• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why white paint or ink pens should not be used

32 posts in this topic

This is not an isolated instance as I have seen too many of these that have been ruined by a simple press or by simply sitting in the holder. I fear it can cause long term damage based on my statement below.

Todd McFarlane seems to like these white pens, and while they look good when fresh the signature never really dries or sets. In some cases it is disastrous. Not sure about the past pressing history, but in attempting a CPR on this book most of the signature stayed stuck to the inner well. Additionally, since just that spot on the cover was stuck it started causing micro tears around the staples of the book. Had this book been exposed to any shaking, I am confident that the staples would have popped.

2ETCSLzl.jpg

This is great DD from joeypost. Thanks.

I had alerted boardies in the past about the signatures and how they react to pressing and even storage until they get encapsulated, but I have never cracked one out of a slab until now. You see the end result.

So the ink stuck to the slab then smeared right?

ps anyone on twitter can notify Todd?

https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane

I'm pretty sure McFarlane is well aware of this thanks to conversations with Sean at NYComics, who acts as a SS facilitator. From my understanding, McFarlane, much to his own disappointment, no longer uses those sort of paint pens due to the smearing problem. No need to blow up his Twitter.

Maybe silver ink could be an option for him? How well do silver sharpies hold up?

In baseball autos, I never have cared for sharpie sigs. It's what you get now for current stars, but if it's a vintage player, give me a ball point every time.

I think it'd be great if a current player would accomodate a ballpoint request -- but then most sigs are awful. They can't all be Harmon Killebrew.

This is not an isolated instance as I have seen too many of these that have been ruined by a simple press or by simply sitting in the holder. I fear it can cause long term damage based on my statement below.

Todd McFarlane seems to like these white pens, and while they look good when fresh the signature never really dries or sets. In some cases it is disastrous. Not sure about the past pressing history, but in attempting a CPR on this book most of the signature stayed stuck to the inner well. Additionally, since just that spot on the cover was stuck it started causing micro tears around the staples of the book. Had this book been exposed to any shaking, I am confident that the staples would have popped.

2ETCSLzl.jpg

On the plus side, you now have a SS inner well that you can sell as well as the comic.

IMO all signatures are damaging to a book

Yep, I never understood the need.

I think one of the best options is first off, getting a book signed the traditional way, which was always on the inside front first page, not the cover.

I "get it" that the cover has immediate eye appeal to many, and especially today with CGC slabs where you don't get to see the inside of a book, but to many others it's an eyesore.

I also think, maybe instead of autographing in ink, which can fade or bleed, have a signature in pencil which if someone doesn't like it, it can be erased.

I think writing on the cover or inside, whether a signature or a date or price alters a book from it's original format and condition off of the press, so that is a defect in my opinion that keeps it from ever grading a perfect 10