• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pence copies

17 posts in this topic

Is the market still down on these? I know some sellers have pushed them as rarer variants, but I'm not sure if the market has bought into it. My local guy who sells comics on the street had out a vg/fine defenders 28 and a fine rawhide kid 151 at $15 and $7 respectively, which seems to be all they could get on ebay as cents copies, but I see no pence sales. I would think the rawhide kid would have been particularly hard to find in the uk. I don't need another defenders 28, not at fmv, just wondering what the views are today on pence copies.

We all used to hate coming across a pence variant, but I think the tide is turning. I would not be surprised to see these start being appreciated more by the completionist and variant collectors, particularly because they were eschewed for so long. :grin:

If there was a bunch of high grade copies available I would buy them but the problem for me is that you rarely see them so I am reluctant get started. Damn those Britts and their meat hooks messing up all those books.

lol Agreed. Most of my pence copies are VF at best.

High grade pence variants from either Silver or Bronze sell very well, and people definitely chase them, me included

mid to low pence are in similar demand to their cents conuterpart, am not sure people are fussed either way at that level of grade

however, concur on the pence being lower grade generally, but you can find exceptions

I would say a disproportionate number of HG pence are graded

I have loads I'd like to get done but it's such a chore

We all used to hate coming across a pence variant, but I think the tide is turning. I would not be surprised to see these start being appreciated more by the completionist and variant collectors, particularly because they were eschewed for so long. :grin:

Yup. Much like Whitman logo DCs, pence copies were :sick: . I think that definitely is changing.

High grade pence variants from either Silver or Bronze sell very well, and people definitely chase them, me included

mid to low pence are in similar demand to their cents conuterpart, am not sure people are fussed either way at that level of grade

however, concur on the pence being lower grade generally, but you can find exceptions

Seems to me like some of the 4th tier titles should have had really really low distribution in the UK though. Seriously, who on earth was reading Rawhide Kid there in the mid-70s? Wouldn't the ones sold to U.S. military (who might have been reading it) not be pence? The Defenders 28 seemed intriguing because there are no copies for sale or sold on ebay lately, although I would think that Defenders were distributed decently in the UK, particularly that early when I think it was a decent seller overall.

Edited by the blob

I love the pence Bronze Age books, especially with the "All-Colour" bar across the top. You can get keys pretty cheap and be ahead of the curve. They're true 1st printings

They are indeed Lonzilla. I have always been puzzled by US collectors stance on Pence Price Variants. I think everyone knows that they are first printings now. Indeed, some believe they were printed before the Cents copies. You would think that once a collector has completed his or her Cents run, the next logical step would be variants. Collectors go after 30/35 Cent Variants, Mark Jewelers, printing errors usually because they have run out of regular copies to collect. Given how many completists there are nowadays, you would think they would be all over Pence copies.

Whether they do or don't, whether the prices go up or down, Pence Price Variants will always always be cooler than a polar bears proverbial. :cloud9:

I love the pence Bronze Age books, especially with the "All-Colour" bar across the top. You can get keys pretty cheap and be ahead of the curve. They're true 1st printings

Not what we are talking about here though. :grin:

Seems to me like some of the 4th tier titles should have had really really low distribution in the UK though. Seriously, who on earth was reading Rawhide Kid there in the mid-70s? Wouldn't the ones sold to U.S. military (who might have been reading it) not be pence? The Defenders 28 seemed intriguing because there are no copies for sale or sold on ebay lately, although I would think that Defenders were distributed decently in the UK, particularly that early when I think it was a decent seller overall.

Some strange random titles and issues used to pop up on our shores during the 70's. I might have had that Rawhide Kid book at some point - also the late Sgt Fury's issues, the reprints, would occasionally turn up. I'd buy them because there was nothing else to buy.

I'd hazard a guess that those types of titles did arrive in the UK because Marvel UK were not reprinting the stories like they were doing with their main characters.

Yeah I agree with Andrew.

When major titles like ASM and FF weren't sent over the obscure one might have taken their place.

As for Rawhide Kid, only the following issues do not have pence versions: 69 – 74, 89 – 93, 95, 111, so the majority did find their way over here.

Don't think me or my dad ever bought many western titles though.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Mrs Muggins-migration said:

They are indeed Lonzilla. I have always been puzzled by US collectors stance on Pence Price Variants. I think everyone knows that they are first printings now. Indeed, some believe they were printed before the Cents copies. You would think that once a collector has completed his or her Cents run, the next logical step would be variants. Collectors go after 30/35 Cent Variants, Mark Jewelers, printing errors usually because they have run out of regular copies to collect. Given how many completists there are nowadays, you would think they would be all over Pence copies.

Whether they do or don't, whether the prices go up or down, Pence Price Variants will always always be cooler than a polar bears proverbial. :cloud9:

They were printed up first  you always knock out the small  print run first and since the pence copies was only 5 percent or less of the cents copies print run  ,  the printers would get rid of the pence copies first  then switch plates  and then complete  the rest of the run  which was the cents copies . plus many people have pointed out over the years that the best color strike copies are the pence copies because they were indeed printed up first  and this reason  is the biggest  proof of all that they were printed up first at the printing plant back in the day .