• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

C'mon Bosco.

It's hard to spin a film that's both critically trashed and that audiences clearly neither asked for nor are clamoring to see.

But hey - at least it's holding better than Shaquille O'Neal's Steel! :foryou:

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

C'mon Bosco.

It's hard to spin a film that's both critically trashed and that audiences clearly neither asked for nor are clamoring to see.

C'mon Gatsby77, we all see paperheart constantly tearing down reports from Mendelson. Unless you put your blinders on once again.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, paperheart said:

Poor Mendelson, WB's Head Fluffer (unofficial title). He must be dying inside; he's had to: acknowledge Lego 2 was a disaster, lowball Shazam production budget to try to spin that as something other than a BO disappointment, admit Godzilla 2 is flopping and stop stroking Pikachu and call it what it is- an expensive breakeven at best proposition.  Pennywise to the rescue.

Box Office: 'Pokemon: Detective Pikachu' Failed To Break The Video Game Movie Curse

On 5/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, paperheart said:

Mendelson has been fluffing this one for months and the first wave of reviews are in on Metacritic and, no surprise, it blows.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, paperheart said:

Mendelson, the Forbes guy that's mathematically challenged, says $400MM, maybe $500MM WW total.  Even conservatively figuring that 2nd weekend drop will be huge and Halloween will crush it in weekend 3, $180MM US + $270MM Int'l + China (which is a wildcard) would seem to suggest that $500MM+ is a lock and $550MM is possible.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:22 PM, paperheart said:

even WB/DC apologist Scott Mendelson is hanging his head in shame

emotion01.gif.78e4780d1ca2786211b83f7a25d6214f.gif

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

C'mon Bosco.

But...is it beating out Kazaam??? hm

Kidding aside, I’m pretty sure a big screen viewing of Shaq, Charles, EJ, and Greg Anthony doing a halftime breakdown of 76ers/Raptors would out earn Dark Phoenix.

27 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Kidding aside, I’m pretty sure a big screen viewing of Shaq, Charles, EJ, and Greg Anthony doing a halftime breakdown of 76ers/Raptors would out earn Dark Phoenix.

Actually, no -- not on a % basis.

While Kazaam was only in theaters for three weeks, it's 2nd weekend drop was only 48.5%, fairing far better than Dark Phoenix's 72.6% drop.

And in hard numbers, in 10 days Dark Phoenix has made $51.8 million, or about 50% of what X-Men: The Last Stand made in just its opening weekend 13 years ago.

Low budget villains.

Horrible ending. 

Some cool displays of raw X-Men power that made me smile. 

Spoiler

Beast out of all people trying to kill Jean- c’mon 

Otherwise, they missed the mark. I now see why it didn’t do well. 

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The guy that has NOT seen Dark Phoenix but hated it in advance is going to post what would be better to watch than this movie? That's like the person that posted about hating Batman v Superman over many posts finally admitting he had never seen the movie but from his Man of Steel experience felt strongly he would hate this one too. (:

In the words of Gatsby...

emotion01.gif.164d8316be4725db38391b8d14818102.gif

:baiting:

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I f——g refuse to believe that film had a 200 million dollar budget...it looked so cheap.

Although the reshoots were done over a short period (weeks)...

‘Dark Phoenix’ Reshoots Changed the Third Act Climax from Outer Space to a Train

...changing an entire third act and having to bring all those actors back to do this had to be extremely expensive. Not even considering influencers that forced such changes, that is the crazy thing that probably drove the cast and crew nuts.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The guy that has NOT seen Dark Phoenix but hated it in advance is going to post what would be better to watch than this movie? That's like the person that posted about hating Batman v Superman over many posts finally admitting he had never seen the movie but from his Man of Steel experience felt strongly he would hate this one too. (:

Have you seen Chuck and Shaq at halftime?  They’re better entertainment than a lot of the chit Hollywood releases.  Saying they’d out earn Dark Phoenix is like calling the sky blue.  :bigsmile: 

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Have you seen Chuck and Shaq at halftime?  They’re better entertainment than a lot of the chit Hollywood releases.  Saying they’d out earn Dark Phoenix is like calling the sky blue.  :bigsmile: 

xD

Okay, you got me on that one.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Someone disliked Man of Steel enough to not see Batman v. Superman?

That's ironic, given that Man of Steel was at least 3x as good as BvS.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Someone disliked Man of Steel enough to not see Batman v. Superman?

That's ironic, given that Man of Steel was at least 3x just as good as BvS.

With a fix - well said!

(:

Saw it this weekend with the missus. We were both underwhelmed, to say the least. I can't say it's a terribly made film; I think its greatest crime is that it's completely inessential, and totally unremarkable. It has no reason to exist. No one wanted this. No one needed this.

Having rewatched most of the X-flicks with the wife over the past few weeks, I was struck by just how much I hated the character arc of J-Law's Mystique. And I don't blame her performance, which is serviceable given the character as written. I think she did what she was asked to do. But Mystique shouldn't be the leader of the X-Men, ferchrissakes. Had Lawrence's star power not exploded after The Hunger Games, I doubt we would have seen this trajectory for the character. Meanwhile, having just watched X2 again Friday night, it really underlined how perfect Rebecca Romijn's incarnation of the character was. She's mean, sexy, and dangerous, an important utility player, but not the focus of the story. Also, while I think Fassbender has been the best thing about the post First Class flicks, McKellan really nails Magneto's smug superiority. Magneto and Mystique are the best thing about the earlier pictures.

If you went back in time and told 12 year old me that I/he'd live to see not one, but TWO cinematic adaptations of "The Dark Phoenix Saga", I doubt I/he'd believe you. If you then told him that they'd also both suck, I/he'd probably kick you in the balls, but appreciate your honesty, I guess.

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Although the reshoots were done over a short period (weeks)...

‘Dark Phoenix’ Reshoots Changed the Third Act Climax from Outer Space to a Train

...changing an entire third act and having to bring all those actors back to do this had to be extremely expensive. Not even considering influencers that forced such changes, that is the crazy thing that probably drove the cast and crew nuts.

Aside from doing reshoots, and rewriting large blocks of the film, I can't imagin thr actors were happy about returning to do this more than 1 year after they thought they were finished. I wonder how much of just, why are we here, why are we still doing this, and lack of enthusiasm rubbed off on the final product.

For the X-Men franchise I loved the first two along with Days of Future Past.

Loved all three Wolverine movies.

I am starting to wonder now that maybe I have always just been a Wolverine fan all this time and really wasn't a X-men fan?

Maybe that`s why the latest X-Men movie bombed at the box office? No Wolverine?

hm