• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 6 directed by Tim Miller (7/26/19)
2 2

328 posts in this topic

Really who was begging for this movie? I’ve seen it been called everything from a compete uninspired rehash to “woke terminator”. I just don’t get who the market for this movie was?

Total All costs budget 300 million? This film gonna lose like 100 million when all said and done?

I enjoyed it and thought it was entertaining enough for what it was which is a goodbye for the original players (Arnold, Linda and James).

If they were hoping for a reboot though introducing another (endless it seems) timeline probably wasn’t the best way to go. Still, I didn’t leave the theatre feeling burned. I got my money’s worth of action.

I saw it. I was expecting a dumpster fire, and actually, it wasn't bad. 

It also wasn't great. This film is almost every way The Force Awakens for the Terminator franchise. The plot is exactly the same as the first Terminator film, and almost every sequence is designed to be a callback to sequences from previous films in the franchise. It's basically fan service, relying on your nostalgia to provide the emotion. Like The Force Awakens, it also features a more modern, diverse cast, and these elements are the best part of the film if only because some of the discussions they generate in the film are the only original parts in the film. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. It is a bit neither here nor there, though, in terms of audience. Nobody is going to see this who hasn't already seen a previous Terminator film, but the people most likely to appreciate it would be new viewers who don't have expectations about what the franchise should be. I think they were trying to do a Mad Max Fury Road thing here, but they didn't go big enough or bold enough with the direction and it sort of just ended up in no-man's-lad, pun intended. 

Not bad. Just... not what anybody was looking for either.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Anyone have the latest updates on box office?

From Deadline:

4th Update/Writethru, Sunday AM after Saturday AM postIt’s not a good weekend for franchises, specifically old dusty ones like the sixth Terminator movie, Terminator: Dark Fate, which is seeing an apocalyptic future at the weekend domestic box office with $29M, per Paramount (rivals see it lower ,in the high $28M range).

That’s a terrible result for a planned Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox tentpole that reportedly cost $185M (some even say it was $196M). Saturday was estimated around $11M, +4% from Friday+previews’ $10.6M, but still nothing to celebrate. More bad news: Dark Fate is the lowest No. 1 opening for the first weekend of November since 2013’s Ender’s Game, which debuted to $27M (final domestic B.O. $61.7M).

36 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

From Deadline:

4th Update/Writethru, Sunday AM after Saturday AM postIt’s not a good weekend for franchises, specifically old dusty ones like the sixth Terminator movie, Terminator: Dark Fate, which is seeing an apocalyptic future at the weekend domestic box office with $29M, per Paramount (rivals see it lower ,in the high $28M range).

That’s a terrible result for a planned Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox tentpole that reportedly cost $185M (some even say it was $196M). Saturday was estimated around $11M, +4% from Friday+previews’ $10.6M, but still nothing to celebrate. More bad news: Dark Fate is the lowest No. 1 opening for the first weekend of November since 2013’s Ender’s Game, which debuted to $27M (final domestic B.O. $61.7M).

even worse, it bombed in China. $28MM vs $40-50MM estimates- this thing is DOA

It was the best one since T2, but considering all the other sequels in the series, doesn’t mean it was great. Typical franchise action movie. If they had lightsabers or imports with neon under glow kids instead of robots with machine guns it would have broke records. 

45 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

If this movie is so good or at least decent, and it’s a loved franchise...why are people not going to it? It gets good paid reviews, highly positive media coverage too. Why did people avoid it?

What they did to the main character in the first five minutes spread quickly and I doubt that helped. Some assumed it was going to be like the last Ghostbusters movie.

Edited by CAHokie

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

If this movie is so good or at least decent, and it’s a loved franchise...why are people not going to it? It gets good paid reviews, highly positive media coverage too. Why did people avoid it?

Word of mouth. Even from the folks here who say it's decent, it sounds... lame. 6/10 is a "D" grade IMO. Maybe not a lot of folks want to see a bad reshoot of the first two Terminator stories made just for the sake of gender-empowerment. Predictable really.

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

Word of mouth. Even from the folks here who say it's decent, it sounds... lame. 6/10 is a "D" grade IMO. Maybe not a lot of folks want to see a bad reshoot of the first two Terminator stories made just for the sake of gender-empowerment. Predictable really.

I’d say the low turn out was due to remake burn out but the Rambo movie did pretty well.  Maybe there is something to the thought that this was a “guy” movie and it got preachy about woman power.  Or maybe it just unlucky with everyone having fall stuff to do this last weekend.

Edited by 1Cool