• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #25 1:1000 Variant
1 1

138 posts in this topic

I guess I could start an asm 1-700 run, all the hard ones to find are done hm

Jerome

lol

Get those super rare newsstands in the 500-600's, those are harder than the real variants.

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

I started off like you, trying to get a near complete collection with all the editions and variants, then when I saw how many variants there was for the reboot of ASM, I decided to just get the regular covers of every issue. Then, I decided to just stop at 700 because of all the reboots Marvel had started. Then the recent clone conspiracy storyline reminded me of the dumb sins past storyline and decided to stop at 500 instead, to avoid that. And now, I just stopped trying to complete a run to 500 because I wanted to downsize from having so many boxes. So if you head down this route that I took, it actually feels like a big relief trying not to get everything ASM.

I don't know if this is Marvel's intention, but it helped me save more money :D

I made it from ASM 201 to 700 with quite a few variants that I thought mattered. Then when ASM volume 3 started I tried to collect all of those variants but then I noticed that they just keep rebooting ASM back to "number one". To be honest that's when I said screw it and decided to focus on finishing up my early ASM issues with high grades.

I have a few posts buried back in this thread, I didn't really get what I considered 'answers' to my points around the fact that ratio variants are, by definition, not for everyone. A one in a thousand is just more so.

This is another of those rare instances where I agree with Jaydog - the vast majority of ASM readers will have zero clue this book exists, and more to the point, they won't give a . A handful of people are mad about it, but I'll make a complete and total guess that says more people are planning on attempting to get a copy than are planning on dumping their OCD variant buying ways 2c

I think that will depend on the asking price. Very, very few modern collectors can afford a single $1000 comic, let alone a $5000 or $10000 comic. Otherwise some of those other books we like to argue about would be worth a lot more than they are.

Will this be the highest priced modern variant right out of the gate? It is looking more and more like it will be.

Agreed, not many can afford it but that doesn't matter.

As I posted a couple pages back, Midtown isn't having a hard time selling them at inflated prices. Look at the Venom 1:1000. Consistently selling at $1,500.

Is $1,500 for a 1:1000 inflated though? I thought DCBS sold their 1:1000 for more and those were on the Dynamite Gold Key titles which are less in demand.

The C-3PO 1:1000 went for about that much initially and all that had was a different colored cover.

Agreed, not many can afford it but that doesn't matter.

As I posted a couple pages back, Midtown isn't having a hard time selling them at inflated prices. Look at the Venom 1:1000. Consistently selling at $1,500.

Is $1,500 for a 1:1000 inflated though? I thought DCBS sold their 1:1000 for more and those were on the Dynamite Gold Key titles which are less in demand.

The C-3PO 1:1000 went for about that much initially and all that had was a different colored cover.

IMO it is. Incentive variant pricing has changed at the online retailers in recent years, but I still hear a lot of LCS's charging the same prices. Meaning a 1:25 about $12, 1:50 about $22, etc... about half of the issue incentive.

Midtown and DCBS started inflating the prices, probably when they started getting really burned on not being able to sell the regular issues.

Venom 1:1000 is the only one from last year that is selling at the same price or better as release.

Edited by ygogolak

forgive my ignorance (and my laziness to back track this thread) BUT....

what's the importance of ASM #25?? is it a first appearance of a character that's going to be the next "superman" or "batman" or "spiderman"

OR is it just because it's number 25 that Marvel is doing a 1:1000 variants??

forgive my ignorance (and my laziness to back track this thread) BUT....

what's the importance of ASM #25?? is it a first appearance of a character that's going to be the next "superman" or "batman" or "spiderman"

OR is it just because it's number 25 that Marvel is doing a 1:1000 variants??

The reason is:

because they can....