• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

There's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly worked on already.

Um....

The book was in the holder below until very recently. Notice the cert number is the same. I have no idea why the grade date comes up as it does, but it's incorrect. I'm not the original owner of the book, but I can tell you that it was in the slab below since 2000 and was only re-holdered within the last month or so. If the book has been worked on, it was prior to 2000. And given that the book does have some minor things that could be flattened, I doubt it has ever been pressed.

32274047461_f10c4feb19_o.jpg

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

Agreed.

Um....

The book was in the holder below until very recently. Notice the cert number is the same. I have no idea why the grade date comes up as it does, but it's incorrect. I'm not the original owner of the book, but I can tell you that it was in the slab below since 2000 and was only re-holdered within the last month or so. If the book has been worked on, it was prior to 2000. And given that the book does have some minor things that could be flattened, I doubt it has ever been pressed.

An attentive eye would have caught that. I did, as posted in silver. :acclaim:

Agreed.

Roy, you absolutely have to be trolling here. In another thread you are slamming me because I postulated the book look pressed. Here, when I say the book looks original, you claim the book was worked on. Since you like emoticons, here are a few for you....

(shrug):mad::sumo::facepalm::makepoint:???:blahblah:

Agreed.

Um....

+1

That's exactly why I thought it was highly unlikely that this book had already been pressed since it was mentioned previously as simply being reholdered into the new clearer case. (thumbs u

Even though CGC likes to give us the false impression that it was also common for books to be pressed in the bad old days before they started up in 2000.

NOT so much, as it really seems like nothing more than a poor excuse by CGC to try to justify what is taking place in today's slabbed marketplace. (tsk)

Agreed.

Um....

+1

That's exactly why I thought it was highly unlikely that this book had already been pressed since it was mentioned previously as simply being reholdered into the new clearer case. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Even though CGC likes to give us the false impression that it was also common for books to be pressed in the bad old days before they started up in 2000.

NOT so much, as it really seems like nothing more than a poor excuse by CGC to try to justify what is taking place in today's slabbed marketplace. (tsk)

In any case I think today's techniques are much more aggressive. I expect this nice book will have a whole new look to it. I would assume it was purchased by a high end dealer, maybe even Clink bought it, and it will not be very long before we see the results.

Agreed.

Roy, you absolutely have to be trolling here. In another thread you are slamming me because I postulated the book look pressed. Here, when I say the book looks original, you claim the book was worked on. Since you like emoticons, here are a few for you....

(shrug):mad::sumo::facepalm::makepoint:???:blahblah:

Bob, I don't troll.

What I should have said was that if the book was not worked on then there is likely nothing that can improve the grade that can be removed that will improve the grade (I count about a half dozen spine stresses, I assume there is some tanning due to PQ and I don't know what else).

When did CGC give you the false impression that pressing was common pre 2000?

Those stories came from long time dealers who said that Greg Buls and Marnin Rosenberg (who both found a Pedigree collection each) were pressing books pre CGC.

:makepoint:

Um....

Is there not a world of difference between "pressing" methodologies/capabilities and skill sets say from 2003/2004ish time vs. 90's ?

I cannot imagine how much pressure would be involved in taking a nearly half million dollar book and trying to press it. Do the guys who press books have insurance against something going wrong? That is a lot of money in one comic book-- pressing at that point seems almost dangerous and the potential for making matters worse seems too risky.

I cannot imagine how much pressure would be involved in taking a nearly half million dollar book and trying to press it. Do the guys who press books have insurance against something going wrong? That is a lot of money in one comic book-- pressing at that point seems almost dangerous and the potential for making matters worse seems too risky.

I recently took proper scans of my copies and it was suggested that one of them looked improvable or could go up by a half grade. That's not a risk I am willing to take and am pleased with what I have since they aren't going anywhere right now.

Um....

Let me rephrase, then - there's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly vetted to see if it had upgrade potential before going up for sale :shrug:

every-time I have tried to press and resubmit I have gotten same grade lower page quality, same grade and page quality or lower grade. My most recent was a ASM #129 9.4 white pages. Got back 9.4 off white to white. I down playing the resubmit game.

Pressing the AF #15 above is Russian roulette.

Edited by Diaolos

Um....

Let me rephrase, then - there's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly vetted to see if it had upgrade potential before going up for sale :shrug:

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean that I looked at the book for upgrade potential while it was still sealed in the holder, then sure, ok.

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean it was sent to CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review, then no, it wasn't thoroughly vetted.

Um....

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean that I looked at the book for upgrade potential while it was still sealed in the holder, then sure, ok.

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean it was sent to CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review, then no, it wasn't thoroughly vetted.

???

Didn't the sale happen through ComicLink?

]

???

Didn't the sale happen through ComicLink?

Yeah that's pretty clear so what are you asking? Did C-Link insist on having it pressed prior to it being sold???