• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

Dark Pheonix even if it a great movie has the air of dead film walking with the merger now complete.  To me doing the Dark Pheonix saga again is just setting this up for disappointment.  That is the story that got me addicted to comics, and X-Men is my first comic love. The trailers coupled with the release delays have left me with no excitement for this film.

It is already a franchise that has been rebooted once and is now going to be rebooted again. We are boarderline comic movie fatigue.  The last installment  was just passable. Just so many strikes against this movie, I do not see it doing well, even if it is good. Will take a miracle for this movie to get past 400 million. 

Wish I could be more positive about this one.

14 minutes ago, drotto said:

Dark Pheonix even if it a great movie has the air of dead film walking with the merger now complete.  To me doing the Dark Pheonix saga again is just setting this up for disappointment.  That is the story that got me addicted to comics, and X-Men is my first comic love. The trailers coupled with the release delays have left me with no excitement for this film.

It is already a franchise that has been rebooted once and is now going to be rebooted again. We are boarderline comic movie fatigue.  The last installment  was just passable. Just so many strikes against this movie, I do not see it doing well, even if it is good. Will take a miracle for this movie to get past 400 million. 

Wish I could be more positive about this one.

It is a good point about the acquisition killing the motivation this will lead to future films within the same franchise. Though for those enjoying these films (at least 3 of us in the world :insane: ), they may go see this as a farewell event.

(shrug)

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also for me is Wolverine is not in the movie. To me Wolverine is the number one X-Men. 

Right? Who is going to kill Jean Grey now?

Spoiler

:jokealert:

To me the best part of the dark Phoenix saga was the fight with the imperial guard for her fate. They're not even anywhere in the movie apparently. I want to see gladiator throw some xmen around and war star. This movie looks like a retread of xmen 3. I'm bored. And apocalypse sucked. 

1 minute ago, jason4 said:

To me the best part of the dark Phoenix saga was the fight with the imperial guard for her fate. They're not even anywhere in the movie apparently. I want to see gladiator throw some xmen around and war star. This movie looks like a retread of xmen 3. I'm bored. And apocalypse sucked. 

I agree. having the Shi-ar show up would be awesome cinema! Then Prof X can get all googly-eyed at Lilandra when he sees her, maybe even end the movie with him leaving with them. But Gladiator kickin' names and takin' azz is where it was at!

14 minutes ago, jason4 said:

:preach:

2 hours ago, jason4 said:

It`s going to be very interesting to see the box office results on this latest X-Men movie.

From what I get even the most hardcore superhero fans are fatigued with the series and can't wait for Marvel/Disney to take over.

Hopefully, this last FOX X-Men movie does indeed be very good and surprises a lot of fans.

3 hours ago, jason4 said:

That and Jean realizing she was too powerful and had killed 5 billion of those broccoli headed aliens so she decided to take her own life in possibly her last moment of clarity before being consumed by power. No doubt X-Men 137 was a brilliant book and conclusion to the story.

In today's would of high profile and paid actors, I am not sure you could kill off a major character that way anymore.  Plus, for people that did not understand the underlying inner struggle of Jean, her guilt, and just how powerful and dangerous the Pheonix was, people would claim it was promoting suicide somehow.

Without the proper build up into this story, and it should have been done over several films, this movie does not look like it conveys those items well.

To me Logan was the proper and fitting end to the Fox X-Men.

4 hours ago, jason4 said:

To me the best part of the dark Phoenix saga was the fight with the imperial guard for her fate. They're not even anywhere in the movie apparently. I want to see gladiator throw some xmen around and war star.

I've never been able to take the Imperial Guard seriously as characters knowing their origin as an explicit homage to the Legion of Super-Heroes.  Gladiator has always been especially problematic for me as an exact duplicate of Superman with a real name of Kallark that's an portmanteau of Superman's two first names of Kal and Clark.  I always forget which members of the Guard map to which original Legion members, but Clarement had a one-to-one mapping for all of them.

Edited by fantastic_four

56 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I've never been able to take the Imperial Guard seriously as characters knowing their origin as an explicit homage to the Legion of Super-Heroes.  Gladiator has always been especially problematic for me as an exact duplicate of Superman with a real name of Kallark that's an portmanteau of Superman's two first names of Kal and Clark.  I always forget which members of the Guard map to which original Legion members, but Clarement had a one-to-one mapping for all of them.

I see your point. But if they're going to do the dark Phoenix saga they might as well copy some of the better copied parts of it and give us some good on screen matchups. I grew up watching xmen animated series and seeing gladiator grab wolverine the way he did and throw him was cool. It was fun to see the xmen battle a superior team, even if they weren't super original. 

Right now the only matchups I'm seeing are dark Phoenix vs mystique (yawn) and magneto. The quicksilver part looks cool. I hope the movie is good I just don't see it yet. If we were getting the shiar and the imperial guard to go with the dark Phoenix stuff I think a lot of fans would be more excited. 

38 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I see your point. But if they're going to do the dark Phoenix saga they might as well copy some of the better copied parts of it and give us some good on screen matchups. I grew up watching xmen animated series and seeing gladiator grab wolverine the way he did and throw him was cool. It was fun to see the xmen battle a superior team, even if they weren't super original. 

Right now the only matchups I'm seeing are dark Phoenix vs mystique (yawn) and magneto. The quicksilver part looks cool. I hope the movie is good I just don't see it yet. If we were getting the shiar and the imperial guard to go with the dark Phoenix stuff I think a lot of fans would be more excited. 

Plus the X-Men fighting her is kinda the opposite of the original.   For a good part of 137 they are trying to defend her against the Imperial Guard, it is only at the end when Jean realizes Pheonix needs to die, and the Shiar are correct that she convinces her friends to turn against her. Again, it was brilliant and gut wrenching, and I am not sure how it all works without an opposing force. 

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

I have a similar nostalgic tie to Gladiator, but from a different source.  One of the first issues of Fantastic Four I ever bought and read is the one below.  I enjoyed the story and Gladiator in it, but even at the time I thought to myself how close a Superman clone he was--right down to him literally being described as a "super-man" on the cover.

clean.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

11705315_704339829699346_1775283378370632968_n.jpg

Saw 10 minutes of this movie at WonderCon last Saturday.  Most of the cast and the director were there.  I'm going to write this as a spoiler, but my comments are very general, and probably evident from the trailer. 

Spoiler

The footage encompassed two sequences in the movie.  The first, probably early in the film, took place in space, with the X-Men saving a shuttle crew in trouble.  The second sequence, probably late in the film, had half the team coming to stop Jean, and the other half coming to protect Jean.  A spoiler was also revealed (much to my surprise) in dialogue, the death of a major character.  I won't say who. 

5 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Saw 10 minutes of this movie at WonderCon last Saturday.  Most of the cast and the director were there.  I'm going to write this as a spoiler, but my comments are very general, and probably evident from the trailer. 

Hide contents

The footage encompassed two sequences in the movie.  The first, probably early in the film, took place in space, with the X-Men saving a shuttle crew in trouble.  The second sequence, probably late in the film, had half the team coming to stop Jean, and the other half coming to protect Jean.  A spoiler was also revealed (much to my surprise) in dialogue, the death of a major character.  I won't say who. 

Thoughts on what you saw?

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Thoughts on what you saw?

I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably see the movie in the theater.  It felt like reading an X-Men comic.  Cyclops drops an F-bomb at one point, which brought a few giggles. 

AA2-E979-A-C1-AB-4690-A1-D0-AE345-F412-E