• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA VS KING KONG: MONSTERVERSE (5/22/20)
3 3

345 posts in this topic

The Godzilla & King Kong Universe Finally has A Name

kong-skull-island-banner-226286.jpg

Eagle-eyed shoppers have started spotting some of the Kong: Skull Island toys in the wild already, and thanks to those early releases fans now know what this monster-filled universe will be called (via Scified). On the back of one of the boxes the company lists several other sets that shoppers can buy, and underneath that it lists the name they all fall under, the MonsterVerse.

Legendary has high hopes for their new universe, and expectations are high that the studio can bring Kong back to prominence just like they did with Godzilla.

Kong: Skull Island hits theaters on March 10, 2017. Godzilla 2 is scheduled for March 22, 2018. MonsterVerse is slated for May 29, 2020.

Edited by Bosco685

Godzilla vs. King Kong Gets New Release Date

godzilla-vs-king-kong-new-release-date.j

The Godzilla vs. King Kong movie gets a new release date, moving up a week from May 29, 2020 to May 22, 2020.

Legendary and WB officially kicked off their King Kong and Godzilla shared movie universe with Kong: Skull Island, which featured Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah references in a post-credit scene.

Up next is the Godzilla sequel, which is aptly titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters and hits in 2019.

Adam Wingard talks directing Godzilla vs. Kong

gvkk-wingard-fb.jpg

Adam Wingard is directing the most recent "vs." film to come up in recent years (after such classics as FREDDY VS. JASON, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, and BATMAN V SUPERMAN) with GODZILLA VS. KONG.

"It’s funny—the day I had my first meeting...was the day it was announced that Lord and Miller got fired, so that was kind of an eye-opening moment. I mean, you hear—especially within the industry—a lot of rumors about directors who have silently been replaced, or the movies have been reshot by other directors because the producers were unhappy with them, and things like that. But firing them was a completely different situation...Ultimately, I don’t think it affects me that much...The most important thing when you’re making this type of film is that it’s not about pushing against authority; it’s about everybody getting on the same page. When you’re doing anything that involves a lot of money, it should not be an ‘us vs. them’ kind of thing, and as soon as you start treating it that way, it becomes that way. But as long as you’re open to ideas when they come—and sometimes they’re good and sometimes you have to push back—it’s just about being able to communicate. "

Meanwhile, you can see these titans finally clash May 22nd, 2020.

'Godzilla Vs. Kong' Director Says There Will Be A Winner

godzilla-vs-kong-features-mothra-rodan-k

Director Adam Wingard is planning on it, and he wants to give viewers a satisfying conclusion when Godzilla vs. Kong premieres in 2020.

“I do want there to be a winner,” Wingard said to EW. “The original film (1962’s King Kong vs. Godzilla) was very fun, but you feel a little let down that the movie doesn’t take a definitive stance. People are still debating now who won in that original movie, you know. So, I do want people to walk away from this film feeling like, Okay, there is a winner.”

In that movie, Kong and Godzilla fell into the ocean together and finish their battle. Only Kong reemerges, but the Japan Self Defense Force believes that Godzilla could have survived the battle.

Don’t expect something similar in the next movie, as Wingard will deliver a definitive winner in the battle between the most iconic giant monsters in film history. Now Wingard is preparing for his film by visiting the set of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which will be directed by Michael Doughterty.

“It was really cool. Part of me just wanted to go there and see what a $200 million — or whatever it’s costing — movie liked like,” Wingard said. “And I was kind of relieved to see that, at a certain point, movies can only get so big. That’s kind of what I got from it. It was really educational, just from that perspective. Mike was really nice. I’d never met him before. I walked up to him on set and he was taking pictures of one of the props or something, and he was laughing with somebody, and I was like, ‘Oh, this was really encouraging, to see that you’re smiling and looking happy!’ Because he was halfway through that production, so he could have been in horrible shape.”

Godzilla Vs Kong Working Title Revealed

Godzilla vs. Kong will bring the Monsterverse one step forward after the success of 2014's Godzilla and 2017's Kong: Skull Island. Production Weekly reveals the upcoming match-up features the working title of Apex, and while the film isn't slated to release until 2020, they seem to already be ramping up production.

The good news is fans don't have to wait that long to see Godzilla in action, as Godzilla: King of the Monsters is slated to hit theaters in 2019. That film will introduce a bevy of monster icons like King Ghidorah and Mothra to the universe, all of which were teased in the after credits sequence of Kong: Skull Island. King of the Monsters' O'Shea Jackson teased what's to come in that film, including a monster ending that fans won't forget anytime soon.

"Well as a Godzilla fan I know that I was shocked to find out that the second movie has King Ghidorah," Jackson told Collider. "Like King Ghidorah is the Godzilla bad guy. Like a three-headed golden dragon that shoots lightning is going to be in the movie that I'm in? Spazzing. And we got Mothra, we got Rodan, and we got King Ghidorah all in the same film. In the last scene, between Godzilla and King Ghidorah, I promise you, you will never forget in your life, and as a nerd, I am foaming at the mouth to get in like the editing room or something. No one's answering my calls! Mike Dougherty where are you? Godzilla will be the number one movie dude, it's a home run that I'm waiting for."

It remains to be seen how those other creatures will be worked into Godzilla vs Kong, but fans will be happy to know that while the film will feature a new director (Adam Wingard), it will still feature some of the same sensibilities that Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts established.

“Talking to Adam made me so happy because he, in particular, really understands the kind of anime, manga, mech sensibility that I was trying to bring to Kong," Roberts told Collider. "He gets that and that was something that I fought so hard for and was so difficult to sort of realize to life through concept to execution with ILM [Industrial Light and Magic.] That’s one of the things I’m most proud of with him. I think he truly gets that and he truly wants to lean into this version of Kong that kind of was born from my crazy and stupid video game brain.”

It's an American film, so that means King Kong wins. Check back in with me after it drops. :p 

Godzilla would slay King Kong. I don't even see why this has ever been an argument. :preach:

10 hours ago, newshane said:

It's an American film, so that means King Kong wins. Check back in with me after it drops. :p 

Godzilla would slay King Kong. I don't even see why this has ever been an argument. :preach:

Too me King Kong beating Godzilla is just as absurd as Batman beating Superman.  

Haven't heard anything about this film for some time now.

In a new interview with SFX Magazine (via OMEGAGORMARU), KING OF THE MONSTERS director Michael Dougherty opened up about doing some re-writes on next year’s highly anticipated battle, specifically how they’ve focused on the differences between the two iconic kaiju.

“BECAUSE KONG IS A LITTLE CLOSE TO HUMAN – HE’S A PRIMATE, AS WE ARE – HE’S ALLOWED TO SHOW A SLIGHTLY LARGER RANGE OF EMOTIONS. WE EXPECT THOSE VERY UNIQUE, AND EVEN WARM, BONDING MOMENTS BETWEEN KONG AND HUMAN BEINGS. THAT GOES BACK TO THE 1933 FILM, WHERE HE WAS NEVER STRICTLY A MONSTER; THERE WAS ALWAYS A VERY HUMAN SIDE TO HIM IN THE WAYS THAT HE INTERACTS WITH US. THAT WAS A JOY TO WRITE.”

Dougherty explained that Kong has a very tangible “softer side,” while Godzilla’s is “more implied.”

“With Godzilla, that’s not expected, THAT’S NOT TO SAY THAT YOU CAN’T DO IT, BUT ANY KIND OF BOND BETWEEN GODZILLA AND HUMANS HAS USUALLY BEEN MORE IMPLIED. SO YOU RARELY GET TO SEE GODZILLA’S SOFTER SIDE. WHEREAS WITH KONG, IT’S AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE CHARACTER. IF YOU EVER MADE A KONG FILM, WHERE YOU DIDN’T GET TO SEE THE SOFTER SIDE OF THE CHARACTER, IT WOULD FALL SHORT.”

I don't understand how we're supposed to get hyped for a King of the Monsters vs King Kong movie, when Godzilla is about to take on Ghidorah(+) and presumably win.

Is Kong an Alpha? How does he stack up against a :censored: 3-headed dragon, let alone a nuke-eating atomic-blasting Godzilla..?

Idk. I didn't see Skull Island because I heard it was "meh" by everyone that did see it.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, TwoPiece said:

I don't understand how we're supposed to get hyped for a King of the Monsters vs King Kong movie, when Godzilla is about to take on Ghidorah(+) and presumably win.

Is Kong an Alpha? How does he stack up against a :censored: 3-headed dragon, let alone a nuke-eating atomic-blasting Godzilla..?

Idk. I didn't see Skull Island because I heard it was "meh" by everyone that did see it.

I definitely don't think you can compare Skull Island to a Big Monster Movie plot. The former was all about the little humans versus the Big Monster, while the latter is going to be a massive fight between two of the biggest names in the Big Monster genre.

But it's like going to see Endgame finding out one of those characters dies, yet they have a movie coming out the next year or two. How do you get excited over that later film?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I definitely don't think you can compare Skull Island to a Big Monster Movie plot. The former was all about the little humans versus the Big Monster, while the latter is going to be a massive fight between two of the biggest names in the Big Monster genre.

But it's like going to see Endgame finding out one of those characters dies, yet they have a movie coming out the next year or two. How do you get excited over that later film?

I don't. lol

In a mildly unsettling move, it appears Warner Brothers are toying with the idea of shifting Godzilla vs. Kong's release date. The fourth Monsterverse installment and sequel to Mike Dougherty's Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters is currently slated to hit theaters March 13th 2020, but a recent statement by Warner Bros. Studio Chairman Toby Emmerich suggests the studio is eyeing a later release date than originally planned.

"As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich".

Not only that, reshoots are also rumored to be taking place as well... with less than a year to go before the originally projected release date, scheduling reshoots and delaying the theatrical debut do bring up mild concerns and we're a bit worried.

As we learn more about Godzilla vs. Kong's  potential reshoots and new release date, we'll be sure to keep you posted!