• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book is back from CGC!! PGM Action 101

29 posts in this topic

I'm out on this one, the small crease top rt, flecking bottom and light general wear had me at high fines even with the awesomeness bump.

Agreed, I'd also note what look to be a few small tears at the spine. An attractive midgrade copy. I'd say 6.5

I'm out on this one, the small crease top rt, flecking bottom and light general wear had me at high fines even with the awesomeness bump.

Agreed, I'd also note what look to be a few small tears at the spine. An attractive midgrade copy. I'd say 6.5

Interestingly they are not tears. I am planning on subbing this one so we'll see if the 6.5ers or 7.5ers are correct! Will be sure to post what this one receives.

Restoration includes..."cover cleaned." I thought getting a comic dry cleaned wasn't considered restoration? Unless this is a different type of cleaning? New to the forums, someone please kindly educate me on that.

Follow up question, what traces/ proof does a 'cleaning' leave on a cover that CGC can tell the cleaning has been done?

2 minutes ago, Hat Trick66 said:

Restoration includes..."cover cleaned." I thought getting a comic dry cleaned wasn't considered restoration? Unless this is a different type of cleaning? New to the forums, someone please kindly educate me on that.

Follow up question, what traces/ proof does a 'cleaning' leave on a cover that CGC can tell the cleaning has been done?

I believe that cleaning has been done throughout the years, the only thing that I can think of is there is now an "approved" method, as opposed to a long time ago when there might have been harmful chemicals used.....

Cleaning used to be done with chemicals that still remain on the cover. Often it takes away a lot of the gloss. In terms of value the seals hurt a lot more than the cleaning. Have you checked for past sales of restored copies? It will lower value considerably. A guess without looking at past sales would be 50% 

18 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Cleaning used to be done with chemicals that still remain on the cover. Often it takes away a lot of the gloss. In terms of value the seals hurt a lot more than the cleaning. Have you checked for past sales of restored copies? It will lower value considerably. A guess without looking at past sales would be 50% 

Only see 1 restored sale on 4/17 A-1 for $209 for a 3.5.   The last 6.0 unrestored sold for just north of 1k in 11/16.  So would you think about half the price of the unrestored?

just FYI the cover cleaning was a B-1 the other resto work per notes was A-1.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, Terrapin said:

It's difficult to price restored books. If it's really difficult to find on the market at that grade area then it could be higher. Sometimes you'll get more interest from someone who sees potential to have it professionally restored to a higher grade.

Just wanted to share, had it listed on the boards at $450 for a couple days with no takers.  Then with a 15% reduction still not takers.  Listed on the bay for $550 and it sold within 24hrs at that price.... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302418142436?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649