• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 6 directed by Tim Miller (7/26/19)
2 2

328 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

(Walking towards car)

"I call shotgun."

'I call 9mm.'

:facepalm:

The lines in that show were dumb and dumber.  You know the writers were slapping themselves on the back at how clever they were being.  

Arnold Schwarzenegger Will be Back for New Terminator Movie

terminatorreboot.jpg

News broke earlier this year that a new Terminator film was in development with series creator James Cameron back in the fold. Another key element coming back is series star Arnold Schwarzenegger, who confirmed his return to Screen Daily.

“It is back. It is moving forward. He (Cameron) has some good ideas of how to continue with the franchise. I will be in the movie,” Schwarzenegger said.

Cameron, who will regain the Terminator rights in 2019, is reportedly “godfathering” the new film which has Deadpool director Tim Miller and David Ellison of Skydance (Terminator Genisys) teaming up. Miller is set to direct the feature, since Cameron will be directing his four Avatar sequels.

James Cameron Sets His Sights On A New TERMINATOR Trilogy To Reinvent The Franchise

Terminator_Cameron.jpg

With the rights to the franchise set to revert back to him in 2019, director James Cameron is looking to start working on a new trilogy of Terminator movies, that he says will reinvent the series.

With the rights set to return to him, Cameron has been focused on how he will handle the release of a new movie. Early reports have him in negotiations with Deadpool director, Tim Miller, to helm the film as he will be busy with his upcoming Avatar sequels.

While speaking to News Australia, Cameron revealed that he actually has a trilogy in mind, and is working with current Terminator rights holder, David Ellison, to get it off the ground. "The question is — has the franchise run its course or can it be freshened up," he asked. "Can it still have relevance now where so much of our world is catching up to what was science fiction in the first two films. We live in a world of predator drones and surveillance and big data and emergent AI (artificial intelligence). So I am in discussions with David Ellison, who is the current rights holder globally for the Terminator franchise and the rights in the US market revert to me under US copyright law in a year and a half so he and I are talking about what we can do. Right now we are leaning toward doing a three-film arc and reinventing it. We’ll put more meat on the bones if we get past the next couple of hurdles as and when we announce that."

Talk then shifted to Cameron's disdain for the other films in the franchise that were produced after he walked away. When it comes to the likes of Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines, Terminator: Salvation, and Terminator: GENISYS, it seems Cameron has only spoken positively about them to show support for his friend, Arnold Schwarzenegger. "I think it’s fairly widely known that I don’t have a lot of respect for the films that were made later," he explained. "I was supportive at the time in each case for Arnold’s sake because he is a close friend. He has been a mate of mine since 33 years ago so I was always supportive and never too negative. But they didn’t work for me for various reasons."

This line actually hits the whole problem right on the head:  "Can it still have relevance now where so much of our world is catching up to what was science fiction in the first two films."

T2 was THE movie when it was released because it was so futuristically visionary and Arnold was at peak earning power.   But that was nearly 20 years ago.  Nowadays the concept of malicious AI is discussed as a legitimate future issue and no longer considered just some far fetched wacko theory.  So I guess it can be relevant in some sense, but a rebooted story about angry robots, featuring past prime Arnold who is certainly showing his age, is probably going to earn more yawns than dollars.  

The world needed and received two outstanding Terminator movies, but since then it has truly sucked watching this franchise get turned into nothing more than yet another bankable name that can net a few bucks for Hollyweird.

Terminator 6: Tim Miller is Officially Directing

Tim Miller is officially onboard to direct Terminator 6 with James Cameron producing. After multiple poor attempts to revitalize the franchise, the rights to Terminator are finally poised to revert back to Cameron come 2019. As a result, he has been working on a way to revitalize the franchise in a big way. However, as he has already lined up four additional Avatar films, he was looking for a partner in this endeavor.

Thanks to a social media post from Skydance, shared by Skynet’s Army, it has finally been confirmed that Miller will indeed direct the next Terminator film. The confirmation comes courtesy of an invite to a special 3D screening of T2 that will feature a conversation with Cameron and Miller before the movie starts. Here is a brief description of what to expect:

Join filmmakers James Cameron and Tim Miller on the Paramount Lot for an exclusive conservation with The Hollywood Reporter’s Matt Belloni about their collaboration on the upcoming Terminator.

I was entertained by 3.  It was more fun than it was contrived, and I respect Schwarzenegger for putting up his own money to finance the early car chase scene.  I couldn't get into Sarah Connor Chronicles, as much as I wanted to like it, and the Bale flick didn't feel like a Terminator.  I haven't seen the last one, and I don't see myself paying for this one either.

Arnold Schwarzenegger says new Terminator will ignore the events of Genisys

terminator-6-ignore-genisys.jpg

According to The Terminator Fans, who spoke with Arnold Schwarzenegger at the recent "An Experience With Arnold Schwarzenegger" event, we can almost certainly erase the events of TERMINATOR: GENISYS from our minds. Schwarzenegger said that the new film will be "totally ignoring Genisys," adding that "[James] Cameron was not involved in the others, so he does not acknowledge the others," meaning that we can likely count the events of TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES and TERMINATOR: SALVATION out as well. Not exactly surprising news, but sure to be welcome for those fans who have long been wanting a proper sequel to TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY.

In addition to Arnold Schwarzenegger, it was also recently revealed that Linda Hamilton would be back to reprise her role of Sarah Connor. According to Schwarzenegger, Hamilton is taking things "very seriously" and is currently in training for the film. Although Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton's characters will anchor the story, the new film will also be seen as the passing of the baton to a new generation of characters, similar to what Disney was able to do with STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

James Cameron And Tim Miller's New TERMINATOR Movie Finally Has A Release Date

The next installment from producer James Cameron and director Tim Miller is set to hit theaters on July 26th, 2019. That's much sooner than we anticipated and means shooting will kick off next year. Three attempts have been made to resurrect the franchise since Terminator 2: Judgement Day was released in 1991 but they've all been terrible and really hurt the franchise.

A writers room for the currently untitled movie was put together consisting of David Goyer, Charles Eglee, Josh Friedman, and Justin Rhodes alongside producers David Ellison and Cameron. Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to return as the T-800 alongside original Sarah Connor, Linda Hamilton. Anew cast is expected to be introduced who will then take over just like what's happened with Star Wars.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:15 PM, Red84 said:

I thought Terminator 3 was fine and I enjoyed Salvation.  I was looking forward to the rest of Salvation trilogy.

I didn't even bother seeing Genysis because the trailers looked way too stupid.

I was also hoping to get the full Salvation trilogy. I can recommend both Cold War and Trial by Fire, both novels that are set after the events of the Salvation film. Also, Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle from Dark Horse was a good read.  

HUNGER GAMES Screenwriter Billy Ray Joins TERMINATOR Sequel Writing Team

In an effort to revitalize the film series, James Cameron and Deadpool Director Tim Miller, are taking steps to create a worthy film experience. Having assembled a writing team that includes the likes of David Goyer, Justin Rhodes and Josh Friedman, Variety reports that a -script has already been completed. However, before Tim Miller can begin principal photography, Billy Ray has been brought in to do a final pass on the -script. Billy Ray's screenwriting credits includes films like Shattered Glass, The Hunger Games and Captain Phillips.

Plot details remain elusive at this time. It is known, however, that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton will return and that at some point in the movie, a transition to new, younger protagonists will take place. Furthermore, this film will be a direct sequel to 1991's T2 and thus completely ignores plot details from the disappointing sequels.

so far the most shocking thing about this thread is that there will be FOUR avatar sequels.