• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 6 directed by Tim Miller (7/26/19)
2 2

328 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

The first two are still incredible after all of these years.

They are great. Loved them but the first two Aliens, Halloweens, and early Nightmares on Elm Street were just as well great, but stagnated with modern times after more sequels. Sometimes certain movies were just made perfect for that decade or two and that audience.

That`s why the Universal Monsters/ King Kong and Godzilla franchises haven't hit big homeruns now.

They were all kings of a certain era.

Times change. Audience taste changes.

It be like the Rolling Stones or Led Zep starting out today in music. They wouldn't dominate the modern crowds like they did back than.

That`s what happened with the Terminator.

First movie came out in 1984. That`s 35 years ago.

That be like someone in 1984 going to watch a 1949 sequel.

My ranking of Terminator from best to worst:

Terminator 

Terminator 2

Terminator: Dark Fate

Terminator Salvation

Terminator: Rise of the Machines

and Last and very much least, the abomination that is terminator genesys aka the terminator movie with the preview so awful I couldn’t bring myself to watch it. 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Juno Beach said:

I'm not sure how me saying I don't think the movie had an agenda to undermine white males could be construed as an attack on white males. That's a bizarre take away. You still never said what you think the agenda is. You just quoted somebody else's opinion.

Reading is fundamental. Go back and practice more.

Just don't go to those gutter-forums and drag your racebaiting here anymore.

/discussion

On 11/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, jcjames said:

Reading is fundamental. Go back and practice more.

Just don't go to those gutter-forums and drag your racebaiting here anymore.

/discussion

You are using buzz words to escalate this conversation. Why can't you tell me what you meant? I will continue to post as I see fit.  If you don't want to read my posts put me on ignore. It won't bother me at all if you do. 

...Back to the non-annoying part of this conversation...

I saw Dark Fate this weekend and really enjoyed it.  I didn't know how it was doing going into it, but I saw it the second weekend and there weren't a ton of people in the theater, which told me it wasn't making a lot of money.  In reflecting on it after returning home, it became clear to me that as a fan of some of the Terminator movies and someone who tries to keep up on movie news, I knew that this was a continuation of Judgement Day and I could mentally weed out Rise, Salvation, and Genisys.  However, the common moviegoer will often see movies as trilogies these days which has no doubt led to some confusion. 

The first 3 movies flow as one moderately coherent story that ends just as Judgement Day (the in-universe event, not the movie) begins.  Now looking at the NEXT 3 movies, you start with Salvation which has a very different feel from the previous 3 movies.  Then you get Genisys which reboots things and borrows elements from some of the movies but ignores others.  Genisys was supposed to be the beginning of a new series of movies but it ultimately went nowhere.  Unfortunately, the common moviegoer may think that Dark Fate is just the next story that picks up after Genisys...a movie many didn't care about.  Suddenly, Dark Fate becomes the third part in a very confusing trilogy in the minds of many...and not the trilogy the creators had in mind. 

A few random spoiler-y thoughts:

Spoiler

Sarah Connor's entrance on the bridge was awesome...so awesome that I wish they didn't spoil it in the trailer. 

The flashback scene near the beginning where John Connor gets gunned down by the Terminator that would eventually become Carl was pretty jarring, but I understand it was necessary.  I'm typically not a fan of building up characters/growth over the course of an entire movie only to toss them aside in the next installment.  Examples that spring to mind: in the first Karate Kid, he gets into a lot of trouble pursuing a girl.  By the end, he gets her.  Fast forward to Karate Kid 2 and she's written out in a throwaway line.  Another example: How I Met Your Mother saw ladies' man Barney finally start to settle down and mature once he got together with Robin.  Their relationship blossomed over 1-2 seasons.  If I'm not mistaken, one entire season was set against the backdrop of their wedding weekend with the season finale being the ceremony.  Skip forward to the next season with a small time skip and the two are divorced and Barney is back to his tomcat ways.  Bringing this back, I had seen T2: Judgement day a LOT as a kid.  I rooted for John to survive the attack of the killer robot many times.  I assumed that when the T-1000 was destroyed, John was then destined to survive the machine uprising and lead the human resistance.  To find out he was actually gunned down shortly after the events of T2 was a little unsettling.  A necessary evil, I suppose. 

I liked that Carl was very friendly to his dog after seeing many instances of dogs going ballistic around Terminators. 

The Dani in the future seemed silly to me.  The future shown is supposed to be like 20+ years in the future and at least some of that time is spent in a robot apocalypse.  So why does Dani look even younger in this future?  They gave her cornrows and a bulky tactical outfit; both of which made her appear shorter.  Couple that with her perfectly smooth, not at all ravaged-by-war skin and it appears the apocalypse has been very kind to Dani.  This wasn't major, just a little silly to me. 

I did find it interesting that Sarah and John were actually successful in stopping Skynet from coming online.  It appears that a robot uprising may be inevitable, but to swap out Skynet for Legion was interesting.  Though it makes you wonder...if Dani can prevent Legion from coming online, who's to say a robot uprising under a different name won't pop up?

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I enjoyed seeing Linda and Arnold back in their roles.  Grace was great.  Dani was...fine.  Not bad, just nothing memorable about her character.  I'd happily watch this one again...maybe as a marathon with Terminator and T2.

I rewatched Gynesis tonight. Even though I disliked it the first time because they invalidated the first two movies, I actually enjoyed it this time around. If I had to choose a new horrible timeline, I would choose this one over part 6. At least Sarah, Kyle and Pops are all together. :nyah:

On 11/6/2019 at 8:23 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

It went against this for competition. Most likely why Terminator 6 was a flop. Came out basically over the same weekend.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’ Sales Top $600 Million In Three Days.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/10/30/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-sales-top-600-million-in-three-days/#5683edd17956

• It’s the top selling “premium” (ie. $60) game of 2019.
  • It’s the best digital opening in Activision history.
  • It’s the best-selling COD launch on PC ever.
  • It’s the most digitally pre-ordered game on PS4 ever.
  • It sold the most digital copies in three days on PS4 ever.
  • It has more total hours played and total players than any COD in six years.
  • And they want to point out that the $600 million “opening weekend” more than doubled the opening of Joker. Alright.

Wow! COD🤘

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Ouch!

I love how defensive he was about this movie during its release as compared to him now slyly throwing the entire film under the bus. Trying to distance himself  from it now that it’s a mega bomb. 

Strangely, the coolest scene in the entire movie for me was seeing Sarah and John circa 1991 near the opening. That was some flawless CGI or however they put it together. I really wanted to see more of 1991 Sarah. I did not like the content of the scene, just the tech. 
Dark Fate was a fine Terminator movie to end the trilogy with. The actors that play Grace and the REV9 easily steal the show from Linda and Arnold though it was great seeing them again. Dani was fine but forgettable. At this point, I don’t think the franchise can be revived. Not when you have guys like Denis Villeneuve who may be taking the quality of sci-fi films to the next level. 

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I love how defensive he was about this movie during its release as compared to him now slyly throwing the entire film under the bus. Trying to distance himself  from it now that it’s a mega bomb. 

and in weekend 4 it has practically disappeared, will barely crack $1MM in US

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, paperheart said:

and in weekend 4 it has practically disappeared, will barely crack $1MM in US

It's not even playing in my local AMC theaters anymore.  I couldn't see it again if I wanted to!

I still maintain that it was very enjoyable.  Since seeing Dark Fate a few weeks ago, I re-watched Terminator, T2, and Salvation. 

Terminator: Fresh idea and well-executed.  The effects are definitely dated, but I understand it had a very low budget and it was made in the early 80's.  It gets some slack.

Judgement Day: Oh Man!  I envy anyone unfamiliar with the franchise who can watch this right after Terminator.  They set it up to be the same formula as the last one (Killer Machine vs. Human Protector) only to flip everything on its head the moment the Arnold and Robert Patrick first encounter each other.  I know this got spoiled in the trailer, but imagine going in not knowing anything about the franchise.  What a gripping situation!  And the effects and stuntwork are amazing and still hold up really well.  The epitome of a "good sequel". 

Rise of the Machines: Re-hash of Judgement Day.  The TX isn't bad, she just never achieved the same level of intimidation as the Terminators in the previous two entries.  This one gets better with time and I think the ending is solid.  Other than the ending, it didn't bring enough new to the table to make it super memorable. 

Salvation: The concept of a movie shot during the robot apocalypse is a good one since the only parts we've seen of that so far have been short flashback (forward?) sequences.  It was also good to see John Connor actually assume the role of Savior/Prophet/Messiah that the previous 3 movies established he'd be.  I also liked that not everyone believed that he was a prophesized hero...and why would they?  At this point in time, no one knows about time machines and the things he says sound crazy to any rational person.  This one spent too much time on Marcus and it really distracted from John and Kyle.  The Arnold cameo definitely fell into uncanny valley territory.  Otherwise, the use of mostly practical effects looks great and still hold up well 10 years later.

Genisys:  What?

I already gave my thoughts on Dark Fate.  What I enjoy is that we essentially have 2 branching conclusions to the story laid out in Terminator 1 & 2.  In one case, Sarah dies after the events of T2 and the story plays out in Rise of the Machines and Salvation.  In the other case, Sarah survives and we get Dark Fate.  It's like we have a big budget Choose-Your-Own-Adventure situation.  I, for one, think that's very cool. 

Ok I just saw it.  Pretty good but I have some issues with the movie.

Spoiler

Along with star wars avengers and other franchises it seems to be going for wokeness-replacing male heroes with female.  John Connor is no longer the future leader of the resistance, he's in fact nobody.  He's dead.  Instead the resistance leader is a woman.  Now I have no issues with women but you would never see wonder woman replaced by a man.  Just sayin.  Also the terminator after he completes his mission of killing john connor goes and starts a family.  No.  Skynet programs all terminators-after mission ended self destruct or further mission.  Robots are not just cut loose to start a family and a drapery business.  

On 1/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, kav said:

Ok I just saw it.  Pretty good but I have some issues with the movie.

Reveal hidden contents

Along with star wars avengers and other franchises it seems to be going for wokeness-replacing male heroes with female.  John Connor is no longer the future leader of the resistance, he's in fact nobody.  He's dead.  Instead the resistance leader is a woman.  Now I have no issues with women but you would never see wonder woman replaced by a man.  Just sayin.  Also the terminator after he completes his mission of killing john connor goes and starts a family.  No.  Skynet programs all terminators-after mission ended self destruct or further mission.  Robots are not just cut loose to start a family and a drapery business.  

Just watched the movie on Blu-Ray this weekend, while there was a lot to like about the movie, this one is going on the bottom of my list.

T1 - T2 - Salvation - T3 - Genysys - Dark Fate

I really like the REV9 Terminator abilities, but there was never any explanation of what a REV9 "is".

Spoiler

The flashback scene reminded me of that book Infiltrator, with Sarah and John living in South America. Not happy that they killed off John Connor without even a second thought, like "oh yea, he dead, moving on".

3 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Just watched the movie on Blu-Ray this weekend, while there was a lot to like about the movie, this one is going on the bottom of my list.

T1 - T2 - Salvation - T3 - Genysys - Dark Fate

I really like the REV9 Terminator abilities, but there was never any explanation of what a REV9 "is".

Hide contents

The flashback scene reminded me of that book Infiltrator, with Sarah and John living in South America. Not happy that they killed off John Connor without even a second thought, like "oh yea, he dead, moving on".

and it was done so simply if it was that simple why wasnt it simple before???  lazy retcon stink.