• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it help to have a reason.

30 posts in this topic

I noticed that when it comes to selling original art by folks on ebay or caf, etc... a lot of times the description will often say something like 'the reason I am selling this art is XYZ, and my loss will be your gain.'

Does reading this kind of disclaimer serve any purpose? Is it used to try and make the buyer feel better about the piece? And does it work in you when you read it (kind of like -there is nothing wrong with this art. If Ididnt need to sell it, i wouldn't).

Or are we art collectors just so heartbroken each time we sell a piece -we got to preface it with this kind of thing to make ourselves feel better?

It's just a tactic to play on people's emotions to get them to bid/buy (on something which they are more than likely asking far more than what they know it is worth). That's all it is and what I see it as, when I read such things. No one cares about your emotions. No one cares about your reasons for selling. All that matters is the price and that you follow good rules of conduct during the transaction (i.e the opposite of what the Donnelley's do). That's it. Playing to people's emotions is a tired tactic and doesn't really work. In fact, I think it more than likely has the reverse affect. 2c

I don't think it has much impact when it's used for an original art listing. If someone is selling it, they are selling it... If I'm selling a laptop, camera, phone, etc I just bought a few months ago, I'll usually include a reason why I'm selling it, so the buyers know why I'm getting rid of it so soon. But, for original art, or comic books, I don't think there's a point to add a reason.

I noticed that when it comes to selling original art by folks on ebay or caf, etc... a lot of times the description will often say something like 'the reason I am selling this art is XYZ, and my loss will be your gain.'

Does reading this kind of disclaimer serve any purpose? Is it used to try and make the buyer feel better about the piece? And does it work in you when you read it (kind of like -there is nothing wrong with this art. If Ididnt need to sell it, i wouldn't).

Or are we art collectors just so heartbroken each time we sell a piece -we got to preface it with this kind of thing to make ourselves feel better?

Yeah, I agree with your last question-statement. It's like an inner monologue to the art akin to, "Sorry, old buddy, if I didn't have to sell you, I wouldn't."

If it is a sales ploy, it's something like, "If I find the money some other way, I'll pull this piece off the market, so act fast."

Lastly, I think we want what we can't have. So even "C-level" pieces that are "NFS" have *some* lure. But once that piece becomes available, that lure goes away. So an opening statement might be an attempt to preserve the collectibility, the desire. Something like, "This is a 'priceless' piece worth keeping forever. I'm not selling it because it's throwaway piece, it's because I have to." 2c

With these kinds of listings, I always bid as much as I can. If a guy needs a new muffler, I want to help out. It doesn't matter if I've ever collected Judge Parker comic strips in the past, I'm there, baby.

If the listing includes the words "one of a kind" or "drawn by fan favorite ---", then the sky is the limit!

I can understand why people may put a few words down regarding stuff they may associate with a personal experience with an artist e.g. if they got a sketch in person or know the artist. The way I see it is that if you have folders full of sketches and you want to prune your collection, then selling online can seem cold if you have fond memories of the convention, event, etc... or say if it was a freebie.

With these kinds of listings, I always bid as much as I can. If a guy needs a new muffler, I want to help out. It doesn't matter if I've ever collected Judge Parker comic strips in the past, I'm there, baby.

If the listing includes the words "one of a kind" or "drawn by fan favorite ---", then the sky is the limit!

And I bid twice as much if the seller threatens to put his piece "back in the vault" if no one is interested in paying his price. It's pretty much impossible to get a piece of art you want out of a vault!

And I bid twice as much if the seller threatens to put his piece "back in the vault" if no one is interested in paying his price. It's pretty much impossible to get a piece of art you want out of a vault!

Nice one Lee :)

That's it!! All my art is back in the vault for you!!

There used to be something I called the "Adam Hughes Curse". That is, when Adam used to charge a small fraction of FMV for his sketches (say $100 or even later $200), invariably a good number of them would end up on eBay. All with a sob story. Car needed repairs. Water heater went out. Stubbed big toe. You name it. There would always be a story to explain why the sketch was getting resold so soon.

It was as if the good luck of getting the sketch would immediately be followed by bad luck with emergencies. If the stories were to be believed.

Oddly enough, now that Adam charges closer to FMV, the Curse seems to have been lifted. Go figure.

In general, I pay no attention to the story. Not from the seller, but also not from the buyer who wants to tell me how much the art means to him, that he's been looking for it all his life, that it's perfect for his collection, ad nauseum. All I care about is the number. The rest is just noise.

lol Exactly!!!

Another one I like is when sellers say they want their art to "go to a good home". Now, I believe SOME of them do want that. But for others, what does "good home" even mean? Let's say "good home" means a collector who clearly specializes in a particular artist/title/character and who keeps long-term. I believe that for most of these sellers who trot out the "good home" line, if it's between an actual "good home" and a not-so-good home, and the not-so-good home is willing to pay $1 more...then all that "good home" talk is quickly forgotten.

Did I mention that this hobby can make one a cynic?

All of them needed a sob story because they needed to stay in good graces with the mob mentality of the yahoo list. If they didn't have some story, there would be lots of unwanted emails from the yahoo list who curse them for flipping, taking advantage of the artist, and how they are hurting their own chances of getting on the sketch list. It definitely was not a fair way how certain people always got on the sketch list which created a tightly controlled market. The average person had no other way except for ebay to seek out his sketches unless they want to buy a ticket, wait in line for a few days with other collectors before the con opened, fight their way to his table, wait for him to arrive, get on the list and pay money.

He charges fair market value now to make it fair for everyone, but it did take some of those flippers to establish that fair market value.

The only things I want a seller to tell me about a piece is:

1. Is it published?

2. Issue # and Page #

3. Penciller/Inker

4. Is it all original pencils and inks? Blue lines? Digital? Light boxed? Stats? etc.

5. Asking price (unless it's an auction)

6. Cost of shipping

7. I there's a signature, and if so whose is it?

If there is some special significance, or an interesting story about the piece, that may add some color to it. But, your motivation for selling it is not my concern, unless you are trying to unload hot merchandise.

Occasionally, there are a few things I need cleared up by the seller. in one case, the piece of was the original of a published cover, that deviated slightly from the actual published cover. I asked why, and they explained that cover was digitally altered in production to accommodate the title. (It wasn't just laid on top, Part of the underlying drawing was removed). This info came from the artist directly, supposedly.

I didn't end up buying it, but it was an interesting piece of information that may help me down the road on some other modern cover.

It doesn't bother me if they want to list an explanation... One time someone listed something on the boards because they really needed cash for something. The item never sold but I saw his CAF, made an offer on another piece and was able to secure it. I am glad I read his excuse. He got the cash he needed and I got a piece I wanted.

In general, I pay no attention to the story. Not from the seller, but also not from the buyer who wants to tell me how much the art means to him, that he's been looking for it all his life, that it's perfect for his collection, ad nauseum. All I care about is the number. The rest is just noise.

I listened once... and the guy still owns the art. I think he has had it for 4 years or so.

I listened once... and the guy still owns the art. I think he has had it for 4 years or so.

Claudio, you have a couple of pieces that would be perfect for my collection. Try not to be so stingy and open the vault for a fellow collector. :foryou::baiting: