• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

I was finally going to rent this today and saw it’s only available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon for $20. Then I realized I had HBOMAX and found it there. Ok, I really want to enjoy this so I’m lowering expectations and going in.

Just finished it. I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I never read the Phoenix storyline in comics though. I understand most of the complaints were based on that comparison. 
Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut is still my favorite X-Men movie.

When I saw this in theaters, I was the only person there. On a Friday night. There second week. Anyway, my franchise rankings.

1. Logan
  2. X-Men 2
  3. X-Men
  4. Deadpool
  5. Day of Future Past
  6. First Class
  7. Deadpool 2
  8. The Last Stand
  9. The Wolverine
  10. X-Men: Apocalypse
  11. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  12. Dark Phoenix

9 hours ago, Grails said:

Just finished it. I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I never read the Phoenix storyline in comics though. I understand most of the complaints were based on that comparison. 
Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut is still my favorite X-Men movie.

Days of Future Past and First Class are so fantastic. No matter the complaints over 'not my X-Men' or whatever.

But with Dark Phoenix, it was good. It could have been great if not for the forced changes removing the Skrulls as the main villain and the space battle near the end. It would have been great to see that two-part story like was planned.

9 minutes ago, Grails said:

I looked into this, and unlike Justice League, Dark Phoenix hadn’t actually filmed all the content cut from the story.

Correct, Disney was in transition and had executives start to review pending film content they had interest in. And that is when the line concerning 'X-Men being an outdated term' made its way into the film which then one of the Executive Producers of the MCU then stated it in an interview. So now you know who the Disney transition executive was on this one.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, with those forced Act 3 changes the film didn't get a chance to deliver that space event content more fitting to the story.

X-MEN DARK PHOENIX CONCEPT ART REVEALS CAPTAIN MARVEL ENDING

x-men-dark-phoenix-concept-art-captain-m

As if we needed more evidence that Disney Fox sabotaged the X-Men Dark Phoenix movie, now concept art has hit the net revealing the original ending was going to feature Sophie Turner as the cosmically-powered Phoenix blasting off into space.

Concept artist Houston Shark reveals the stellar concept art for Dark Phoenixon Instagram noting the change: "Jean Grey (@sophiet) Blasting Off into Space. This shot for the final sequence was changed a bit in the released film. More concept art from @darkphoenixmovie2019 toe! #xmen #jeangrey #sophieturner#marvel #fox #phoenix #art#illustration #fire #conceptart."

Regarding the similarity with the Captain Marvel movie, the end of Captain Marvel also saw Brie Larson's Carol Danvers become cosmically-powered and "blast off into space."

The similarities don't end there as Tye Sheridan also recently revealed the X-Men Dark Phoenix movie was going to feature the same villains as the Captain Marvel movie, with the Skrulls.

Fox Studios was also billing Dark Phoenix as the first "Marvel" movie starring a female superhero, but that went to Brie Larson and Captain Marvel when theDark Phoenix release date was changed for the second or third time.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

The story that started coming out is once Disney was in the running to acquire Fox after outbidding Comcast, it had studio executives shadowing certain films in the works. Dark Phoenix had MCU executives visiting the set, including Victoria Alonso. Which is why people believe the Mystique-Professor X line was inserted in the film about 'WOMEN CARRYING THE TEAM SO DROP X-Men TITLE' was due to comments from Alonso. Plus, since the Skrulls were being used in both films, forcing Fox to drop them from the film.

Those ‘Dark Phoenix’ Villains Were Originally Skrulls, Says Tye Sheridan

9 minutes ago, Grails said:

They cut 10-12 minutes from Days of Future Past for pacing but I now prefer The Rogue Cut as the definitive. It doesn’t drastically change anything but it fleshes out characters better.

I have both and enjoy them equally. But do feel like Rogue should have been in the Theatrical Cut.

Edited by Bosco685

Wow, this film actually seemed doomed from the transition. Marvel looking at it like the adopted child they were about to drop off in the woods so they could give more attention to their real kid. I’ll still take the butchered Dark Phoenix over Captain Marvel. So many good performances. I can actually rewatch Dark Phoenix.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This premiered on TV last Wednesday, so I DVR'd it, and watched it yesterday.

It's much worse than I anticipated. Could be worse than X-Men: Origins.

Not worse than Origins. But reading Bosco’s post above sheds light on why Phoenix didn’t work. We could have had a much better product.

I haven't been able to finish this or Apocalypse. 

The acting is horrible and the plot is completely nonsensical. 

I just have a hard time believing how bored I get within the first 30 mins. There aren't a lot of movies where that happens to me, let alone where I simply must stop watching it. I can't even have it on in the background while I play on my phone

On 9/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, Oddball said:

Not worse than Origins. But reading Bosco’s post above sheds light on why Phoenix didn’t work. We could have had a much better product.

Idk, man. As much as Origins sucked, it had a story that made sense. Dark Phoenix is a certified cluster-f^&*. I don't really care who's fault it is, or why, but the end product is on the same level as Origins for me.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk, man. As much as Origins sucked, it had a story that made sense. Dark Phoenix is a certified cluster-f^&*. I don't really care who's fault it is, or why, but the end product is on the same level as Origins for me.

Yes Origins sucked, but I gotta give it props for the opening scenes of the movie where Logan and Sabertooth are fighting through many different wars in various times.  That was straight up legit.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, media_junkie said:

Yes Origins sucked, but I gotta give it props for the opening scenes of the movie where Logan and Sabertooth are fighting through many different wars in various times.  That was straight up legit.

Amen to that! There was a strong story to be told with that film. And the opening hinted to this. And then the rest followed. :facepalm:

When I ran into Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts at the local airport once I realized who it was I was tempted to mention how much I appreciated his performance. I left it alone.

:eek:

On 9/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, media_junkie said:

So, for me, Origins has specific highs. Origins also has the god-awful 'Deadpool', and those bathroom VFX that look dated in the 80's. The negatives outweigh the positives, but there are positives, one of which is simply Hugh Jackman.

Dark Phoenix doesn't have any highs. Creatures from Signs show up out of nowhere, with no explanation as to what they can do, or why or how. The story centers on a character portrayed by someone who couldn't act in adult film.

I really don't wanna talk about 2 comic book movies that are dog water. McAvoy and Fassbender are probably what put DP above Origins for me.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So, for me, Origins has specific highs. Origins also has the god-awful 'Deadpool', and those bathroom VFX that look dated in the 80's. The negatives outweigh the positives, but there are positives, one of which is simply Hugh Jackman.

Dark Phoenix doesn't have any highs. Creatures from Signs show up out of nowhere, with no explanation as to what they can do, or why or how. The story centers on a character portrayed by someone who couldn't act in adult film.

I really don't wanna talk about 2 comic book movies that are dog water. McAvoy and Fassbender are probably what put DP above Origins for me.

Well, you know who to thank for that due to the forced scripting changes so as to protect the pending MCU film.

How many times did you see Captain Marvel at the theater again? :baiting:

twice.gif.a8ad25ccdcb72eacf2f6a881a8f21bd5.gif

On 9/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well, you know who to thank for that due to the forced scripting changes so as to protect the pending MCU film.

How many times did you see Captain Marvel at the theater again? :baiting:

twice.gif.a8ad25ccdcb72eacf2f6a881a8f21bd5.gif

Exactly; Twice. >:(

I have 2 groups, bro. I saw TLJ twice, too. It wasn't a matter of liking them enough to see them 2 times. >:(

On 2/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, Westy Steve said:

I finally got to see this movie tonight. I have to say, my absolute favorite part was when Jennifer Lawrence’s character died.

You're not wrong, it should have happened about 3 films earlier IMO. Mystique is NOT the centre of the X-Men.