• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Whitman Themed 3-packs
4 4

105 posts in this topic

Are Any of the Star Wars 3-packs especially hard to find? The eBay prices seem to be all over the map. Many listed now for hundreds of dollars but there was a recent sale for just 6.99.

In my experience, the higher numbered packs are harder.

1-3 are everywhere, then the next few are readily available, but I had a tough time finding the packs with books above 10 or so. I'm still missing at least one, and possibly two of them, and I've had searches on for a decade.

I agree with most of this except I have found the packs with 10-12, 13-15, 16-18 also easy to find. It is everything after those that become harder.

Granted, 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9 are pretty common and there are several who are sitting on lots (cases) of them. But the next 3 are not exactly hard to find in my experience.

Edited by rjrjr

Are Any of the Star Wars 3-packs especially hard to find? The eBay prices seem to be all over the map. Many listed now for hundreds of dollars but there was a recent sale for just 6.99.

In my experience, the higher numbered packs are harder.

1-3 are everywhere, then the next few are readily available, but I had a tough time finding the packs with books above 10 or so. I'm still missing at least one, and possibly two of them, and I've had searches on for a decade.

I agree with most of this except I have found the packs with 10-12, 13-15, 16-18 also easy to find. It is everything after those that become harder.

Granted, 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9 are pretty common and there are several who are sitting on lots (cases) of them. But the next 3 are not exactly hard to find in my experience.

Ok. I wouldn't argue with that.

I really want to put the display together, but it would require folding the display, and it still lays flat.

What do you guys think? Build or leave?

If i can quote The Housemartins, Bah bah bah bah BUILD!

I really want to! hm

Seriously, unless you're saving this stuff for a future sale, or are obsessive about preserving the condition, then build it. It's what it was made for and how cool will it look in your man cave :cloud9:

:banana:

This would be one of the last things I would sell, but I am a bit obsessive about condition :whistle:

I really want to put the display together, but it would require folding the display, and it still lays flat.

I really want to! hm

Seriously, unless you're saving this stuff for a future sale, or are obsessive about preserving the condition, then build it. It's what it was made for and how cool will it look in your man cave :cloud9:

This would be one of the last things I would sell, but I am a bit obsessive about condition :whistle:

The question is, does the display that cannot be seen actually exist.....? hm

Build it. Love it. Revel in it. And most importantly, send us all a picture of it when you've done it. :cloud9:

What a great thread, love the pics! The last thing I need to do is start collecting something new, but this gives me the itch...

I really want to! hm

The question is, does the display that cannot be seen actually exist.....? hm

Build it. Love it. Revel in it. And most importantly, send us all a picture of it when you've done it. :cloud9:

Yes!

If/when I build it, I will post pics for sure!

What a great thread, love the pics! The last thing I need to do is start collecting something new, but this gives me the itch...

Do it! It's easy to start, there are many for sale now for cheap (not mine). It's all the ones that aren't easy that are the problem lol

On 1/22/2017 at 11:15 AM, wormboy said:

As you can see here, it looks like there were two of these displays produced: This one, and one for Shogun Warriors/Micronauts! Does anyone have the other one? Or maybe even a pic?

Well I didn't find the Shogun/Micronauts shipper, but I did find the answer to whether the Star Wars shipper interior is printed. Picked this up last week:

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.00f8d9abcb5c6e97e7cccb19807c3f88.JPGIMG_0328.thumb.JPG.4617680841003c58f50a259c38a728b8.JPGIMG_0327.thumb.JPG.f606c12d59453b76e61f11d5e1bbb9f0.JPG

No printing on the interior :cry:

Edited by wormboy

On 1/22/2017 at 10:29 AM, wormboy said:

Star Wars

I don't think there is a pack with 19-22, but again, would love to be proven wrong!

Speaking as somebody whose subscription to Star Wars began with #21, and getting 4-18 in the 3 packs around that time, I can tell you with great certainty that I never saw them.  My family spent about a year looking every single time we got to the store; up until we moved overseas for a few years.  I remember my parents promising they would buy the pack even if it meant getting an extra copy of #21, just so I could have the issues.

Oddly, we never found the 1-3 pack, either.  I didn't get those until around 1981, when my parents ordered me all the missing issues from Mile High, as well as another subscription to the title.  Even then, the #19 and #20 were out of stock; I think it wasn't until 1986 or so when I was back in the US and discovered comic book stores that I finally tracked down the #19 and #20.  Ironically, I found them at Golden Age Collectables at the Pike Place Market in Seattle; which existed in the 70's and for all I know had had them in stock since we were first looking.  We just didn't know the store was there, even as we got up into Seattle every couple of months. 

Ah, memories of the hunt.  Those were the first back issues I ever went searching for...

On 7/21/2017 at 8:15 PM, fastballspecial said:

Anybody give me some background on these single books? First one of these I have found.

1oJcZeEm.jpg

What do you mean by "single books"?

Is there only one book in there? If so, I'd guess it's an error, as the price on the front is still 99 cents. Still pretty cool.