• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, paperheart said:

Huh.

So with weekend actuals in, Dark Phoenix has made just shy of $60.1 million domestic.

John Carter had hit $62.4 million by that same point in its release cycle 7 years ago.

#WorseThanJohnCarter

Guess it gives new meaning to the phrase "it's the bomb."

#lendingGatsbyahand

Thanks, man.

That other thread had turned into two pages of Avatar and I got distracted.

My subconscious must have somehow equated the blue-people-who-can't-act in that film with Mystique.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Thanks, man.

That other thread had turned into two pages of Avatar and I got distracted.

My subconscious must have somehow equated the blue-people-who-can't-act in that film with Mystique.

Production pimps gotta back each others' plays. Them's the Las Vegas rules!

:insane:

X-Men: ‘Dark Phoenix’ Concept Art Reveals ‘Captain Marvel’ Ending For Sophie Turner

Thanks to recently released concept art we now have an idea as to what Sophie Turner’s Captain Marvel-like ending for the X-Men film, Dark Phoenix, would have looked like.

As we all know by now, the latest X-Men film, Dark Pheonix, originally had a much different ending. The original finale was reportedly changed from a setting in space to one that was a bit more grounded. As it had turned out, this was due to similarities that the ending had with Captain Marvel. Thanks to one of the film’s concept artists, however, we now have an idea as to what Sophie Turner would have looked like in Dark Pheonix‘s finale.

The image in question comes from artist Houston Sharp who is credited as a concept artist for Dark Phoenix (Projects include Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984, Xmen, RAMPAGE). The images in question show Sophie Turner in full fire mode flying from the Earth. It sadly doesn’t show us where she is flying to nor give us any context behind the image.

And now the reality of the situation.

Dark Phoenix Already Getting Yanked from Half Its Theaters in 3rd Week

Dark Phoenix is getting pulled from over 1,600 theaters this week. It's about to lose 44% of its screens, which definitely will not help it make some more money in North America. As of this writing, the latest X-Men movie is stalled at just over $60 million domestically with a grand total of over $232 million globally. It had the worst opening in the franchise's history at just over $33 million and it is currently the lowest scoring of the franchise on Rotten Tomatoes.

1,667 theaters will pull Dark Phoenix this week due to sluggish ticket sales. The movie was able to pull the tenth spot at the box office this past weekend after bringing in $3.5 million, but this is after it fell over 70% in its second weekend. As it stands, it looks like the movie will end up losing quite a bit of money when the dust settles. Dark Phoenix was supposed to hit theaters in November of last year and then February of this year, but ended up getting pushed back to June.

There are a few who believe Dark Phoenix may have done better had it been released last year, instead of during the summer blockbuster season and well after Avengers: Endgame. With that being said, the movie has been getting torched by fans and critics, so the release date may have only helped out just a little bit. The Disney and Fox deal more than likely did not help matters either. Since everybody knew this would be the final X-Men movie to feature these actors and characters, they expected more. Director Simon Kinberg took full responsibility for the box office news right after the movie hit theaters.

Edited by Bosco685
Second concept art image

3 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Any chance of this getting an alternate cut released on DVD (ala DOFP: The Rogue cut) with the original 3rd act?

I was wondering that myself. Especially since it was filmed they could use this to recover some of the expenses.

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I’m still bothered I wasted money seeing this POC. This was such an shameful way to put a stake in this pivotal franchise. 

Unfortunately, with those forced Act 3 changes the film didn't get a chance to deliver that space event content more fitting to the story.

X-MEN DARK PHOENIX CONCEPT ART REVEALS CAPTAIN MARVEL ENDING

x-men-dark-phoenix-concept-art-captain-m

As if we needed more evidence that Disney Fox sabotaged the X-Men Dark Phoenix movie, now concept art has hit the net revealing the original ending was going to feature Sophie Turner as the cosmically-powered Phoenix blasting off into space.

Concept artist Houston Shark reveals the stellar concept art for Dark Phoenixon Instagram noting the change: "Jean Grey (@sophiet) Blasting Off into Space. This shot for the final sequence was changed a bit in the released film. More concept art from @darkphoenixmovie2019 toe! #xmen #jeangrey #sophieturner#marvel #fox #phoenix #art#illustration #fire #conceptart."

Regarding the similarity with the Captain Marvel movie, the end of Captain Marvel also saw Brie Larson's Carol Danvers become cosmically-powered and "blast off into space."

The similarities don't end there as Tye Sheridan also recently revealed the X-Men Dark Phoenix movie was going to feature the same villains as the Captain Marvel movie, with the Skrulls.

Fox Studios was also billing Dark Phoenix as the first "Marvel" movie starring a female superhero, but that went to Brie Larson and Captain Marvel when theDark Phoenix release date was changed for the second or third time.

:(

But no worries. Disney is going to 'fix' the X-Men. So it's all good.

hm

On 6/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, zhamlau said:

I’m still bothered I wasted money seeing this POC. This was such an shameful way to put a stake in this pivotal franchise. 

No Wolverine. That would be like watching the Patriots without Tom Brady. You take away the main controversial character and people lose interest, hence why this movie flopped.

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

No Wolverine. That would be like watching the Patriots without Tom Brady. You take away the main controversial character and people lose interest, hence why this movie flopped.

Well, X-Men:First Class did okay without featuring Logan. Eric Magnus took the grumpy anti-hero role and that filled the hole fine. You just have to make a good movie.

I wonder if the right approach to introducing the mutants into the MCU is a piecemeal approach like they did with Avengers. Perhaps First Class had it right by showing us Charles Xavier (w/Raven Darkholme), Eric Magnus, and Logan(for 5 seconds) first. Maybe Feige and Co. should intro Charles Xavier and Logan first. Perhaps Professor X could be a peer of Reed Richards and an older Hank Pym. Perhaps Logan has been there all along in the shadows, crossing paths with Steve Rogers or an Eternal along the way. Maybe Ororo can be introduced as a wayward teenager in a Black Panther movie. Then, perhaps the X-Men or X-People or X-Patriots or whatever can be introduced as a team when we learn Professor X has been teaching a school of outcast mutants disguised as an Ivy League prep school in Upstate New York.

Taking this long form approach would give the MCU the longevity it needs to stay fresh for the next couple of decades. Because even though she is the Captain of Marvel, you can't have Brie Larson be in charge of everything Marvel Cinema forever you know.