• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Sons variant covers

97 posts in this topic

I have a few copies of this one already. If you guys may be in the market, let me know. My LCS sometimes over ordered the first few months of Rebirth and I'd have no problem grabbing their extras if you want. They've only recently (past 2-3 weeks or so) scaled back their orders for books and the variant covers. 

1 hour ago, MDR123 said:

I have a few copies of this one already. If you guys may be in the market, let me know. My LCS sometimes over ordered the first few months of Rebirth and I'd have no problem grabbing their extras if you want. They've only recently (past 2-3 weeks or so) scaled back their orders for books and the variant covers. 

Which covers MDR? The first print or the second? I assume you're talking #10?

I can check what they have tomorrow. I think they have both 1st and 2nd prints (if still available). I was looking for the Gary Frank Action variants and they told me they are scaling back the orders fro their Cover B schedules due to sales, even though DC is still pumping them out. This place has a healthy back issue stash so if there are any others besides #10, let me know. 

2 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Damnitt again..threw out a cheap bid and won...ughhhh

Lol, at least it's not the $10+ retailer exclusive variants (not including shipping). I used up a significant chunk of my comic budget on the Super Sons variants. :D 

Thank goodness I just dropped a ton of Marvel titles (and had some that Marvel cancelled). :p 

15 minutes ago, IndyKMB said:

Just received my ECCC Foil variant a couple of days ago.  Makes a beautiful centerpiece to my SS stash as well!

That's awesome! Congrats. (thumbsu

I've requested Dre to try to have mine 9.8 pre-screened so it'll be a while before I get mine. Really hoping it makes the grade. :wishluck:

Good luck.  I know you know that's a tough get, so that should have a premium for sure if you can land one.

I think the only 9.8 I wound up with from last year's foils was Wonder Woman (currently en rote to CGC).  Superman is a possibility as well.  This SuperSons Foil is a beauty but the spine dings I'm seeing make me think a press won't help it much.  It's not outrageous (I'm a tough critic, admittedly) but with the foil being so thin I always worry a press could do more harm than good.

59 minutes ago, IndyKMB said:

Good luck.  I know you know that's a tough get, so that should have a premium for sure if you can land one.

I think the only 9.8 I wound up with from last year's foils was Wonder Woman (currently en rote to CGC).  Superman is a possibility as well.  This SuperSons Foil is a beauty but the spine dings I'm seeing make me think a press won't help it much.  It's not outrageous (I'm a tough critic, admittedly) but with the foil being so thin I always worry a press could do more harm than good.

The copies are borderline (some lift on the bottom). I have some titles on 9.8 sub with Dre so he's just gonna send the foils along with the regular subs. It's pre-screened 9.8 and Dre will only charge me if it passes. :) 

No pressing. I'm a little concerned that might damage the foil, too. This is going to be for the PC. Sorta the centerpiece of the bunch (at least until I can get a Cover A double signed by Peter J. Tomasi and Jorge Jimenez). :bigsmile:

Congrats!  at a quick glance, how does it look?  Grade-able??

Either way these foils are awesome, and this on really stands out with the more colorful background.

Edited by IndyKMB

23 minutes ago, IndyKMB said:

Congrats!  at a quick glance, how does it look?  Grade-able??

Either way these foils are awesome, and this on really stands out with the more colorful background.

It has a ding by my thumb that you cant see in the pic. I knew that ahead of time and the price reflected it as such. I just wanted/liked the cover so it was worth it

10 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

It has a ding by my thumb that you cant see in the pic. I knew that ahead of time and the price reflected it as such. I just wanted/liked the cover so it was worth it

Even though they were polybagged and boarded from the get go, these books were a bear to

find without some dings.  I tested the patience of the fine folks in the Graphitti booth searching

for some decent spines!

I have 4 of the ECCC going off in my next batch of books to be graded. Fingers crossed.

I'm not keeping all of the SS variants I'm getting. Just the 1/1000 Frank Quitely Mxy/Batmite and one ECCC as a display pair. Probably getting a Gweedo frame.

You want a modern that's a beast to get graded, take a look at the Lootcrate Action #1. Most got damaged in shipping per eBay. Thin cover stock. 64 pages, saddle stitched. Newsprint interior stock. There are two 9.6s. Everything else is lower. And it just came out in January. Any handling or improper storage and all the pressing in the world won't get a 9.0!

As a sidebar on the Gweedo frames, he's the only one I know who does UV glass but he doesn't do multi frames in the new holder size yet. Probably get the double sized old style frame and go to Home Depot for a custom cut 1/16" or so backing if the new frames are loose. (The old Giant Size holders are 5/8" and the new holders are typically 9/16". Pretty close. So I figure they'll either fit or fit with a backing board that's slightly under 1/16".)

I have to imagine some of you collecting SS variants are wanting to display some graded ones. Be curious to hear about your display setups.

18 hours ago, PatrickG said:

I have to imagine some of you collecting SS variants are wanting to display some graded ones. Be curious to hear about your display setups.

I will end up getting mine signed by the appropriate artists.  Jimenez, Gleason, Mattina, EBAS, Adolfo etc.....but that will take time, money and a little luck.

The Franceso Mattina cover was sent off to a facilitator to get sent over to Italy so we'll see if that happens...fingers crossed