• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA VS KING KONG: MONSTERVERSE (5/22/20)
3 3

345 posts in this topic

Watched it and enjoyed it.  Was very entertaining.  Fight scenes were awesome.  The damage and death toll would be enormous.  Would agree Kong had lots of moments to see his emotions and character. Godzilla, not so much.

Did have one question though. 

Spoiler

Where was the light coming from when they were in the Hallow Earth?  There was no explanation of that.  There's just light?  

Watched it tonight and had to smile when they were helicoptering Kong. A neat nod to the original version. Overall I enjoyed it. Would like to learn more about the Kong Godzilla rivalry.  

Godzilla vs. Kong is on track to have the best opening weekend at the box office since the COVID-19 pandemic began. Ever since the coronavirus pandemic shut down movie theaters in March 2020, it has been difficult for Hollywood to recover. Christopher Nolan's Tenet tried to be the first big tentpole to debut and performed admirably given the circumstances, but the box office has been much lower than usual. This was due to theaters being closed around the world and limited capacity and movie options offered at those that were open.

According to THR, Godzilla vs. Kong continues to perform strongly at the domestic box office over its extended Easter weekend opening. The movie reportedly earned $11.6M on Friday, giving the monster mashup a current domestic total of $27.9M. That three-day total is already higher than any other opening in the last year domestically, but Godzilla vs. Kong is heading for more. This performance puts the movie on track for an opening north of $42M, which is easily the best opening since COVID-19.

5 hours ago, Capn17 said:

Watched it and enjoyed it.  Was very entertaining.  Fight scenes were awesome.  The damage and death toll would be enormous.  Would agree Kong had lots of moments to see his emotions and character. Godzilla, not so much.

Reveal hidden contents

Where was the light coming from when they were in the Hallow Earth?  There was no explanation of that.  There's just light?  

Fair question. I'd like to this as well.

14 hours ago, Capn17 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That was the point of the movie,we saw the struggle of godzilla in other movie,now its Kong,Kong was warm and godzilla cold,which come withe the morale of the end with what to do with different opinion ,should there be only one or should we respect the diversité of the ecosystem and try to live together in stabilité of equilibrium ,have to see movie for result,but thats why they chose to really aliénante the two as completely different.

As the weekend's box office numbers have come in (via Deadline), Godzilla vs. Kong has walked away with $285 million, making it the faster film to reach the $200 million mark since the pandemic began. The previous record-holder, Tenet, reached $200 million internationally after 24 days. Godzilla vs. Kong managed to reach that milestone only after 12 days. Currently, the film is also the third highest-grossing international film of 2021 while also taking the number one spot domestically.

Interestingly, Godzilla vs. Kong has reached these high box office numbers despite its simultaneous HBO Max release. Warner Bros. had announced that they would simultaneously release all their 2021 films both theatrically and on HBO Max, including blockbusters like Dune and The Matrix 4. The move was met with some controversy, and some estimated that Warner Bros. could lose up to $1.2 billion using the hybrid release model. However, as Godzilla vs. Kong's numbers have shown, perhaps the move won't hamper potential box office take as much as initially thought.

Surprisingly, Godzilla vs. Kong actually beat its predecessor Godzilla: King of the Monsters' opening weekend domestic box office take. Godzilla vs. Kong brought in $48.5 million, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters brought in $47.8 million.

17 hours ago, Capn17 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Isn't that a movie trope?  Any underground world always has sunlight and it's never explained

On 4/1/2021 at 7:44 AM, Oddball said:

For starters, the 2014 Godzilla had a better story. The humans were at the forefront but that was also the movies major complaint. Not enough Godzilla. Great performance by Brian Cranston is overlooked. Now we have more monster battles and a lighter tone with the human characters being either too jokey or overly serious.

I couldnt care less about godzilla 2014,the story sucked at every level the army was a headless mass running amuck in every way possible could not make their mind on the bomb,really a stupid story plus the opposing monsters wete lame eexept godzilla,Kong island,well the original mo ster fight from the 30s were more entertaining,but second godzilla with ghidorah was awsome and so is Kong vs godzilla

13 minutes ago, Namtak said:

You send a lot of numbers from the box office but the question remains what do you think of the movie

I posted that already but when you posted multiple comments about anything and everything (e.g. Godzilla vs Ultraman) you may have missed this.

:baiting:

Thanks for your concerns, though.

:foryou:

I just watched it and thought it was the biggest piece of carp I’ve ever seen.  So ridiculously stupid.  
I didn’t go in expecting anything and I was still disappointed.  It sucked even worse than I thought it could:

As I said over in the WC, I’d watch Transformers before I’d watch this turd again.