• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, VintageComics said:

It should be a 3 story arc like LOTR and The Hobbit were. Then it would be worth seeing.

Cramming all of that into one movie would make it as bad as BvS

What if they made it one movie, but 9 1/2 hours long?  With a Wonder Woman cross-over?  hm hm hm  Yeah, it would still suck.

12 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

What if they made it one movie, but 9 1/2 hours long?  With a Wonder Woman cross-over?  hm hm hm  Yeah, it would still suck.

Or a 10 part Netflix series with a Luke Cage cameo dressed as Stan Lee for Hallowe'en.

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Or a 10 part Netflix series with a Luke Cage cameo dressed as Stan Lee for Hallowe'en.

+1:roflmao:Seriously though, a Netflix series would be a good idea to play out some of these stories.

Edited by chezmtghut

So let me make sure I understand this -- They took the same half baked Phoenix premise from "The Last Stand", tossed on what amounts to a coat of returned paint that was picked up for cheap from the local Menards, and expect this to somehow not to be terrible? 

Yo...pass that #*&t !!!

I'm actually pretty surprised they could keep the stars like Fassbender and Lawrence in the movie, you'd think they'd be beyond this by now, and that Fox wouldn't pay them.

I'm ok with the premise, but I'd have been even more ok if this movie hadn't been made and Fox (under Marvel) just went the Deadpool/X-force rout for a while.  I assume this will be the last iteration of Xmen for a long while.  I'm pretty tired of the freaking Magneto crutch all the Xmen movies have had. 

BUT while most of us didn't like Apocalypse too much (I thought it was fine, and better upon rewatch when you can fast forward), it was SUPER POPULAR IN CHINA.  Like way more than any of the DC movies and MOST of the Marvel movies.  China likes Xmen movies like Germany loves Hasslehoff, AND China didn't really get to see the first iteration of Xmen movies (so they're not tired of Phoenix yet).

So far so good. Sophie looks much better then I expected. I like the CGI to her face since Jean looked like that some as well. 

I am not sold on the rest of the cast, but Sophie can carry this movie if she gets Jean right. I just think it would take more then
one movie to tell the Phoenix story correctly. There is just so much build up.

Will the ignore the cosmic side of the story too?

On 8/11/2018 at 6:18 PM, VintageComics said:

It should be a 3 story arc like LOTR and The Hobbit were. Then it would be worth seeing.

Agreed. Recommend 9_9 3 movies adapting main plot threads from X-men #101 origin of Phoenix, #108 Sk'iar, Starslammers and #136-137 death of Celery people and Dark Phoenix. Fox already did a good job adapting the White Queen and Sebastian Shaw characters into the mod-1960s.

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Will the ignore the cosmic side of the story too?

If a good chunk of this movie doesn't take place in space I'm going to be mad:pullhair:.  And Starjammers.  Gotta have Starjammers:sumo:.

More things that bother me:

- The age of the team ???

- Mystique :facepalm:

Things that will bring me to the theater:

- Magneto (people don't talk enough about MF's portrayal of the character.  He's perfect in that role.)

- Sophie Turner (not a fan of her acting but she pulls off the "fierce angry girl" role very well)

On 9/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, paperheart said:

Simon Kinberg’s Dark Phoenix from Feb. 14, 2019 to June 7, 2019 - one step closer to never :wishluck:

Disney might as well release it. Someone else paid to develop the film, so it is basically found money to go forward with. I wonder if they re-wrote the terms with the investors/backers that covered the production costs?

14 hours ago, kimik said:

Disney might as well release it. Someone else paid to develop the film, so it is basically found money to go forward with. I wonder if they re-wrote the terms with the investors/backers that covered the production costs?

It would be in Disney's and the MCU's best interest to not release a poor film under their leadership and distribution. The MCU and their character control is already confusing to a lot of people (Hulk and Spider-Man).

I really wish they would keep McAvoy and Fassbender in their roles. Reboot the franchise, and their characters, but these actors are just so perfect for X and Magneto. It'll be a tough challenge for the new cast to best their performances.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

Trailer was better than I expected.  I wasn't looking forward to it, but now I am.

Seen many critics and media types predict we will never see this movie.

This whole thing about the movies not getting the Dark Pheonix saga right always makes me think about the Forward that Stan Lee wrote for the trade for the original story.  A story I hold very close to my heart because it was the first comic story I ever read. I do not have it in front of me, but he basically says that the story is a masterpiece not just in comics, but for story telling in general,  and he would ( at the time it was written) put it up against anything currently coming out of Hollywood.  When I saw that forward, I thought is was overblown hyperbole.  Once I read it, I was a comic lover for life.

So how could such a relatively simple, but extremely well conceived and written story be that hard to translate to the screen. It does not need to be greatly altered or messed with, just adapted.  Yet nobody seems to want to do that.