• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 6 directed by Tim Miller (7/26/19)
2 2

328 posts in this topic

"We are going to make all the Terminators blue. And ten feet tall. It will really stand out from all these superhero movies, which I despise," said James Cameron.

Spoiler

Just kidding.

Acclaimed filmmaker James Cameron says the planned Terminator reboot will take a more "nuanced" approach than his 1984 original.

"We’re developing a new Terminator film. And The Terminator films are all about artificial intelligence. But I would say we’re looking at it differently than when I wrote the first story in 1982," Cameron said at the press day for six-part documentary series James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction (via Collider).

"That was just your classic ‘technology bad, smart computers bad’ kind of thing. Nowadays though — it’s got to be a much more nuanced perspective. So its ‘Smart computers bad… BUT…’ That’s the new motif."

Cameron, steering his four Avatar sequels, oversees the project directed by Deadpool's Tim Miller.

The production, an overhaul of the convoluted time-hopping sci-fi series, will reunite stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton in their original roles. Cameron produces through Skydance Media.

In all honesty, I don't know how they're going to pull this off with the original cast.  Linda Hamilton is 61, and according to "Rise of the Machines" her character was dead by 2003.  Arnold is 70, and I have a hard time believing that SkyNet would put an R&D emphasis on the pros and cons of putting septuagenarian looking terminators into production.

Star Wars at least had timeline continuity in its favor in order to bring back the vintage cast for episodes VII and VIII.  But for Terminator...are they rebooting back to the 1984 film?  Good luck making that work.  Are we fast forwarding to nowadays through some alternate time fork?  Eeeesh.  Maybe working forward from 1992, and forgetting all subsequent TV and film projects ever happened?  Seems like that might be the best way forward. 

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Maybe working forward from 1992, and forgetting all subsequent TV and film projects ever happened?  Seems like that might be the best way forward. 

I think that is the idea for the new movie, it will be a direct follow-up to T2, and all other movies/tv are disregarded. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the time gap, hopefully they don't try using CGI to make the actors look younger.

31 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

In all honesty, I don't know how they're going to pull this off with the original cast.  Linda Hamilton is 61, and according to "Rise of the Machines" her character was dead by 2003.  Arnold is 70, and I have a hard time believing that SkyNet would put an R&D emphasis on the pros and cons of putting septuagenarian looking terminators into production.

Star Wars at least had timeline continuity in its favor in order to bring back the vintage cast for episodes VII and VIII.  But for Terminator...are they rebooting back to the 1984 film?  Good luck making that work.  Are we fast forwarding to nowadays through some alternate time fork?  Eeeesh.  Maybe working forward from 1992, and forgetting all subsequent TV and film projects ever happened?  Seems like that might be the best way forward. 

I think all of the movies that happen past T2 are not going to be part of this continuity. think of it like T1, T2 and the New T3/T7 reboot are James Cameron true continuity and all other movies & TV shows fall under legends. 

24 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

I think that is the idea for the new movie, it will be a direct follow-up to T2, and all other movies/tv are disregarded. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the time gap, hopefully they don't try using CGI to make the actors look younger.

I hope they do a time jump and have it that skynet was delayed until now but still succussed at the end of the movie so we can finally see how everything goes down after D-day.

16 hours ago, kagenish said:

hope they do a time jump and have it that skynet was delayed until now but still succussed at the end of the movie so we can finally see how everything goes down after D-day.

That would be interesting. Maybe the movie starts after judgement day has already happened, and the "older" T-800 and Sarah Connor are shown as survivors, then maybe they have to travel back to stop it from happening?

Too many possibilities, I'm getting excited to hear some official news.

'Terminator' Reboot Movie Logo Revealed

terminator-logo-cinemacon-1104989.jpeg

A new Terminator film is coming to theaters next fall and today at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, we got our first look at the upcoming film's official logo.

The look at the logo came during Paramount Pictures' presentation at the convention which ComicBook.com attended and from the looks of things, the logo for Terminator appears to be an updated version of the logo for the film that kicked off the entire movie franchise, 1984's The Terminator.

Terminator, which is being helmed by Deadpool director Tim Miller, will see Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton reprising their roles from that original film while original director James Cameron is producing under Skydance Media. Cameron recently told Collider that while the film is a reboot of the long-running series, it will be more "nuanced".

"We're developing a new Terminator film," Cameron said. "And the Terminator films are all about artificial intelligence. But I would say we're looking at it differently than when I wrote the first story in 1982. That was just your classic 'technology bad, smart computers bad' kind of thing. Nowadays though -- it's got to be a much more nuanced perspective. So, it's 'smart computers bad... BUT...' That's the new motif."

Dark Horse is really making this a good year... New Predator limited series and a new Terminator limited series only a week apart!! Brand new books to keep the hype up for new movies. I wasn't even aware that DH reaquired the license for Terminator, I think Dynamite had it last?  @kav @Parabellum  (not calling you guys out, just wanted to share the news since there aren't too many die-hard Terminator fans around)

TSW-1A.jpg.7b00a6be85bfb9bba300fc1b16230cf2.jpgTSW-1B.jpg.9d9cc3f0a202c575ba1b89e416bb01b9.jpg

Have yo

2 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Dark Horse is really making this a good year... New Predator limited series and a new Terminator limited series only a week apart!! Brand new books to keep the hype up for new movies. I wasn't even aware that DH reaquired the license for Terminator, I think Dynamite had it last?  @kav @Parabellum  (not calling you guys out, just wanted to share the news since there aren't too many die-hard Terminator fans around)

TSW-1A.jpg.7b00a6be85bfb9bba300fc1b16230cf2.jpgTSW-1B.jpg.9d9cc3f0a202c575ba1b89e416bb01b9.jpg

Have you read the SM Stirling terminator books they are awesome also his book Drakon.  Terminator trivia: when the T100 was flying the helicoptor, he had 3 arms.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

Have yo

Have you read the SM Stirling terminator books they are awesome also his book Drakon.  Terminator trivia: when the T100 was flying the helicoptor, he had 3 arms.

I've only read the novels that were based on Terminator Salvation, the movie prequel, Cold War and Trial by Fire. I thought Cold War was really good, I like the concept of the resistance commanders staying hidden from Skynet by using the submarine as a base.

Yes, three arms:

3ARMS.thumb.jpg.9560e1d022ed6501dfdb414c8e666a70.jpg

More trivia:

In the chase scene where John/Arnie/Sarah are being chased by the nitro tanker

-what type of vehicle do they commandeer (Chevy S-10)

-what is the name of the company on the side of said vehicle (Bol-L-Gol Gardening)

I know I've watched this movie way too many times when I can remember this kind of stuff.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

I've only read the novels that were based on Terminator Salvation, the movie prequel, Cold War and Trial by Fire. I thought Cold War was really good, I like the concept of the resistance commanders staying hidden from Skynet by using the submarine as a base.

Yes, three arms:

3ARMS.thumb.jpg.9560e1d022ed6501dfdb414c8e666a70.jpg

More trivia:

In the chase scene where John/Arnie/Sarah are being chased by the nitro tanker

-what type of vehicle do they commandeer (Chevy S-10)

-what is the name of the company on the side of said vehicle (Bol-L-Gol Gardening)

I know I've watched this movie way too many times when I can remember this kind of stuff.

I just ordered cold war thx for the tip.  But you must read SM Stirling Infiltrator you have no choice really.  

For some reason cameron cut the scenes where the T1000 was fritzing out from the repeated damage he kept losing control and merging into objects around him.  Its in the directors cut and I think the movie is better with them.  He did cut the scene where they do surgery on the terminator to reset from read only so it could learn to explain why the terminator became more human-cameron realized this could be explained with a mere sentence-"the more contact I have with humans the more I learn".  He was very efficient that way cutting away anything uneccessary.  I challenge you to find a single uneccessary scene or clip in that movie.  Most films have tons of them.

Here's a trivia for you-when the semi truck smashes down into the culvert, the windshield flies off.  Its back again in the next scene.   There were 2 trucks one prepped as the damaged drivable vehicle and the one that was demolished and undrivable after crashing.

15 minutes ago, kav said:

I just ordered cold war thx for the tip.  But you must read SM Stirling Infiltrator you have no choice really.  

For some reason cameron cut the scenes where the T1000 was fritzing out from the repeated damage he kept losing control and merging into objects around him.  Its in the directors cut and I think the movie is better with them.  He did cut the scene where they do surgery on the terminator to reset from read only so it could learn to explain why the terminator became more human-cameron realized this could be explained with a mere sentence-"the more contact I have with humans the more I learn".  He was very efficient that way cutting away anything uneccessary.  I challenge you to find a single uneccessary scene or clip in that movie.  Most films have tons of them.

Here is a thread I started a while back talking about the DVD easter eggs for T2, if you have that version of DVD check it out.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/423410-blu-raydvd-easter-eggs/

Thank you for the recommendation on Infiltrator, on my list now.

Edited by Jimbo749

1 minute ago, Jimbo749 said:

Here is a thread I started a while back talking about the DVD easter eggs for T2, if you have that version of DVD check it out.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/423410-blu-raydvd-easter-eggs/

Thank you for the recommendation on Infiltrator, on my list now.

Its a trilogy infiltrator, rising storm, future war.  The book Drakon features a genetically modified race vs humans and what happens when one lands back in our era it is fascinating.  

there's also a trilogy by russell blackford that is good, but not as good as the Stirling books. times of trouble, dark future and an evil hour.  Also aaron allston has 2 good ones. terminator dreams and terminator hunt.

anyone read the  Mark W. Tiedemann  books?

I also recommend the Terminator 2 Illustrated Screenplay. Not only extra scenes that were not used and dialogue changes but reading how cameron and wisher described the setting etc.

Ps Eddie furlong was literally picked up off the streets of LA cameron saw him skating or something and thought he would be perfect and he was.  cameron was not amused however when arnold and eddie joked around on set-arnold could turn it off immediately but eddie would still be giggling and stuff.