• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

I don't trust Fox.  They killed it with Logan and Deadpool, but those successes are more attributable to the directors, not anyone at Fox.  And this is Simon Kinberg's very first movie as a director, so who knows.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

This movie could be epically bad.  Hopefully Disney steps in and cancels it before it gets any worse.

But with the secret villain rumors and some of the looks shown, it appears to be going down a different path than Apocalypse. In a good way.

:wishluck:

Edited by Bosco685

X-Men Producers Explain What Went Wrong With 'Apocalypse'

xmen-apocalypse--1064408-640x320.png

Apocalypse earned nearly $600 million worldwide, but the blockbuster's 48% "rotten" made it the third worst received installment in the franchise (behind only X-Men: The Last Stand's 58% and X-Men Origins: Wolverine's 38%).

Longtime X-Men producer and writer Simon Kinberg told EW the newest outing — directed for the first time by Kinberg, who wrote and produced Apocalypse — will "refocus" the series.

“I think we took our eye off what has always been the bedrock of the franchise which is these characters,” Kinberg said. “It became about global destruction and visual effects over emotion and character.”

Kinberg takes over from Bryan Singer, who launched the franchise with 2000's X-Men and helmed followups X2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Apocalypse. Kinberg admits Dark Phoenix was made with the flaws of its predecessor in mind, making for a dialed back and more grounded Phoenix.

“One of the things I went into this film wanting to do is obviously focus on the characters and give them real emotions to play and come up with a theme that would make it feel relevant and necessary in today’s world,” Kinberg added.

The writer-director explains his toned down and more realistic approach helped sell Fox on his idea.

"What I talked about with the performances and the photography and the visual effects is it needs to all feel organic and it needs to feel like it lives in our world to make it feel relevant again and not so heightened,” he said.

Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix producer Hutch Parker acknowledges the comic book genre had evolved "aesthetically and tonally," and Apocalypse failed to adapt.

"There’s a lot that I think is very good in the film but, as a whole, it was struggling to find ways to coalesce, narratively emotionally and in terms of plot," Parker noted. "Aesthetically, it felt sort of dated relative to an evolution you were seeing play out everywhere else. We learned a lot from that.”

Sounds like they did some deep reflecting on what went wrong after the strong response to X-Men: Days of Future Past. Although it would have been nice to also recognize the missed opportunity with character presentment.

Apocalypse-2-600x327.jpg

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' Director Reveals New Details On Jessica Chastain's Secret Role

Who is the Marvel Comics villain being played by Jessica Chastain?

A new EW feature digs a bit further into Chastain's role in Dark Phoenix, with the film's director (longtime X-Men franchise producer Simon Kinberg) dropping this latest hint as to the nature of Chastain's character: “Her character is way way smarter than we are. What she realizes is she can use [Jean Grey] to manipulate this world, to turn it against itself.”

This info comes on top of recent descriptions of her character being "an otherwordly shapeshifter who manipulates Phoenix for her own agenda. Chastain's villain is quiet but brutal." The actress herself also revealed a bit more, stating that her inspiration for this character is, "the vet who tells you you need to put your dog down. There’s something very clinical about it."

Spoiler

Taken altogether, fans have surmised that Chastain is mostly likely playing a Skrull Queen named Veranke from Marvel Comics. Veranke was a religious zealot who was banished to a barren world by the Skrull ruler Dorrek. When Veranke's prophecy of the Skrull Homeworld's destruction came true, she was crowned empress of the empire's remaints, and then launched a clandestine invasion of Earth executed over many years.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Will we see the Imperial Guard or the Starjammers in this thing? Any buzz on that?

Due to the additional character details coming out, it depends.

We may still have some form of space representation. But it could be a larger civilization Earth definitely doesn't want visiting the planet.

:ohnoez:

New Details On Cyclops' Role In X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX; It Sounds Like Scott Summers Will Finally Become A Leader

In the comic books, Scott Summers played a pivotal role in the Dark Phoenix Saga but that most definitely wasn't the case in X-Men: The Last Stand when Cyclops was unceremoniously killed off by Jean Grey off camera. Well, the signs are now pointing to director Simon Kinberg making up for past mistakes as he's said in a new interview that Scott will have a huge part in X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

Kinberg says "that relationship, his being willing to kill or die for [Jean Grey], is a huge part of the emotional core of the movie. It also makes Scott start to have to become a leader." That's something fans have desperately wanted to see for a while now and the hero stepping up to lead the X-Men as he tries to save Jean will definitely help get sceptical fans on board with how this movie plays out.

Entertainment Weekly adds that Cyclops is "the one mutant who never wavers from Team Jean" in X-Men: Dark Phoenix and with so much being said about Professor X's arrogance and the fact he attempts to hide Jean's powers from her, it's easy to imagine Scott wresting control of the team from him, especially if that big twist is going to involve the death of Mystique.

On 12/9/2017 at 7:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

X-Men Producers Explain What Went Wrong With 'Apocalypse'

xmen-apocalypse--1064408-640x320.png

Sounds like they did some deep reflecting on what went wrong after the strong response to X-Men: Days of Future Past. Although it would have been nice to also recognize the missed opportunity with character presentment.

Apocalypse-2-600x327.jpg

I still LOVE the Apocalypse character design.  I generally enjoyed him in his film, but he was just OK and not as good as I was hoping for.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

I don't trust Fox.  They killed it with Logan and Deadpool, but those successes are more attributable to the directors, not anyone at Fox.  And this is Simon Kinberg's very first movie as a director, so who knows.  (shrug)

Yes, David Goyer and the awful Blade Trinity springs to mind.

Collider during one its movie reviews videos had hosts talking through where this could end up.

Jon Schnepp was proposing what if Disney sees the impact these X-Franchise movies have had, and to not slow down the amount of movies that can be produced it creates a separate studio? This way, they can also produce the R-Rated superhero/comic book films without it forcing the MCU films to budge from its successful PG-13 structured films. Yet when they want to produce any crossover films, it would be easy now to insert Deadpool, Cable or Wolverine into anything that seems fitting.

38 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Jon Schnepp was proposing what if Disney sees the impact these X-Franchise movies have had, and to not slow down the amount of movies that can be produced it creates a separate studio? This way, they can also produce the R-Rated superhero/comic book films without it forcing the MCU films to budge from its successful PG-13 structured films. Yet when they want to produce any crossover films, it would be easy now to insert Deadpool, Cable or Wolverine into anything that seems fitting.

Has Disney really never produced ANY R-rated films?  They're that puritanical about their image?

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Has Disney really never produced ANY R-rated films?  They're that puritanical about their image?

They have under the other film divisions (Touchstone Pictures; Buena Vista). Never under the Marvel Studios division, nor Pixar/Walt Disney Animation Studios.

I guess if they wanted to move forward with R-Rated comic book films, they fold these under the MCU, one of the other studios (that wouldn't make sense), or create a separate Fox/comic book division.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess if they wanted to move forward with R-Rated comic book films, they fold these under the MCU, one of the other studios (that wouldn't make sense), or create a separate Fox/comic book division.

Does Marvel still put their adult-oriented content in comic books into the Marvel Knights line?  They could do something similar to or exactly the same as that for films.  I've seen them use that same Marvel Knights branding on their animated films with mature content in the past.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Does Marvel still put their adult-oriented content in comic books into the Marvel Knights line?  They could do something similar to or exactly the same as that for films.  I've seen them use that same Marvel Knights branding on their animated films with mature content in the past.

They put the Knights brand on Punisher: War Zone too (highly underappreciated film imho).  But is the Marvel Knights thing even still around? 

28 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

They put the Knights brand on Punisher: War Zone too (highly underappreciated film imho).

I remember enjoying that film.  But I was biased towards Ray Stevenson, an actor I absolutely LOVED in the HBO series "Rome."

50 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

They put the Knights brand on Punisher: War Zone too (highly underappreciated film imho).  But is the Marvel Knights thing even still around? 

I saw that recently where Punisher" War Zone is listed as a Marvel Entertainment movie.

17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I remember enjoying that film.  But I was biased towards Ray Stevenson, an actor I absolutely LOVED in the HBO series "Rome."

Rome did it for me. Him and his partner in battle/crime.