• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 6 directed by Tim Miller (7/26/19)
2 2

328 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Probably all the bad sequels

I don’t see that though. nearly every major movie of the last few years is a sequel or remake. It’s clear remakes/sequels are the driving force in box office and have been for many years. Even Joker on some level falls into this category since it’s all well known characters/core material and the 6th time the character was in a major studio picture. It has similar paid reviews too.

The last terminator movie did well enough and it was received very badly by the paid critics AND fans. The only thing making this stand out about this movie seems to be the social commentary narrative that defined this movie and it’s marketing. I think really seems to be what killed this, this was the wrong franchise to go “woke” with For lack of a better term.

This is what Miller said before the movie opened..

“If you’re at all enlightened, she’ll play like gangbusters. If you’re a closet misogynist, she’ll scare the f*** out of you, because she’s tough and strong but very feminine,” Miller said. “We did not trade certain gender traits for others; she’s just very strong, and that frightens some dudes. You can see online the responses to some of the early mess that’s out there, trolls on the internet. I don’t give a f***”

I wonder if he cares now? No one cares that the hero is a female. Sarah was always a female last I checked and loved by the male fan base.  Its what was done to the characters and why that people have a problem with. Otherwise it would have been a pretty great movie.

Edited by CAHokie

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I heard that this is awful. Any truth to that?

Did you not read the reviews in this thread? If you liked the first two movies you should like this one. Ignore the incel's complaints. 

2 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Did you not read the reviews in this thread? If you liked the first two movies you should like this one. Ignore the incel's complaints. 

My experience is that those who use this term are not to be trusted. Slinging insults/labels over opinions is always a red flag.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I don’t see that though. nearly every major movie of the last few years is a sequel or remake. It’s clear remakes/sequels are the driving force in box office and have been for many years. Even Joker on some level falls into this category since it’s all well known characters/core material and the 6th time the character was in a major studio picture. It has similar paid reviews too.

The last terminator movie did well enough and it was received very badly by the paid critics AND fans. The only thing making this stand out about this movie seems to be the social commentary narrative that defined this movie and it’s marketing. I think really seems to be what killed this, this was the wrong franchise to go “woke” with For lack of a better term.

North American box office numbers dropped for every sequel after T2. It was the international BO that propped up Genisys.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My experience is that those who use this term are not to be trusted. Slinging insults/labels over opinions is always a red flag.

Go read some comments on Moviechat and tell me there's no agenda to sink this movie. 

4 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Go read some comments on Moviechat and tell me there's no agenda to sink this movie. 

The agendas are typically in the movie. Desiring escapism is a valid expectation IMO.

Some people are okay putting up with it. Personally, I don't want any of it. I can tolerate bits and pieces.

Are the characters good/faithful? Is the story good/faithful? That's what I want to know. Normally, if they are not, that's when the affirmative action gets criticized/highlighted.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, N e r V said:

I enjoyed it and thought it was entertaining enough for what it was which is a goodbye for the original players (Arnold, Linda and James).

If they were hoping for a reboot though introducing another (endless it seems) timeline probably wasn’t the best way to go. Still, I didn’t leave the theatre feeling burned. I got my money’s worth of action.

I'm going to pay and watch it.  Sounds like about a couple of hours of enjoyable entertainment for me anyway.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The agendas are typically in the movie. Desiring escapism is a valid expectation IMO.

Some people are okay putting up with it. Personally, I don't want any of it. I can tolerate bits and pieces.

Are the characters good/faithful? Is the story good/faithful? That's what I want to know. Normally, if they are not, that's when the affirmative action gets criticized/highlighted.

Understood. It can be seen as the sequel to T2 and not any of the other sequels. The story is tight, no plot holes, good effects, great action scenes and seeing Arnold is always awesome. Having Linda back was a bonus. I loved the first two movies, the rest not so much. This is the third best one imo. 

38 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Am I an incel because I didn’t like the decision they made in the first 5 minutes of the movie? It sucks that you cant dislike anything without it being attributed to something it’s not. 😔

If the lightsaber throwing and milk drinking in Force Awakens didn’t bother you than neither will this movie. Otherwise, like FA, it has some fun moments and having Arnold and Linda back together was great.

1 hour ago, CAHokie said:

Am I an incel because I didn’t like the decision they made in the first 5 minutes of the movie? It sucks that you cant dislike anything without it being attributed to something it’s not. 😔

If the lightsaber throwing and milk drinking in Force Awakens didn’t bother you than neither will this movie. Otherwise, like FA, it has some fun moments and having Arnold and Linda back together was great.

I saw this like 2 weeks ago at a pre-screen, for the life of me, I can't think of something that happened in the first 5 minutes that would be upsetting, can you put it in a spoiler and refresh me?

1 hour ago, CAHokie said:

I don't know. Only you can answer that. 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I saw this like 2 weeks ago at a pre-screen, for the life of me, I can't think of something that happened in the first 5 minutes that would be upsetting, can you put it in a spoiler and refresh me?

Spoiler

The death of John Connor

2 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Oh that was in the first 5 minutes? Dang I remembered a longer intro lol

By ya I get that, it's what made the "reason" for this installment, but it was a bit omg.

Spoiler

Oh during narration, now I remember, for some odd reason I remembered it later

2 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

North American box office numbers dropped for every sequel after T2. It was the international BO that propped up Genisys.

But each one made money and did at least 400 million. Going down I get, catastrophically bombing to lose likely over 100 million is another.

Basically when I got over the shock of that and based on the rest of the movie, it just seemed they could pull that twist with any reboot down the line..

Spoiler

This one was enjoyable however.... the mother Mary line made me chuckle...

Well - it’s hard to spin the fact this movie made less its opening weekend than T2 did in its opening weekend nearly 30 years ago.

Given the choice of The Joker, this film, Zombieland 2 or Motherless Brooklyn this weekend, I saw Zombieland 2 & I don’t regret it.

i also think Ruben Fleisher made the right choice to direct Zombieland 2 rather over Venom 2 - and that other film won’t be out for another year or so.