• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Collecting Goals

52 posts in this topic

Gene laughed at my post from the beginning of the year knowing that I bought more than I planned.

After the Jusko pieces I picked up in January I bought a few things  a long the way and but am really going out on a high note picking up a piece I REALLY wanted this week and also picked up another painting I really like by the same artist last month.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:51 PM, batman_fan said:

I hope to buy at least one piece of OA this year. Last year everything I was interested in went for quite a bit more than I was willing to pay. Specific goal would be one of the following

Marvel Silver Age splash, twice up.

Daredevil splash or even panel page from issue 33

Breyfogle Batman or Detective cover

Fantastic Four twice up by Kirby.

Oh yeah, and peace on earth.

I completely struck out. The one silver age splash I was interested in I missed because of my stupid job. Man do I hate that darn job, it spoils everything.  

Looking back on my goals stated back in January, I would say that I didn't do a very good job meeting them.  In fact, until August, I would say that I had my least productive year in the hobby in the last 5 years. That all changed when I bought an entire collection from an estate which essentially refocused my  own collection in a way that was entirely unanticipated. I certainly wont keep everything I bought in that collection, but it has made me think differently about things I already had and about crafting a more focused and meaningful collection overall-and how bad could that be? Then at the very end of the year, a couple of those goals from January (specifically the ones related to getting art from artists I know personally and want better examples from) have gotten a lot closer to reality which is a nice way to end the year.  

6 hours ago, furthur said:

Looking back on my goals stated back in January, I would say that I didn't do a very good job meeting them.  In fact, until August, I would say that I had my least productive year in the hobby in the last 5 years. That all changed when I bought an entire collection from an estate which essentially refocused my  own collection in a way that was entirely unanticipated. I certainly wont keep everything I bought in that collection, but it has made me think differently about things I already had and about crafting a more focused and meaningful collection overall-and how bad could that be? Then at the very end of the year, a couple of those goals from January (specifically the ones related to getting art from artists I know personally and want better examples from) have gotten a lot closer to reality which is a nice way to end the year.  

We're gonna hear about this collection? (I hope so!)

My goals for 2017 were to pick up a nice Mike Allred Madman page and a Sam Kieth page, but that did not happen.

I don't know if this counts as "collecting" goals, but I told myself not to buy anymore con sketches, and if I did, not to spend more than $50 a piece with the exception of Los Bros Hernandez. This is one goal that I met: with the exception of freebies, I paid less than $100 for three con sketches and I bought a pre-done piece of art from Beto and Xaime Hernandez. Generally, I resisted a lot of impulse buying at cons up until the last quarter of the year.

My third goal was not to spend more on art than I did in 2016. Not blowing my money on con sketches allowed me to buy more and expensive art in 2017. But that became a double edge sword: right off the bat in February I bought a $1400 piece, which I funded through a Spring quarter sell-off you may or may not recall, but that blew my budget for the year, which resulted in me spending twice as much on art in 2017 (and still no Allred or Kieth!). I think I may have eaten into my 2018 budget. Talk about fiscal irresponsibility :facepalm:

Edited by Jay Olie Espy
added a comma; forgot a word

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

My goals for 2017 were to pick up a nice Mike Allred Madman page and a Sam Kieth page, but that did not happen.

I don't know if this counts as "collecting" goals, but I told myself not to buy anymore con sketches, and if I did, not to spend more than $50 a piece with the exception of Los Bros Hernandez. This is one goal that I met: with the exception of freebies, I paid less than $100 for three con sketches and I bought a pre-done piece of art from Beto and Xaime Hernandez. Generally, I resisted a lot of impulse buying at cons up until the last quarter of the year.

My third goal was not to spend more on art than I did in 2016. Not blowing my money on con sketches allowed me to buy more and expensive art in 2017. But that became a double edge sword: right off the bat in February I bought a $1400 piece, which I funded through a Spring quarter sell-off you may or may not recall, but that blew my budget for the, which resulted in me spending twice as much on art in 2017 (and still no Allred or Kieth!). I think I may have eaten into my 2018 budget. Talk about fiscal irresponsibility :facepalm:

The story of my OA collecting life right there. It's not that I haven't had enough money to buy one on my want list, but that I spend it on other cool stuff!

Edited by alxjhnsn

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

My CAF

Goals I didn't meet:

My main focus has been Silver Surfer / Ron Lim, but I didn't get any Lim artwork at all this year! Someone help me out, there's only a few days left!

One goal I didn't meet was to get a Kirby page by his 100th birthday this year. Maybe next year before 101!

Goals I met:

I picked up my first Buscema page with Silver Surfer, almost by accident, thanks to CAT. I never thought I'd get one, and the seller lived a few minutes away from me. Crazy!

I also got my first 2 Alan Davis pages simultaneously, one from Excalibur and one from Fantastic Four with Silver Surfer.

Also picked up my first Mark Bagley pages. Somehow, I bought more Bagley than anything this year. 3 DPSes & a splash with the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thanos. Then a Bagley Defenders page with Surfer, Dr. Strange, Namor, & the Hulk.

On a side note, my roof got ripped off by a tornado during hurricane Irma and my house flooded. Thankfully @comix4fun had given me a museum box for free not too long before, which made it much easier to evacuate with my art! (Before that, I just had individual pages in bags & boards, no portfolio, no nothing). Thanks a bunch!

Glad the museum box helped. It wound up helping protect your collection in a way I had not anticipated. Happy that it helped you. 

29 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Glad the museum box helped. It wound up helping protect your collection in a way I had not anticipated. Happy that it helped you. 

Me either! I just looked at our email thread & I got your package 9 days before the hurricane or so.

You know in general hurricane season is coming & a bit before a storm there's some uncertainty, but it didn't even really hit here tho...I didn't see anyone in Ft. Lauderdale with as bad damage (I'm sure there were some other tornados but I was busy, this kind of damage wasn't common - it was mostly trees down & fences knocked over). I don't know anyone who has had as bad damage in my lifetime or my parents living here. We did lose a weak 1970s constructed patio in Wilma in 2005.