• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P Raphael Loh, Captain America MegaCollector

50 posts in this topic

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this post.

The tragic and unexpected loss of Raphael Loh has left both his friends and family heartbroken and deeply sadden.

For those of you whom don't know me, my name is Ben Judkiewicz and I considered Raph to be among my closest friends.

Just over ten years ago I had began my journey into comic book collecting. I was introduced to Raph while attending my very first comic-con. A mutual friend of ours saw me at the show and told me "I've got someone you've got to meet!' And just like that I met Raph and was introduced to the real world of comic-book collecting. Without a second thought Raph took me under his wing, introduced me to "windowed bags", "CGC", "SS" and to these very boards. Over the course of the next couple of years, Raph and I traveled to countless comic-cons together, hunted for our grails, stood in lines for hours at a time and our friendship grew and grew. Without Raph, I would never have known how rich and diverse the comic book world truly was and would never have been exposed to the many opportunities that I was privileged enough to take part in. Nor would I have met any of the other incredible people from this comic community.

Thank you all for your kinds words and generosity in this tragic time.

I will end my post with this picture. When my girlfriend saw it, she said "how come you didn't smile?" and I said "Because Raph always smiles big enough for the both of us"

2015-06-20%2016.12.55_zpskgglbdiu.jpg

I was aware of Raph for years and I feel confident we dealt together at least once in the early days of sketch covers but I cannot remember what it may have been.

A sad loss for us and a tragic loss for his family and close friends who have my deepest condolences.

Hi guys,

I haven't been on the boards for a few years now but have known Raph close to when he began collecting sigs. Like all of us I was completely shocked to hear of his passing and will miss him dearly. I would encourage you to read the posts left by his students on his FB page...I couldn't be more proud of the young man and teacher he had become.

If anyone would like to share their favourite Cap sketches I'm sure Raph is watching.

Will

This is incredibly shocking, tragic news. He was a staple at Fan Expo. He was very personable and friendly in any of my interactions with him, and super-enthusiastic whenever we talked about comics and their creators. I am just stunned and feel very sorry that this happened. RIP.

Hey guys!

It looks like Raphael family has put together a gofundme for the funeral arrangements.

here is a link to anyone interested.

https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-raphael-loh

I didn't know Raphael very well but every time I saw him he was so nice and very talkative. Its a really sad situation and I know a lot of people are going to miss him.

I will be auction off the following Fallen Son sketch covers with all proceeds going to Ralphs family.

Everyone of these covers were done in 2008. 4 of the 5 are ungraded, the Francis Manapul is a CGC 9.8. These were done during the early days of my collecting, and drawn by some of Ralphs favorite artists and fellow Canadians (Keown and Manapul).

Those of you who know me, know I rarely sell any of my Fallen Son sketches. However, without Raphs support in the early days, I wouldnt have the collection I have today.

I will be listing these this weekend, hopefully we can raise some nice $$ for Raphs family.

manapul_zpscyiu1prv.jpg

CabreraFallen_zpsnoncbxrw.jpg

MarzanFallen_zpsbznvbzbt.jpg

KeownFallenHead_zpsqs2w1cqx.jpg

McLeodFallen_zpsbhpa7udb.jpg

Edited by Par2ch