fired!  Now someone else bring me my DVDs!!!'''''

:frustrated:

Edited by mattn792

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Audition Tape Teases Shi'ar Empire

x-men-dark-phoenix-shi-ar-empire-1001411

Over on Omega Underground, the site stumbled upon a new audition tape for The Dark Phoenix. The footage sees actor Toby Huss reading for a role called Hoover. The character appears to be a reconnaissance agent, and fans have noticed a few peculiar bits about his tape.

In Huss’ audition, the actor can be heard using a stilted and unearthly voice. The way the character speaks isn’t natural, leading fans to wonder whether this Hoover fellow is not from Earth. The lines which Huss reads suggests his character isn’t familiar with America or even mankind as a species. These lines may not be ones penned for the X-Men film, but they are likely indicative of the character Huss would be playing if he were casted. So, with that in mind, netizens seem convinced Hoover may be an agent related to Marvel’s Shi’ar Empire.

5 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Did marvel sell off the entire mutanthood to Fox?

Yes, in the early 1990s.  The contract included all current and future mutants, which is why Marvel has been very hesitant to create new mutant characters in recent years.

I expect Disney will eventually buy Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four back, but it'll be hard for them to get the X-Men.  Fox would really bend them over for it.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yes, in the early 1990s.  The contract included all current and future mutants, which is why Marvel has been very hesitant to create new mutant characters in recent years.

I expect Disney will eventually buy Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four back, but it'll be hard for them to get the X-Men.  Fox would really bend them over for it.

Yup! After the success of the Fox-Marvel partnership over the X-Men Animated Series, Lauren Shuler Donner (who had sponsored the animated series) negotiated for the movie rights to produce live movies. She's been the producer and Fox executive sponsor ever since then.

15 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I thought it was just the X-Men they sold, not all and perpetually.  Man, that was dumb.

It wasn't dumb; they had no choice.  They were bankrupt, so it was sell off assets or go out of business.  All the film rights they sold to Fox and Sony were in perpetuity as long as they continued to actively make films within a specific timeframe.  Marvel didn't make movies at that point and had no vision for doing so until after CGI became good enough to depict superhero powers realistically in live-action films.  So yes, in retrospect, it looks dumb, but if it's 1994 and Marvel has just filed for bankruptcy, what would any of us have done differently?  (shrug)

Remember, the X-Men lineup has gone through dozens and dozens and dozens of changes.  Apparently it got clarified as mutant characters which jibes with the way Stan Lee and subsequent writers looked at the team as well.

Edited by fantastic_four

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It wasn't dumb; they had no choice.  They were bankrupt, so it was sell off assets or go out of business.  All the film rights they sold to Fox and Sony were in perpetuity as long as they continued to actively make films within a specific timeframe.  Marvel didn't make movies at that point and had no vision for doing so until after CGI became good enough to depict superhero powers realistically in live-action films.  So yes, in retrospect, it looks dumb, but if it's 1994 and Marvel has just filed for bankruptcy, what would any of us have done differently?  (shrug)

Remember, the X-Men lineup has gone through dozens and dozens and dozens of changes.  Apparently it got clarified as mutant characters which jibes with the way Stan Lee and subsequent writers looked at the team as well.

I'm sure they get some kind of royalties, otherwise why include the timeframe stuff.  Being up against the wall and having a proven track record of not being able to make a film on their own, I'm sure it seemed like a win win, but man it seems like someone would've thought, 'hey, what if these movies are hugely successful?  Maybe we should cap the license or limit the characters'.  And at the time, it's not like any property they had mutant-wise was worth spit except the X-Men.  But I guess when you're over a barrel, you're over a barrel.

Edited by SteppinRazor

3 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I'm sure they get some kind of royalties, otherwise why include the timeframe stuff. 

Oh definitely.  It wasn't the first time they had done it and the timeframe stuff had been included in previous deals as well.  I don't recall the complete list of titles they had leased to film studios, but I know that awful FF movie from the early 1990s was made solely to satisfy the provision of the timeframe clause of the contract Marvel had with the studio who produced it.

Angelina Jolie And Jessica Chastain Are Reportedly Being Eyed For The Same Role In X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX

151701.jpg

Though he does state that he doesn't think she's going to wind up taking the part, on the latest episode of Meet The Movie Press, Jeff Sneider mentions that 20th Century Fox has its eye on Angelina Jolie (Wanted, Maleficent) for an unspecified role in X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

We don't know if the studio has actually reached out to the Academy Award-winning actress or not, but that's certainly implied. However, Sneider reckons Jolie is more likely to go with Universal's Bride of Frankenstein - but Fox might be zeroing in on an even bigger fan-favorite star for the same role.

Well, it's official.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Director & Returning Cast Confirmed

Simon Kinberg is officially confirmed to direct X-Men: Dark Phoenix for 20th Century Fox. Kinberg has been a writer and/or producer on several X-Men movies, including X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Logan, as well as upcoming films New Mutants and Deadpool 2. This will be his directorial debut.

Fox also confirmed that the stars of X-Men: Apocalypse will return for X-Men: Dark Phoenix. This includes Jennifer Lawrence as Raven/Mystique, Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr/Magneto, James McAvoy as Charles Xavier/Professor X, Nicholas Hoult as Henry "Hank" McCoy/Beast, Alexandra Shipp as Ororo Munroe/Storm, Sophie Turner as Jean Grey, Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers/Cyclops, and Kodi Smit-McPhee as Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler.

Jessica Chastain is also in talks to play the role of Lilandra, Majestrix of the Shi'ar Empire, one of the major political and military powers of the Marvel universe.

14 minutes ago, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

Am I the only one who thinks Sophie Turner has incredibly limited acting chops? I thought her performance in X-Men: Apocalypse was flat and distant.

I view her performance in Game of Thrones the same way.  If she's progressed since she started on that show at age 15, it's lost on me.