• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Sons variant covers

97 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, Dwitkin82 said:

I will end up getting mine signed by the appropriate artists.  Jimenez, Gleason, Mattina, EBAS, Adolfo etc.....but that will take time, money and a little luck.

The Franceso Mattina cover was sent off to a facilitator to get sent over to Italy so we'll see if that happens...fingers crossed

Do you know where Jimenez is showing up any time soon? 

I've done a fair amount of looking into the other Wal-Mart editions.

Here is what I expect:

The art will be the Joker classroom cover. No Ivy or Catwoman. Kirkham cover. This is the 4th Kirkham variant we haven't seen yet. 

The Super-Sons logo will not be on the book. The Batman series logo WILL.

At the top, above Rebirth, and in the inside indica, it will read "Batman: Super Sons" and "Batman: Super Sons #1". Listed publishing date will probably be June 2017.

It will slab as "Reprints Super Sons #1. Available at Wal-mart in a multipack."

6 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Here is what I expect:

The art will be the Joker classroom cover. No Ivy or Catwoman. Kirkham cover. This is the 4th Kirkham variant we haven't seen yet. 

At the top, above Rebirth, and in the inside indica, it will read "Batman: Super Sons" and "Batman: Super Sons #1". Listed publishing date will probably be June 2017.

Sold

1 hour ago, PatrickG said:

Here is what I expect:

Doubtful. The Joker classroom Kirkham variant was a Salt Lake Comic Con exclusive (iirc, 1K print run).

https://unknowncomicbooks.com/products/super-sons-1-detention-unknown-comic-books-con-exclusive-joker-only

More likely, the Walmart variant will just use the Jorge Jimenez cover with Batman trade dress.

46 minutes ago, aerischan said:

Doubtful. The Joker classroom Kirkham variant was a Salt Lake Comic Con exclusive (iirc, 1K print run).

https://unknowncomicbooks.com/products/super-sons-1-detention-unknown-comic-books-con-exclusive-joker-only

More likely, the Walmart variant will just use the Jorge Jimenez cover with Batman trade dress.

I must have missed that. Yeah. The Batman trade dress seems likely based on how Trinity was handled though. They have occasionally used variants but I'd be surprised if they used that one.

That said, I FULLY expect German and Mexican editions to use the rarest cover art they can get their hands on. DC Mexico ran that Adam Hughes Legion Supergirl cover a few months ago for a New 52 issue. Panini (I think?) used the DRS Superman/Batman cover and RRP Hush cover. The foreign licensees/offices know they can get more sales by using the rarer variants, attracting US buyers into their markets.

I THINK the Walmart editions are handled by the custom comics editor internally at DC. Maybe Jim Chadwick's group of editors? Alex Antone, probably. I doubt the book's credits reflect that though. If it was handled by a licensee/franchisee/foreign office, they'd almost certainly copy the rarest and most expensive variant. If it's someone at DC proper, they'd definitely try to respect the exclusivity.

1 hour ago, PatrickG said:

I must have missed that. Yeah. The Batman trade dress seems likely based on how Trinity was handled though. They have occasionally used variants but I'd be surprised if they used that one.

That said, I FULLY expect German and Mexican editions to use the rarest cover art they can get their hands on. DC Mexico ran that Adam Hughes Legion Supergirl cover a few months ago for a New 52 issue. Panini (I think?) used the DRS Superman/Batman cover and RRP Hush cover. The foreign licensees/offices know they can get more sales by using the rarer variants, attracting US buyers into their markets.

I THINK the Walmart editions are handled by the custom comics editor internally at DC. Maybe Jim Chadwick's group of editors? Alex Antone, probably. I doubt the book's credits reflect that though. If it was handled by a licensee/franchisee/foreign office, they'd almost certainly copy the rarest and most expensive variant. If it's someone at DC proper, they'd definitely try to respect the exclusivity.

Was Panini the one who did foils on other DC Rebirth titles? I seem to recall seeing DC Rebirth international foil variants. Do licensees even have access to artwork for retailer exclusive variants? I'm sure allowing the artwork to be reused will anger retailers so I would think licensees would be forbidden from using those. The international variants I've seen thus far were either ratio or RRP.

Edited by aerischan

5 minutes ago, aerischan said:

Was Panini the one who did foils on other DC Rebirth titles? I seem to recall seeing DC Rebirth international foil variants. Do licensees even have access to artwork for retailer exclusive variants? I'm sure allowing the artwork to be reused will anger retailers so I would think licensees would be forbidden from using those. The international variants I've seen thus far were either ratio or RRP.

I'm not sure how the retailer custom cover process works. Probably not, I'd guess, if retailers are smart going in. Though ratio stuff including Marvel's 1:1000, almost certainly yes.

My new kick lately is collecting keys reprinted by the international offices. I've got a couple of 9.8 All-Star Comics #3s and a 9.8 Detective #27 -- with covers in English, untranslated. Generally, they do translate/localize the covers but they generally have pretty complete access to archival stuff, including stuff that's never seen the light of day like restorations on books D.C. or Marvel haven't reprinted but started work restoring. The new Mexican Action #1 uses new colors from the USPS edition from the 90s (so does the Loot Crate one). So I'm guessing there's a pretty deep archive D.C. and Marvel maintain and share with localizers.

10 hours ago, aerischan said:

Sold as well

1 hour ago, MDR123 said:

Is there a reason why it would have the Batman indica rather than the Super Sons title? Or just purely, Batman sells, put it on everything! 

Trinity used Batman indica and should slab as Batman: Trinity #1. I think Harley Quinn indica has been slapped on other stuff.

Flash #9 was reprinted as Kid Flash of Two Worlds #1 with a trade dress that would make you think it's Flash #1.

That presents another possibility:

They might release Superman #10 as Batman: Super Sons #1 or Superman: Super Sons #1.

It's always the start of an arc and usually contorted around to be both presented as a #1 (even if there will never be a #2) and presented as part of a brand with broad audience recognition. Also: the random books inside seem to be newsstand returns.

Edited by PatrickG

Friendly bump for anyone still into these.....I was able to score the Super Son's #1 Diamond retailer variant (White background) from my local con yesterday for $5!

Couldn't pull the money out faster enough considering what there were going for....Anyone hear anything more on Walmart?