• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ones that slipped away...

33 posts in this topic

I can't say I take comics seriously enough to be very bothered by any regrets, at least not compared to regrets about other life choices, but one book does come to mind. Back in 2012 the 6.0 Diamond Run copy of Tec 36 was on the block in a ComicConnect auction, and I didn't go after it. It would have been a massive purchase for me, but I could have gone higher than the winning bid. Those early Tecs have now climbed out of reach for me in anything but beater grades.

Good Lord! That is wild. Must have been exhilarating purchasing them in that fashion.

By the way the USA #14 in your sig line is awesome! :gossip: never seen that book before.

USA #14 is one of my all time favorite covers. :cloud9:

The 8.0 Pennsylvania copy of USA 14 is another one I wish I'd gone after in a CConnect auction. I could not have outbid the actual buyer (board member sartre) if he really wanted it, though, so most likely I would have just ended up bidding him up. (The book has since been re-slabbed as a 9.0.)

Good Lord! That is wild. Must have been exhilarating purchasing them in that fashion.

By the way the USA #14 in your sig line is awesome! :gossip: never seen that book before.

The 8.0 Pennsylvania copy of USA 14 is another one I wish I'd gone after in a CConnect auction. I could not have outbid the actual buyer (board member sartre) if he really wanted it, though, so most likely I would have just ended up bidding him up. (The book has since been re-slabbed as a 9.0.)

same here. That is actually why i grabbed this one. i did bid on the penn copy but obviously not enough. i kick myself but then i remember who i was bidding against: sarte. at least it went to a good home. :)

Although not GA related, but still seems appropriate here with respect to the subject matter. This post was written a couple of days ago and is taken from another thread in CG:

Since I haven't really sold much of anything from my collection so far, I guess it's really more of offers to buy which were presented to me that I never ended up pulling the trigger on.

My biggest and most classic one being an uber HG set of Spidey's 2 through 10 for the huge sum of $1K back in the latter part of the 80's. This was right at the bottom of the SA market and just before they started to take off like a rocket ship which is still going on 20 years later. doh!

Of course, I had a good reason for passing on the offer which I had a full 2 weeks to think about. It was missing an issue #1 and I figured it would have forced me to over pay to pick up an issue #1 just to complete the run. doh!:screwy:

same here. That is actually why i grabbed this one. i did bid on the penn copy but obviously not enough. i kick myself but then i remember who i was bidding against: sarte. at least it went to a good home. :)

Agreed. Steve's one of the good guys. I never mind losing out on a book to another collector. What bugs me is when I don't go after a book and then I see it listed for sale the day after the auction for twice the price.

Agreed. Steve's one of the good guys. I never mind losing out on a book to another collector. What bugs me is when I don't go after a book and then I see it listed for sale the day after the auction for twice the price.

:mad:

The ones that got away ....

I could have bought a nice batman 3 and 4 from an antique store in the '80's for around $400/pair. Didn't collect batman.

Coverless tos 39 for $50 back in the '80's from my LCS

But the real miss for me was part of my best acquisition.

I missed out on a long box of tales of suspense 39-99 and tales to astonish 27,35-101 plus a bit more for $500.

A little local auction mishap as I thought I'd won it. ? Thankfully the online winner didn't grab the other box with xmen 1-up for $500 too....

In one summer I purchased over $10,000 in boxes of comics on a weekly basis from books brought in from estate.

Picked up my first AF 15 and ASM 1-up in a long box for $500 too...was a great summer but losing that TOS box was so sad. All in all I picked up most the SA keys and early runs for an average of $3/book.

Sold enough to pay myself back and kept some really nice books in the collection.

2017 has been rough so far, missed out on a Dynamic Comics 8 and Hangman Comics 3 on Heritage two weeks ago and missed a Cap 46 on Superworlds site. Last year I missed out on a Pep 34 on ebay, solid VG copy.

What was the grade and price on the Cap46 please?

2017 has been rough so far, missed out on a Dynamic Comics 8 and Hangman Comics 3 on Heritage two weeks ago and missed a Cap 46 on Superworlds site. Last year I missed out on a Pep 34 on ebay, solid VG copy.

What was the grade and price on the Cap46 please?

Ted had it at a VG for $5600.

In 1983, an elderly farmer walked into a comic book store I frequented. He had a paper grocery bag full of books. The owner made the deal, the farmer left. The owner called me over.

"Look in the bag".

I knew this was going to be tough.

The top book was Batman #52 (Which I bought)

There was a complete run of Batman books from # 52 all the way to #1

There were 2 #3's, 3 #2's And 3 #1's.

I freaked when I pulled out the #1's. They were all roughly 6.0's (At least my memory says so)

Now, I says: "You don't need three #1's! You have two at home already!" (She did. She had every DC golden age key. EVERY one of them. Her collection was astounding.

She says: "I will sell you one of your choice for (Drum Roll) $3,000.

I did not have $3,000 in 1983.

So, I ended up buying a #9 and the #52. My wife at the time shredded the #9 in the heat of battle and I let the #52 go to a collector several years later.

But, those #1's will be burned into my memory until I die.

Did I read this right, your ex-wife tore your Batman #9 into pieces? I wonder how many other wives have wanted to do that to their husband's comic collection!

We were fighting about God knows what and suddenly she stopped shouting and disappeared down the hallway. It took me a second to realize what she might be up to. When I got to the bedroom it was the ol' "One step closer and the Batman #9 gets it." I took a step and she ripped the thing in half. So, in retaliation, I grabbed her jewelry box and headed back down the hallway and flushed the contents down the john.

Ah. To be 20 years old again.