• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA VS KING KONG: MONSTERVERSE (5/22/20)
3 3

345 posts in this topic

It appears that Godzilla vs. Kong will be roaring for Warner Bros. after all. The studio is nearing a deal with Legendary Entertainment with respect to the release of Godzilla vs. Kong, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

An agreement means the parties are close to averting a potential legal confrontation over Warner Media’s surprise decision to put its entire 2021 slate on its HBO Max streamer on the same date that the films open in theaters. Warners' unprecedented Dec. 3 announcement caught all talent and filmmakers off guard and Warners is now engaged in negotiations with dozens of parties seeking compensation for potential loss of profit participation.

The $200 million-plus Godzilla is one of two Legendary films caught up in Warners' surprise move. The situation is more complicated for Dune, though the parties are said to be moving close to an agreement on that project as well. Filmmaker Denis Villeneuve has written passionately about his desire for an exclusive theatrical release and Legendary is backing him in that demand, according to a knowledgeable source. That film is set for an October release, meaning that theaters may once again be operating as millions are vaccinated.

According to a source, conversations regarding various theatrical windowing approaches are ongoing and it remains unclear which option will be acceptable to Villeneuve. Another potential issue: It appears Warners may have been using Dune images to promote its streaming service without approval.

A spokesperson for Legendary declined to comment.

If Warners gives Dune an exclusive release, that could set a precedent allowing others, such as Matrix 4 filmmaker Lana Wachowski, to demand similar treatment. As talks continue, it is unclear whether Warner Media will be able to hold the line on its day-and-date strategy to bolster its streaming service. Wachowski is said to be adamant about an exclusive theatrical run.

Legendary was considered the likeliest of Warners’ financing partners to pursue litigation following the studio’s surprise decision. It financed 75 percent of Godzilla and was prepared to accept a $225 million-plus Netflix offer for the film. Warners blocked that deal.

While nearly every movie has been delayed in wake of the pandemic, Warner Bros. has taken the unusual step of releasing “Godzilla vs. Kong” two months earlier than expected.

The legendary monsters will face off on March 26, instead of May 21, in theaters and on the streaming service HBO Max.

Legendary Entertainment, the production company behind “Godzilla vs. Kong,” recently engaged in a public spat with Warner Bros., threatening to take legal action over the studio’s decision to send all of its 2021 movies to HBO Max on the same day they debut in theaters. Legendary was frustrated, in part because Warner Bros. had previously blocked Netflix’s $250 million bid to buy the monster movie. However, the two companies have reportedly hashed out frustrations and settled on a release strategy that satisfied both parties.

New footage from Godzilla vs Kong shows a moment from their big fight where the giant ape lands a punch on Gojira. The fourth film in Legendary's MonsterVerse will finally pit the two kaiju against each other. The title match is expected to see Godzilla and Kong fight for the mantle of King of the Monsters, though it's still anyone's guess who will come out on top.

Godzilla vs Kong is among the many Warner Bros. movies being released on HBO Max alongside its theatrical release. This new release strategy came about in response to the pandemic's continued effect on movie theaters, leaving many in the U.S. still closed. Though Legendary initially balked at WB's plan, the two studios have since worked it out. Godzilla vs Kong has even had its release date moved up, with the film now set to release in theaters and on HBO Max in March.

In a new trailer from HBO Max that teases many of WB's upcoming movies, a bit of new Godzilla vs Kong footage shows more of their expected battle. In this particular clip, Kong can be seen punching Godzilla square on the jaw! Check it out:

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

The question is... Is this worth seeing in theaters? I'm not sure.

Perhaps the hype is due to start soon with the release of some footage but I can't tell either what this is shaping up to be like.

However (under normal circumstances) this is the type of film I would love to see at the cinema just to get the full experience of the sound and scale when the action hits.

3 minutes ago, RickSp said:

Perhaps the hype is due to start soon with the release of some footage but I can't tell either what this is shaping up to be like.

However (under normal circumstances) this is the type of film I would love to see at the cinema just to get the full experience of the sound and scale when the action hits.

I agree with Godzilla, but King of the Monsters was a let down. It may depend on (for me) if either of my parents want to see it in theaters.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

The question is... Is this worth seeing in theaters? I'm not sure.

I think the studio is taking the approach of withholding as much surprises as possible. Which is very different nowadays from the extensive and over-revealing P&A marketing campaigns of modern times.

So to your original question - TBD.

I keep seeing people post over in Black Widow how they have little to no excitement for that movie. Whatever. It's only the cinematic debut of one of the coolest villains ever, Taskmaster. Now Godzilla v Kong, on the other hand, this is a movie I can honestly truly say I have zero excitement over and may not even see it on HBO Max which I get for free, and I'm both a Godzilla and a King Kong fan even.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

51 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I keep seeing people post over in Black Widow how they have little to no excitement for that movie. Whatever. It's only the cinematic debut of one of the coolest villains ever, Taskmaster. Now Godzilla v Kong, on the other hand, this is a movie I can honestly truly say I have zero excitement over and may not even see it on HBO Max which I get for free, and I'm both a Godzilla and a King Kong fan even.

So Black Widow over Godzilla vs King Kong. Got it!

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You have to admit that the last Godzilla movie (King of the Monsters?) wasn't very good.

Hopefully this one is better!

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not even that close. More like negative excitement. Like I'm not sure I'd even care to see this if HBO Max somehow gave me credit on my zero bill I get. It's like seeing the poster makes me even more bored about it. These two or three posts I've made are about the only excitement I expect to get  from a movie I'm not sure why exists.

4 minutes ago, piper said:

You have to admit that the last Godzilla movie (King of the Monsters?) wasn't very good.

Hopefully this one is better!

Watching the big monster fights in that last movie was fun - but the cinematography was like Game of Thrones Season 8 'The Long Night' where I thought my TV screen was dying. Like they tried to save on CGI by just going dark and call it done.

I do hope this is much more of a massive monster fight IN THE LIGHT.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not even that close. More like negative excitement. Like I'm not sure I'd even care to see this if HBO Max somehow gave me credit on my zero bill I get. It's like seeing the poster makes me even more bored about it. These two or three posts I've made are about the only excitement I expect to get  from a movie I'm not sure why exists.

'negative excitement' - like you are paying back excitement to the movie? That's fantastic!

Admit it. All something has to say is 'Made By MCU' and you are there screaming how amazing it is going to be and it will save theaters. It's fantastical thinking. But it's your opinion. 

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Now here's a Godzilla movie I screamed about how amazing it was.

1799680686_shingodzilla.thumb.jpg.36f30767b2053727bb12cfaaee53c11a.jpg

Bought this as soon as it came out on bluray and then later on in HDX on VUDU. Now that was a wild Godzilla movie!

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Bought this as soon as it came out on bluray and then later on in HDX on VUDU. Now that was a wild Godzilla movie!

I made a point to see it in the theaters. For me, it's how you do Godzilla, both a good monster movie and a metaphor for Japan's problems.

I'm not super excited either, and I love that big monster (Godzilla that is). When I think of this movie I remember the first time I read Tomb of Dracula 50, which pits Dracula against the Silver Surfer, and I find myself asking the same questions and I expect I will get the same answer, something will "happen" to Godzilla so he cannot use all his powers, and suddenly the implausible becomes plausible.