• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

There simply have to be better young actresses out there. McAvoy and Fassbender are great. Nicholas Hoult, Evan Peters, and Jennifer Lawrence were good. But Sophie Turner was, for me, distractingly bad. I know a lot of people watch Game of Thrones, and maybe that's why she was chosen, but casting a good unknown actress would have made more sense to me. 

I figured they cast her because she's young, gorgeous, tall, and a redhead on GoT and that all matches Jean Grey.  I say "redhead on GoT" because that's not her natural hair color; she claims it's some shade of blonde and they dye it for the show.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I figured they cast her because she's young, gorgeous, tall, and a redhead on GoT and that all matches Jean Grey.  I say "redhead on GoT" because that's not her natural hair color; she claims it's some shade of blonde and they dye it for the show.

I agree I doubt her hair is red for real, and I think also think that while she's improved incrementally, she's the worst actor of all the main cast members on game of thrones, which was more excusable when she was a child (though I don't know how old she actually was when she started), but masie Williams has easily surpassed her and whoever is playing bran is doing a pretty good job (even though I think the character is pretty lame), and tommen was AMAZEBALLS (go back and watch him, its like a masterclass of child acting). 

Just now, revat said:

I agree I doubt her hair is red for real, and I think also think that while she's improved incrementally, she's the worst actor of all the main cast members on game of thrones, which was more excusable when she was a child (though I don't know how old she actually was when she started), but masie Williams has easily surpassed her and whoever is playing bran is doing a pretty good job (even though I think the character is pretty lame), and tommen was AMAZEBALLS (go back and watch him, its like a masterclass of child acting). 

I wasn't guessing, I saw an interview where she said she's a blonde.  And she's 21 now, GoT started in 2011, so she was 15 when it came out, possibly 14 when she recorded it, and either 13 or 14 when they picked her for the role.

I was concerned when they selected her as Jean Grey.

Fd2O3xX.jpg

But I am more concerned they have not changed out Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique.

hqdefault.jpg

She worked in X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past. But it was clear in X-Men: Apocalypse too much screen time exposed how mismatched she was in this role compared to Rebecca Romjin.

47948.jpg

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

She worked in X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past. But it was clear in X-Men: Apocalypse too much screen time exposed how mismatched she was in this role compared to Rebecca Romjin.

While I like Rebecca Romijn more in the role, both pale to the comic version of Mystique and don't represent her at all.  Mystique in the comics is a far stronger character than she's ever been in the films.  She leads the Brotherhood instead of Magneto and is more talkative with a far stronger role.  But all of that is an effect of the writing more than the performance of either actress.  And if she were written on screen as she has been in the comic, I expect Lawrence to do better in the role.  She's a far more accomplished actress with more speaking range than Romijn has.  Romijn did well with a few snide lines to snarl out from time to time, but most of her presence in the first three films was physical, not verbal, and Romijn's physical movement is far stronger than Lawrence's, which for a character like Mystique is important.  In the films, by far the major role Mystique played was in "Days of Future Past," and I'm not sure Romijn would have done as well as Lawrence did with the larger volume of spoken lines.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

While I like Rebecca Romijn more in the role, both pale to the comic version of Mystique and don't represent her at all.  Mystique in the comics is a far stronger character than she's ever been in the films.  She leads the Brotherhood instead of Magneto and is more talkative with a far stronger role.  But all of that is an effect of the writing more than the performance of either actress.  And if she were written on screen as she has been in the comic, I expect Lawrence to do better in the role.  She's a far more accomplished actress with more speaking range than Romijn has.  Romijn did well with a few snide lines to snarl out from time to time, but most of her presence in the first three films was physical, not verbal.  In the films, by far the major role Mystique played was in "Days of Future Past," and I'm not sure Romijn would have done as well with that as Lawrence did.

Jennifer Lawrence is definitely the more experienced actress between the two, since Rebecca Romjin was a model before the role - not an actress. Yet when applied correctly to a scene, Romjin came across much more seasoned (since she is supposed to be older) and deadly. She comes across as disengaged from life, bitter, and open to terminating anyone that gets in her way.

Jennifer Lawrence in Apocalypse - not so much. Though, again, I felt she did great in the first two X-Men films.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Character Breakdowns Might Hint At SUNFIRE, DAZZLER, MIMIC And More

151840.jpg

The guys over at That Hashtag Show are back with another list of character breakdowns, this time for X-Men: Dark Phoenix which recently had its director and returning cast members officially confirmed.

It's quite an extensive lrundown, and as usual the character's real identities are hidden via codenames - however, the descriptions do provide a few intriguing hints.

The video below speculates that the likes of Sunfire, Dazzler, Mimic, Rogue (who has previously been rumored), Karl Lykos/Sauron and Mastermind may be introduced, as well as members of The Hellfire Club and the Shi’ar Imperial Guard.

We concur with some, not with others (a trip to The Savage Land seems very unlikely with everything else that'll be going on), but whether they turn out to be accurate or not a lot of thought has been put into joining the dots here.

‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’ to Introduce Dazzler on the Big Screen

x-men-dazzler-slice-600x200.jpg

When 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse was rolling out its marketing campaign, star Sophie Turner teased Marvel fans with an Easter egg that featured the musical mutant Dazzler. Around that time, Taylor Swift stirred up speculation that she might be stepping into the role when she took a photo with Turner, James McAvoy, and Simon Kinberg. (It was just a behind-the-scenes shot taken at a concert.) Clearly, nothing came of all that in Apocalypse except for a bit of record album art that never made it into the movie, but now that X-Men: Dark Phoenix is a go, it looks like it’s time to speculate all over again.

x-men-apocalypse-taylor-swift-dazzler-60

EW reports that “Dazzler will pop up but only in a small role and there is no plan at the moment to have Swift play her.” That might come as good news to fans of the Marvel mutant who can convert sound vibrations into light and energy beams (making for one hell of a concert) but bad news for folks who wanted to see Swift take on the role. Granted, there’s still a possibility she’ll step in to play the part, but there’s no further information available at the time.

Directed by Kinberg, X-Men: Dark Phoenix stars Turner, McAvoy, Tye Sheridan, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, Alexander Shipp and Kodi Smit-McPhee, with Jessica Chastain in talks to play the film’s villain, Lilandra, for a scheduled November 2, 2018 release.

Magneto Rumored To Be A Cult Leader In X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Rumors coming out of the set of Fox’s latest X-Men franchise feature (via Nerdist) suggest that Michael Fassbender is looking for a cult leader style look in the new film. This has led to some speculation that the film may also introduce a mutant faction known as the Acolytes.

While Magneto’s original mutant faction, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, operated like a terrorist cell with Magneto as their leader, the Acolytes were formed much later and viewed Magneto in more religious and less political terms. To them, Magneto was the mutant messiah and they devoted themselves to him completely. Among the Acolytes, its members included the powerful mutant zealot known as Exodus and the treacherous and cunning Fabian Cortez, who could boost other mutants’ abilities. The X-Man Colossus also defected to the Acolytes for a time.

Another interesting note is that the home base of the Acolytes was a space station built by Magneto called Avalon. This may be relevant since X-Men: Dark Phoenix will send the X-Men movie franchise into space for the first time.

Famke Janssen Would Do Anything To Play Jean Grey Again

Fans just learned Janssen would be up to reprise Jean Grey in a future X-Men movie should she be called upon. The star appeared at Denver Comic Con to talk about her Marvel tenure at 20th Century Fox, and Janssen said she’s do whatever it takes to revisit Jean.

“I’d do anything,” Janssen said. “Jean Grey is part of me, and I would definitely come back to play her whenever they ask me.”

The actress sat down for a lengthy Q&A panel with fans at the Denver convention, and Janssen reflected on her own time spent as the Dark Phoenix.

“That was so amazing. I never knew - I don’t think any of us had any understanding of how popular our first movie was going to be and that it was going live on for 15 plus years,” Janssen explained. “And then I certainly didn’t realize – I mean I knew Jean Grey could turn into Dark Phoenix, obviously, and that Phoenix rises from the ashes, but the fact that as Jean Grey or the Phoenix they’ve killed me, I’ve come back, I’m like a cockroach. They can’t get rid of me.”

Still, it doesn’t look like Janssen thinks her wish to reprise Jean will be granted anytime soon if ever. The actress told a forlorn crowd that she thinks she is done with Jean.

“I think we’re done, but it was really great while it lasted and it lasted for a long time. It's been nothing but a pleasure working not just as Jean Grey, which was such an honor because comics were so fantastic already, but then the entire cast who I got to play with, all my fellow actors, thespians who are so talented. It was just a wonderful experience. I’m very grateful.”

X-Men: Olivia Munn May Be Reprising Psylocke for Dark Phoenix

u0xPOGT.jpg

With Dark Phoenix set to begin filming in Montreal very soon, Omega Underground has placed Munn in the same city as the production, after she posted a picture on her Instagram story with her location on it. Munn landed at the Toronto airport early Friday with a suitcase that seems to imply that she is not making a brief stay there. With principal photography on Dark Phoenix expected to get underway within the month, the implication is that Munn will either have a larger role to play this time around and/or is filming her scenes in the next X-Men movie earlier during production.

This should be taken as a rumor under further notice, seeing as there has been no confirmation from 20th Century Fox or director Simon Kinberg that Munn will return for Dark Phoenix. There’s a chance that Munn is in Canada to do reshoots on the recently-wrapped Shane Black sequel The Predator, a film in which she has a major role.

On 7/8/2017 at 6:38 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Never ever understood the folks who see Turner as attractive...

Tall, thin, great figure, pretty face.  Average for an actress, well above-average for the general public.

She's been wanting to star in a comic book movie for a while now. Hopefully this role delivers.

Jessica Chastain Confirms X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Role As The Villainous Shi'ar Empress Lilandra

152994.jpg

Jessica Chastain has confirmed that she'll soon be heading to Montreal to begin filming her scenes for Simon Kinberg's X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

Back in June, THR reported that the Academy Award-nominated actress was in talks for the role of the villainous (at least, initially) Majestrix of the Shi'ar Empire, Lilandra Neramani, and Chastain has made it pretty clear that her character has ill intentions towards the X-Men with her Instagram snap below.