• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #25 1:1000 Variant
1 1

138 posts in this topic

I would not bother to try to obtain a 1:1,000 variant, but I am curious about the $9.99 price tag mentioned for Amazing Spider-Man 25. I checked the websites for both Midtown Comics and Mile High Comics and they are both listing it as $3.99. I think that might have been misread, possible Marvel was charging store owners $9.99 specifically for the 1:1,000 variant (which would ridiculous since they should get that free considering they ordered 1,000 of the regular cover to sell at the $3.99 price), or possibly misread another way.

I would not bother to try to obtain a 1:1,000 variant, but I am curious about the $9.99 price tag mentioned for Amazing Spider-Man 25. I checked the websites for both Midtown Comics and Mile High Comics and they are both listing it as $3.99. I think that might have been misread, possible Marvel was charging store owners $9.99 specifically for the 1:1,000 variant (which would ridiculous since they should get that free considering they ordered 1,000 of the regular cover to sell at the $3.99 price), or possibly misread another way.

Nope. Directly from diamond...

Product Update (1/5/2017): Will be $9.99 and 88 pages, as solicited in Marvel Previews #18, not $3.99 and 32 pages, as listed in the PREVIEWS Order Form

It's 88 pages same as the DC Rebirth Holiday Special so price tag is understandable. DCBS has it listed for $9.99 (minus standard 40% discount).

That said, there's a discrepancy between Marvel Previews catalog and the Previews Customer Order Form (COF). Marvel Previews shows $9.99 while Previews COF shows $3.99. Previews website also shows $9.99. Given the number of pages and typical pricing for most issues being $3.99, I'm guessing whoever prepared the Previews COF made a typo and accidentally put in the regular price of $3.99 instead of special pricing of $9.99.

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

Marvel is not interested in what you have already purchased. To them that is dollars that they have already received. They are also not interested in you buying back issues. To them that is someone else receiving money for books that they have already been paid for once.

Marvel is looking to see people spend more money in the future. To them this makes sense.

if people are grossly over paying for variants in the secondary market, absolutely no reason why the primary market isnt going to follow suit and keep pushing the envelope.

The speculators are the cause of such things getting created, but in a way they are also leading to their own downfall. The market cannot sustain indefinite growth in prices simply on the back of artificial rarity. Eventually limits will be reached.

Marvel is not interested in what you have already purchased. To them that is dollars that they have already received. They are also not interested in you buying back issues. To them that is someone else receiving money for books that they have already been paid for once.

Marvel is looking to see people spend more money in the future. To them this makes sense.

This. I'm sure both DC and Marvel would love it if more people switched to digital. No Diamond, no printing costs and no secondary market. Dunno how happy they'll be if Amazon/comiXology becomes primary distributor, though. Amazon's pretty ruthless.

Edited by aerischan

1:1000 vs 1/1 (one of a kind)... just forgo the comic book if you're just buying it for the variant cover, and buy the original art of the cover, it's a better investment and not subject to CGC 9.8 vs 9.6 vs 7.0 grading on conditions.

Sure, a J. Scott Campbell cover will set you back $15k and same with most other artists, or an Alex Ross, maybe $25k, but at the end of the day it's a more sustainable investment.

For comic book only completest collectors I think at one point you have to come to grips with the fact you can't/won't and more importantly, shouldn't try to own everything, it'll either drive you crazy or into the poorhouse since the marketing machines of the publishers are out to rape you.

Sigh. This might be the issue where I draw the line on variants. Unless the cover is amazing, I mean, it would have to be, WOW! that is the greatest cover of all time. But I just don't see it. Buying the OA to a 1:1000 could be even worse if the art isn't that great and price is run up due to the hype.

The question I have is how many stores are going to be buying enough to qualify? Ive read on here a few collectors may have some deals to pay a portion of the 1000 book requirement but realistically, how many copies of this variant will actually see the light of day?

And how many is Marvel printing and possibly holding back? Does the same argument as the dell otto 667 apply here? If only 15 stores qualify for the variant, does only 15 copies get produced? Or will marvel print the standard minimum and redistribute them later somehow?

I don't see any good coming of this for both marvel and collectors.

Right, let me check my couch cushions for that $25k.

I keep $25k in my back pocket just in case

h3603d01a_zpsoq6jwmnr.jpg

Sigh. This might be the issue where I draw the line on variants. Unless the cover is amazing, I mean, it would have to be, WOW! that is the greatest cover of all time. But I just don't see it. Buying the OA to a 1:1000 could be even worse if the art isn't that great and price is run up due to the hype.

The question I have is how many stores are going to be buying enough to qualify? Ive read on here a few collectors may have some deals to pay a portion of the 1000 book requirement but realistically, how many copies of this variant will actually see the light of day?

And how many is Marvel printing and possibly holding back? Does the same argument as the dell otto 667 apply here? If only 15 stores qualify for the variant, does only 15 copies get produced? Or will marvel print the standard minimum and redistribute them later somehow?

I don't see any good coming of this for both marvel and collectors.

Marvel has people talking about the book.

They've already won.

I personally will find this book hard to resist if the cover looks great and it is legitimately hard to find. That usually takes 6-12 months to truly be known, but the sound of a 1:1000 ASM is like catnip to this collector. With the title at about 63k last month, unless retailers significantly bump orders across the board, this thing is going to be insane.

As for how much Marvel might produce regardless of how many are actually ordered, my understanding is they never print less than one case pack no matter what. With the seeming thickness of this book, a case pack could be as little as 150.

As for this book or the idea behind it seeming punitive, or an example of an epidemic of "evil" in the hobby, I must dissent.

If anything, the rampant herd-like speculation on even the weakest of rumours of some fifth-tier character or book appearing or being "optioned" in the alternative media is a far greater threat to the long term health and stability in the market than once-in-a-blue-moon books such as this. 2c

-J.

As for this book or the idea behind it seeming punitive, or an epidemic of evil in the hobby, I must dissent.

If anything, the rampant herd-like speculation on even the weakest of rumours of some fifth-tier character or book appearing or being "optioned" in the alternative media is a far greater threat to the long term health and stability in the market than once-in-a-blue-moon books such as this. 2c

Your definition of once-in-a-blue-moon seems to be more frequent than mine. :D

I have a few posts buried back in this thread, I didn't really get what I considered 'answers' to my points around the fact that ratio variants are, by definition, not for everyone. A one in a thousand is just more so.

This is another of those rare instances where I agree with Jaydog - the vast majority of ASM readers will have zero clue this book exists, and more to the point, they won't give a . A handful of people are mad about it, but I'll make a complete and total guess that says more people are planning on attempting to get a copy than are planning on dumping their OCD variant buying ways 2c

I have a few posts buried back in this thread, I didn't really get what I considered 'answers' to my points around the fact that ratio variants are, by definition, not for everyone. A one in a thousand is just more so.

This is another of those rare instances where I agree with Jaydog - the vast majority of ASM readers will have zero clue this book exists, and more to the point, they won't give a . A handful of people are mad about it, but I'll make a complete and total guess that says more people are planning on attempting to get a copy than are planning on dumping their OCD variant buying ways 2c

I think that will depend on the asking price. Very, very few modern collectors can afford a single $1000 comic, let alone a $5000 or $10000 comic. Otherwise some of those other books we like to argue about would be worth a lot more than they are.

Will this be the highest priced modern variant right out of the gate? It is looking more and more like it will be.

I think that will depend on the asking price. Very, very few modern collectors can afford a single $1000 comic, let alone a $5000 or $10000 comic. Otherwise some of those other books we like to argue about would be worth a lot more than they are.

Will this be the highest priced modern variant right out of the gate? It is looking more and more like it will be.

Agreed, not many can afford it but that doesn't matter.

As I posted a couple pages back, Midtown isn't having a hard time selling them at inflated prices. Look at the Venom 1:1000. Consistently selling at $1,500.

It depends on what you call winning. Because of this book I decided to follow some advice over here: quit collecting moderns, focus on the few pre-700 books I am missing, lose all I have on Superior Spider-man and the subsequent ASM titles and possibly start collecting IH102-346.

It depends on what you call winning. Because of this book I decided to follow some advice over here: quit collecting moderns, focus on the few pre-700 books I am missing, lose all I have on Superior Spider-man and the subsequent ASM titles and possibly start collecting IH102-346.

Got any of those Superior variants? :baiting: